Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Lakewood - what business is needed?

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 11:12 am
Hello,
DH is looking to purchase or start a business in Lakewood but there are so many businesses here...
Are there any suggestions of what type of business is needed in Lakewood?
Any business or service you feel you need but don't have in Lakewood?
Thank you for any feedback you may have.

sky

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 11:27 am
Cleaning Agency. Make sure they have transportation to get there and babysitting for their kids.

Not really a full business but does anyone sell customized knecklases in Lakewood - like for little girl presents, that you can find on every street corner in Israel. If not perhaps make them and sell through the local stores.

With the expanding senior population (everyone moving to be near their kids) - maybe something to service them. For example outfitting home with senior equipment - like bathroom, steps, etc. Billing insurance.

cnc

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 11:51 am
A mikvah
A school

all kidding aside, I think the cleaning agency is a good idea.People in Lakewood are always complaining about the lack of cleaning help.

kollel wife

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 12:01 pm
There've been cleaning lady agents, over the years - I think it's very hard to make any sort of profit.

Maybe it could be doable. I don't know.

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 12:42 pm
Thank you so much for your ideas and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

benny

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 2:04 pm
I know ppl who have had cleaning lady agencies over the years. The challenges were that there are not enough ladies to go around. (As crazy as that may seem!) we are a huge community and very many of us have/need cleaning help.

Anther issue was that the ladies overall aren't great at reliability so there were a lot of issues.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 3:54 pm
Good and well priced sushi like a franchise of Sushi Tokyo (in 5 towns and Brooklyn).

A babysitting agency with Jewish girls that provides transportation for the babysitters or matches you up with someone nearby.

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 6:40 am
Hello. I am bumping this up. We still haven’t been able to figure out a business for DH to do. Do you have any ideas of what businesses are needed In Lakewood? Thank you so much.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 7:31 am
No ideas. But finally a sushi store opened with good tasting sushi and decent prices, sushi nation, so that's no longer needed.

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 8:53 am
I've never been there - I'm not a big fan of sushi. I am reading the thread about the BMG and people who learned there and are making 200K. I wish that would be the case for my DH. He is so smart and so capable and is working at a job that is not meeting his potential.
He has a disability in which he can't talk on the phone which makes it hard to connect with people to work on starting a business. I wish he could start a business with decent income and meet his potential like all those guys in BMG.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 9:07 am
They didn't start out at 200k. They started lower, worked hard until they made it to where they are.

leah233

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 9:32 am
A moving business. His investment would be limited. He can rent a truck and contract workers as needed.

Does it have to be in Lakewood itself?

Would he consider buying and setting up a franchise in a neighboring town? (Buying a national franchise and setting it up in Lakewood is probably not a good idea)

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 10:03 am
TriesToBePerfectMom wrote:
I've never been there - I'm not a big fan of sushi. I am reading the thread about the BMG and people who learned there and are making 200K. I wish that would be the case for my DH. He is so smart and so capable and is working at a job that is not meeting his potential.
He has a disability in which he can't talk on the phone which makes it hard to connect with people to work on starting a business. I wish he could start a business with decent income and meet his potential like all those guys in BMG.

Hugs but not everyone is meant to open a business. What else can he do to increase his earning potential? Could speech therapy help him?

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 11:02 am
Thanks for your response. No speech therapy won't help him. He currently works in e-commerce and has a business from our home but it doesn't bring that much profit. We would love to find another business for him to start and run. The problem with Lakewood is there are so many businesses here already. He definitely has the drive and intelligence to start a business. We are both very determined and courageous. We have been discussing this for years already which business he should go into. Another problem is we do not have much capital at this time to invest into a business. B"H I work so we manage okay with finances.

rgr

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 11:18 am
dancingqueen wrote:
Hugs but not everyone is meant to open a business. What else can he do to increase his earning potential? Could speech therapy help him?

Just curious why you would suggest speech therapy?

shoshanim999

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 11:25 am
TriesToBePerfectMom wrote:

My blessing is that your husband should be successful in all areas in life and he should make a fantastic parnassah.
That thread about BMG that was referencing many of them making 200k is very misleading. We don't have actual data to really understand what's really happening. I am very skeptical of anyone who claims that a large percentage of BMG guys who leave when they are 30, are making 200k. Unless they have a family business to get involved in. Please don't be mislead by a few random posts that would sort of indicate otherwise.

Simple1

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 11:45 am
I don't have business experience, but from what I have read -unless the market is really flooded, it's OK to open a business that already exists. In fact it might even sometimes be better because you can look and see which ones are more successful and viable. And you could even benefit from piggyback marketing in which some of the people who see the other ads end up going to you.

Chocomama

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 11:52 am
Does he have any hobbies that might be able to turn into a business?

I think I read about a guy who liked to make dips for Shabbos and he turned it into a business supplying many stores in the tri-state area.

Otherwise, I'd suggest doing a seasonal job. It brings in money and helps u meet ppl who may also have ideas. Like selling esrogim, building and taking down sukkahs, stuff like that.. if he is handy with tools.

What about a taxi service? There are a lot of chassidim moving into Lkwd I have heard. The women often don't drive, so that might be a need that could be filled with not too much capital outlay.

Good luck!

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 1:46 pm
Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions. DH is super-creative and is an artist. He loves to paint but doesn't want to make this a parnasa as it is not a steady and reliable parnasa.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics