Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Free Anti-Virus/Spy-ware Software

Sherri

Post Sat, Aug 22 2009, 5:19 pm
Right now I have software that I am paying $80/year for- Trend Micro. (Does anyone know of it?)
I have K9 for my Internet filter and I am really happy with it, and it's free. Does you know of free software to protect my computer against viruses and spyware? Thanks.

benny

Post Sat, Aug 22 2009, 10:19 pm
try avg. Its pretty good.

Sherri

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 5:22 am
Okay, I'll check into it. Anyone have anything else to say?

nech770

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 12:28 am
AVAST and AVIRA are also both pretty good

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 12:36 am
I like Avira.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 4:03 am
ChossidMom wrote:
I like Avira.

Doesn't Avira have a 30 day evaluation? Does it work for all Windows?

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 6:16 pm
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:
I like Avira.

Doesn't Avira have a 30 day evaluation? Does it work for all Windows?

They all have evaluations. But you can continue to use it. they just prompt you every now and then to upgrade. It works on all Windows platforms afaik.

maidale

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 4:26 am
I find avira very heavy, and that it slows down my pc. I've used both AVG and avast and am very happy with both. They both have a free version which works really well.

maidale

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 4:26 am
I find avira very heavy, and that it slows down my pc. I've used both AVG and avast and am very happy with both. They both have a free version which works really well.

Mevater

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 11:02 pm
Whats considered the best free Anti-Virus, now, years later?

thnkuHashem2146

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 11:06 pm
The IT consultant I work with uses pandaantivirus

smile12345

Post Sat, Nov 05 2016, 12:28 pm
If you are using Windows - Windows 8 or 10 includes an in-bult anti-virus called Windows Defender so there's no need for anything else. (It detected a virus recently in an email attachment I received so seems to work well.)

For earlier versions you can download Microsoft Security Essentials from Microsoft website for free.

I much prefer this than other anti-virus softwares since it just runs quietly in the background. I used to have Mcafee and I used to call it a virus in itself since it kept bothering me with useless notifications on my screen the whole time.

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Nov 05 2016, 8:36 pm
smile12345 wrote:
If you are using Windows - Windows 8 or 10 includes an in-bult anti-virus called Windows Defender so there's no need for anything else. (It detected a virus recently in an email attachment I received so seems to work well.)

For earlier versions you can download Microsoft Security Essentials from Microsoft website for free.

I much prefer this than other anti-virus softwares since it just runs quietly in the background. I used to have Mcafee and I used to call it a virus in itself since it kept bothering me with useless notifications on my screen the whole time.

The IT department at my company also recommends using Windows Defender. However, that only provides anti-virus. It would be a good idea to also run an anti-malware/anti-spyware program such as Malwarebytes. I believe there is a free version, but the paid version provides more options.

smile12345

Post Sat, Nov 05 2016, 8:57 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
The IT department at my company also recommends using Windows Defender. However, that only provides anti-virus. It would be a good idea to also run an anti-malware/anti-spyware program such as Malwarebytes. I believe there is a free version, but the paid version provides more options.

As far as I know, malware and spyware is just another way of saying virus. According to Microsoft it works for everything...

Definition from Microsoft:

What is Windows Defender?

Windows Defender is malware protection that is included with and built into Windows 8. This software helps identify and remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

Windows Defender runs in the background and notifies you when you need to take specific action. However, you can use it anytime to scan for malware if your computer isn’t working properly or if you clicked a suspicious link online or in an email message.

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Nov 05 2016, 8:58 pm
smile12345 wrote:
As far as I know, malware and spyware is just another way of saying virus. According to Microsoft it works for everything...

Definition from Microsoft:

What is Windows Defender?

Windows Defender is malware protection that is included with and built into Windows 8. This software helps identify and remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

Windows Defender runs in the background and notifies you when you need to take specific action. However, you can use it anytime to scan for malware if your computer isn’t working properly or if you clicked a suspicious link online or in an email message.

I don't know. On my system, Malwarebytes has picked up stuff that Defender didn't get.

thnkuHashem2146

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 1:58 am
windows defender is not the be all end all if you have it running it's probably good enough to do the basics but I wouldn't say it's the top
pandaantivirus, as opposed to other free anti-viruses, runs quietly in the background, doesn't hog lots of resources, doesn't have any extra pop ups asking/telling you to upgrade, and overall does a very good job
malwarebytes is also great - pretty powerful - but as far as I kno you have to manually scan the computer (I don't think it runs in the background but I haven't looked into that much recently)

zissy2004

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 6:11 am
For windows 10 I use the built in defender and I downloaded antiMalwarebytes. Together they make a good team.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics