Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Need Help With Crocheting a Kippah

smalka

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 2:25 pm
I posted in the MO forum, but it was suggested that I broaden my scope so I am posting here as well.

It's been many years since I crocheted a kippah. I promised my sons that I would crochet one for each of them.

However, I have forgotten [or perhaps never knew Smile] the rules about when to increase.

Can anyone tell me a rule-of-thumb about increasing? I want to keep it flat until towards the end when I start the pattern.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 8:35 pm
You start with a chain of let's say five stitches. Next row two into each stitch. Next row two into every second stitch. Next row two into every third stitch. When the top is fairly flat & you're ready for the sides to go straight down you stop increasing. Depending on size of head, of course.

My yarmulka crocheting days are some decades ago : ) but I've crocheted hats for grandchildren & it's very similar...

smalka

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 5:02 pm
Thanks. I am kind of winging it. I am at about row 30 and have been increasing once for each number of rows. It seems to be working more or less, although it's looking a bit wavy.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 5:29 pm
You can try smoothing it over a bowl but if it's wavy I'd rip out and increase less.

smalka

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 5:32 pm
I have been flattening it on the table. It's mostly flat with a bit of a wave. Can't bear the thought of ripping out too many stitches Smile

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 7:52 pm
no, don't use the table. use a cereal bowl or whatever is closest to the head in question : )
also better to rip now than waste your time til the end!

smalka

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 6:39 pm
Okay, thanks.

rsc8

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 5:51 am
I know this is an old post but trying my luck! when you say dont increase do you mean if my last row is a double every 25 I continue doing rows of 25?

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 6:01 am
If it’s getting wavy you’re increasing too much.

rsc8

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 6:57 am
sorry I mean to make the edges curved, I find that I make very flat kippot and then when it comes to making it curved it never turns out quite right.
So to make it curved should I just keep going with 25 and then a double or two a few rows with no doubles?

Rappel

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 7:45 am
rsc8 wrote:
sorry I mean to make the edges curved, I find that I make very flat kippot and then when it comes to making it curved it never turns out quite right.
So to make it curved should I just keep going with 25 and then a double or two a few rows with no doubles?

I make the giant kippot, and I just stop adding stitches when I want it to curve and go down onto the head . I think the same theory would apply if you did a small kippah any you only stopped adding stitches for the last few rows.

EBY

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 9:05 am
In general for small kippot (I'm assuming you are using the thinner string and smaller hook? Aka American size/style) if you are doing a 12/14 line design just around the outside, you stop increasing when you get to the design. So if yours doesn't have a design but you want it to cup at the end, I'd probably stop increasing like 10/12 lines before the end. If it cups a little too much, you can wet it and stretch it out to shape it when you are done. Hope that helps.

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 11:13 am
The tighter your stitches, the stiffer and harder to shape your kippah will be. If your stitches are looser, any irregularity in shape can be fudged by stretching to shape every so often as you work and then simply wetting and stretching the finished product over a bowl, wig form or human head till it dries.

smalka

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 2:56 pm
Wow, I'm so glad this thread is continuing even though I gave up crocheting kippot for the moment :-)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics