Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby ALWAYS has a cold

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 11:30 am
My 9 month old basically has a never ending cold. Well, that's not entirely true; it'll clear up for a few days here and there, and then another one hits. It is definitely just a cold, the doctor keeps checking him out and it is always a cold. Also, he almost never gets a fever, and although the stuffy nose is uncomfortable for him, he's otherwise happy and feels fine. It affects his sleep terribly, he doesn't sleep well because his nose is stuffed. I have the mattress at an angle, which helps a bit, but it's still a problem. I went off dairy for a few weeks, and there was no difference. Also there's really nothing you can do for a cold except wait for it to go away. Doctor is not a fan of decongestants, so I don't use them. I use the saline and the nose thingy to clear him out and also have him breathe steam. I am fanatical about washing hands, especially those of my older kids, who are in school/playgroup and exposed to who knows what. What else can I do? Also, I desperately need a good a night's sleep, which won't happen with a stuffy nose.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 11:58 am
They say a dairy sensitivity can do that and it takes more than a couple of weeks to test it... if it's true I don't know. My mom gave me soy formula and no dairy because I always had colds as a baby.

rachel6543

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 12:00 pm
Sounds like you are doing all the right things.

Do you use a cold mist humidifier? I find that helps too. My doctor recommended this.

My son was definitely sick a lot as a baby toddler, caught lots of viruses & cold from daycare. However, once he was 4-5 years old, he's been overall very healthy and almost never gets sick anymore. So hopefully that will be the same for your baby.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 12:34 pm
I do use a cold mist humidifier too. I'm starting to get worried that he may need his adenoids out, like some of his older siblings. But I don't remember them having it this bad, and they had the surgery at around 2. Maybe I should have the ENT look at him? Poor little guy. Dh is taking a turn sitting with him in the steamy bathroom right now.

MyUsername

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 2:07 pm
Try an ENT, he may have nasal polyps. It also might just be colds. There is a small chance it is an environmental allergy, make sure to wash his bedding and any other soft items in the bedroom frequently (curtains, rugs, stuffed animals, etc).

bnm

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 3:47 pm
ENT.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics