Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
My kids left to school with no breakfast:(

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 9:16 am
My two girls age 5 and 9. I woke them early, they kept rolling over in bed. (Clothing was prepared the night before already). I kept trying to get them dressed, they kept resisting. 9 yr old finally got dressed but 5 yr old still resisted. I kept running downstairs to put breakfast in toaster so they can eat toast on the go...I knew they won't have time to sit down to cereal and milk or oatmeal like usual. We ran out of the house they each holding a piece of bread in their hands. I drove them to the bus stop they almost missed the bus. I have no idea if they are or not.

They did fall asleep late last night. Homework, bath and bedtime went as per schedule (homework at 6:30, bath at 7, bed by 7:30). but they kept coming out of bed jumping around. So they only ended up falling asleep at 10:00.

How can I work things out tonight and tomorrow morning so that they have a more peaceful morning, breakfast included? I'm really looking forward to changing the clock....

glamourmom

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 9:22 am
you sound amazing and devoted. if they went out with toast in their hand, I'd say that's breakfast enough. everyone has rough mornings if this is what a rushed morning looks like in your home, kudos to you. keep it up.

no advice regarding bedtime. sorry.

miami85

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 9:26 am
I was not a big breakfast fan in my youth and I survived. I see many kids doing that--eating toast or a roll-- while walking to the bus. In my house, my kids refuse to get dressed until they eat At wits end At wits end At wits end b/c I keep telling them that they can eat while walking, they cant get dressed while walking.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 9:35 am
if my kids waste time in the morning, they get a bag of cereal or a toaster waffle on the way out. if they want breakfast at home, they need to get moving quicker. you did fine.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 9:38 am
amother wrote:
My two girls age 5 and 9. I woke them early, they kept rolling over in bed. (Clothing was prepared the night before already). I kept trying to get them dressed, they kept resisting. 9 yr old finally got dressed but 5 yr old still resisted. I kept running downstairs to put breakfast in toaster so they can eat toast on the go...I knew they won't have time to sit down to cereal and milk or oatmeal like usual. We ran out of the house they each holding a piece of bread in their hands. I drove them to the bus stop they almost missed the bus. I have no idea if they are or not.

They did fall asleep late last night. Homework, bath and bedtime went as per schedule (homework at 6:30, bath at 7, bed by 7:30). but they kept coming out of bed jumping around. So they only ended up falling asleep at 10:00.

How can I work things out tonight and tomorrow morning so that they have a more peaceful morning, breakfast included? I'm really looking forward to changing the clock....

If they are or not what????

Toast is breakfast. That's what happens when kids loaf around in bed in the mornings. You can try getting them to bed earlier but honestly, they will move faster in the mornings if they feel sitting down to breakfast is important to them. Otherwise they may be just fine walking out with a slice of toast in hand.

You kids did not go to school w/o breakfast if they had toast though. They're fine.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 9:44 am
You sent toast with them. They'll be OK and hopefully learn for next time. I've done the same in such emergency situations.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 9:56 am
amother wrote:

It sounds like this isn't a daily occurrence, so I'd just let it go.

If it does happen more frequently, though, try a later bedtime, especially for the 9 year old. Recommended sleep for a 9 year-old is only 9 to 11 hours a night, with some kids needing as little as 7 to 8 hours. So unless she needs to be up at 5, 7:30 is really early for her. She's probably sleep better if she's more tired, at 8:30 or maybe even 9.

iyar

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 9:59 am
Mothers spend too much energy feeling guilty that they're kids are not getting enough from them.
And not enough time telling themselves they're doing a great job!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 10:01 am
And here I'm feeling bad because DD (8) ate 1/2 a grapefruit for breakfast today. She refused to eat anything else. I'd have been happy if she had toast.

OP your kids ate breakfast. Some mornings I can't get DD to eat. She says she's not in the mood. And oh, she also sometimes skips school lunches. Picky eater.

My pediatrician says it's a mother's job to offer food. Kid chooses to eat or not. I'm just surviving as a mother with that...

momofone613

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 11:26 am
when I saw the title I thought they didn't have anything to eat in the morning. toast on the way to school, completely fine! I did that growing up! they are ok. Smile

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 11:46 am
They'll be fine. If they find that this is not enough food, they'll start waking up earlier so they have time to eat more.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 1:54 pm
Ditto to the previous posters. If your children were hungry then they would have made time to eat. If they regret not eating at home this morning then it was a good lesson to them that wasting time has consequences.

Some people just don't get hungry first thing in the morning. I often don't eat breakfast until late morning. I have a daughter just like that and I certainly can't force her to eat when I wouldn't want to myself. I just make sure she brings plenty of food with her to school so she can eat when she does get hungry.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 2:04 pm
My kids are having a hard time waking up in the dark morning too. I think (hope!) it'll get easier when we move the clock and the sun rises at 6:30 instead of at 7:30.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children