Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Plain chocolate birthday cake recipe please

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 11:05 pm
I have found that my regular chocolate cake recipes don't do well as birthday cakes because they are too soft. I need something I can bake in a round tin, turn out onto a tray, and frost decoratively without it falling apart.

Would like something simple, no fancy ingredients, and does not even need to be amazingly delicious - just good plain old-fashioned cake. If it's too good we'll have a harder time with portion control Wink

I've been using the same go-to plain, firm birthday cake recipe forever but the current birthday girl (tomorrow, and her other birthday passed already in the yomtov blur, so this is dire) requested chocolate. I don't have time for mistakes!

imeinu

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 12:08 am
This is the cake you are looking for. The best part about it is that there are no eggs so it is great if there are any allergic kids. We dont have allergies B"H, but this cake made it onto the top 5 erev shabbos recipes in our house b/c of its ease and that you dont need a mixer but can mix it all straight in the 9" pan so barely any cleanup.
If you want a higher cake, you can make a double recipe (use a mixer, though) and pile one cake on the other.

Quick as a Wink Chocolate Cake
1.5 c flour
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 c. oil
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup water
1 tsp vinegar

Instructions. Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients besides for the vinegar very well. Then add the tsp of vinegar and incorporate fully. Bake in a 9" round pan for 45 minutes.

Teomima

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 12:24 am
Google Hershey chocolate cake. Perfect every time. Moist, delicious, but firm enough to stack/carve.

etky

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 1:22 am
Both recipes - the eggless cake and the Hershey's are standbys in my home.
Both are delicious and quick to make.
However I vote for the eggless cake for birthday cake as I think it is slightly firmer and thus easier to manipluate than the Hershey's.

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 1:35 am
Etky, thanks for the comparison!

imeinu

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 10:36 pm
can you post the hersheys cake recipe? (cant google, on a whitelist)
I'd love to try it. The cake I make now is Ulitmate choco cake from Kosher Pallate but it calls for a cup of non-dairy creamer that I dont always have on hand. I'd love to see another moist cake.

imeinu

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 10:38 pm
never mind.
I just found out that hersheys chocolate cake IS the same recipe as Ultimate chocolate cake recipe in kosher pallate!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 11:31 pm
imeinu wrote:
never mind.
I just found out that hersheys chocolate cake IS the same recipe as Ultimate chocolate cake recipe in kosher pallate!

I use soy milk or rice milk or any other milk in the Hershey cake.

Teomima

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 3:13 am
imeinu wrote:
never mind.

That's good to know! I never noticed that recipe in Kosher Palette. Regarding the dairy substitute (Hershey's just calls for milk), I use soy milk. Also, I'm lazy about the boiling water and just use the hottest water I can get out from the tap.

shanie5

Post Wed, Nov 02 2016, 8:59 pm
Hot water from the tap may not be the best thing. If you have lead pipes, the hot water has a higher percentage of lead in it.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Nov 02 2016, 9:53 pm
Quick & yummy chocolate cake:
4 eggs
2 1/2 cups sugar
Mix, then add
1 vanilla sugar
2 cup coco
2 tsp. baking powder
3 tsp. coffee dissolved in 2 cups water
3/4 cup oil
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 cups flour

Bake at 350 35-40 minutes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins