Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Resources for next step?

BabsB

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 9:13 pm
We had our very first parent-teacher conference today for our kindergarten son (oldest child). B"H he is doing very well academically and learning as he should.

But, the big thing we need to work on is his motivation. Starting a task, staying on task, finishing diligently, etc. They did say that once he finishes his work it is wonderfully done and is completing advanced challenges, but getting him started is a problem. (I also suffer with this lack of motivation if it matters.) The teachers are spending a significant amount of time "sitting on him" to prod him to do his work. While yes, it's ok now because he is in such a small kindergarten class, it will get more difficult as time goes on.

I'm going to spend some time looking specifically for books, but also blogs, podcasts, etc. to help in this area. But in the interim, can anyone suggest a jumping off point for me. How do I spark self-motivation and willpower in a 5-6 year old?

Thanks!

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 9:54 pm
In kindergarten, a problem getting started is not motivation. It's executive function. Especially since you say he does the work wonderfully and completes challenges - motivation is not the issue. At this age it doesn't indicate a serious deficiency (because EF can develop at different speeds), just something to work on.

Now you know what to google Wink Hope that helps!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children