Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How Does Your 10 Year Old Son Entertain Himself?
Previous  1  2

mamita

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 12:02 pm
He might enjoy woodworking. Or learning how to use tools. My boys learned professionally and now they love fixing a screw hinge or lightbulb. They loved sukkos. But I do have to warn them no fixing/tools without permission

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 12:17 pm
Does your son have a hobby? If so, now is the time to build him up.

My son loves music and we give him keyboard lessons. At this point he is pretty good and then he's bored he'll sit down and play songs. He has a good time with it,using his amplifier and getting the other kids to sing on the mic or dance.

He also loves board games. I let him invite over a friend once or twice a week and they play for hours.

If your son is into electronics, there's something called "circuit snaps" where they can create things using electricity. Google it .... if this is something your son would like it could keep him busy for hours.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 12:17 pm
Ok a few answers.
He can't bake all day every day because he monopolies my kitchen once or twice a week is enough.

We have one computer for the kids, they have to split screen time between them. He enjoys listening to music and watching movies and shows. Not so much games. I also am lookung for alternatives to screen time.

He hates all arts and crafts. They do arts in school he's doesn't enjoy it.

He loves sports but most kids are not out in the afternoons here in winter and sports (biking, soccer, basketball) are no fun alone.

A hoop indoors is impractical in our house.

He considers Lego a craft. But I wonder if his attitude may have changed now that he's older.

In addition to my ten year-old son, I have three girls and I find that they have always been able to entertain themselves, a lot of pretend play and for older DD reading.

I got some good ideas on this thread thanks.

gold21

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 1:11 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
Ok a few answers.
He can't bake all day every day because he monopolies my kitchen once or twice a week is enough.

We have one computer for the kids, they have to split screen time between them. He enjoys listening to music and watching movies and shows. Not so much games. I also am lookung for alternatives to screen time.

He hates all arts and crafts. They do arts in school he's doesn't enjoy it.

He loves sports but most kids are not out in the afternoons here in winter and sports (biking, soccer, basketball) are no fun alone.

A hoop indoors is impractical in our house.

He considers Lego a craft. But I wonder if his attitude may have changed now that he's older.

In addition to my ten year-old son, I have three girls and I find that they have always been able to entertain themselves, a lot of pretend play and for older DD reading.

I got some good ideas on this thread thanks.

I don't really like it when my kids watch movies. It turns them into zombies. So they watch very sparingly.

I think watching a sports game is much more wholesome.

What kind of Lego do you have? Do you have good sets, with ninjas, pirates, superheros? A really good set should keep him occupied.

onlyone

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 6:40 pm
I may have a unpopular suggestion, but how about playing games on the computer, or tablet if you have one? or even watch tv (if you have a TV.) I think ther is too much fuss about limiting screen time. there was no such thing when I was a kid, and I watched lots of tv and played Nintendo for hours Smile

nicole81

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 7:07 pm
Would he be into "magic" tricks? My 11yo spends some of his screen time researching different tricks, especially card tricks, and he then practices and perfects him. He also tries to develop his own. You could also get him a book on it to get him started.

He also likes putting things together and always helps me with stuff around the house instead of my husband. He just picked up a home improvement book off my bookshelf from Home Depot and is making his way through that (different than other types of reading since it's mechanical writing plus tons of visuals).

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 7:54 pm
I have an almost 10 yo and an over 11 yo -- both avid readers, but after that, very little similar in personality.

My older one loves these single player games as mentioned -- I just got him Codemasters by ThinkFun which he is really enjoying, once I worked him through a few. He loves to bake as well, and if I see him getting bored, I will give him a kitchen assignment. He loves working with his hands, so I give him handyman jobs. He needs structure or gets bored, so I try to keep a list of things for him to do in my mind, not as entertainment, but as a "mission" to accomplish. He is also great with babies and will play with mine. He's gone out to be a mother's helper as well. I really don't give computer time but to fill his technology needs I got a shared LeapPad with no wifi enabled and though it's below his level, the games/photo taking and filtering stuff, etc do scratch that itch when it comes up without it being addictive. I got him roller blades for his birthday, and he will get out some energy skating in circles on our playroom floor.

My younger one is much more social and likely to be at a friend's house. He is more into cooking than baking, though he will do either. He many times likes to help with supper, or make his own if he doesn't like mine. He can entertain himself easily, if he's not in reading la-la land, but he also finds it fun to play with and entertain younger children. He likes brainteasers of many sorts as well as sports things that he does inside when outdoors is not feasible. He enjoys playing the keyboard as well.

imasinger

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 8:46 pm
Thanks for the suggestion -- I love ThinkFun, and just ordered Code Master for my DS. He also really enjoyed PathWords from that company. After we finished all their puzzles, we had fun making our own.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 8:52 pm
There are some games he can play by himself like Rush hour. Theres a great game my kids love-IQ fun I think. You have a small board with pieces. Theres a book with different patterns. You have to make sure all pieces fit in exactly. It's like 9 bucks. I got it at Target but I have seen it at the jewish toy stores. Would he go for playmobile or too old?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 9:24 pm
Hi, I'm a mother and I have a bored 10 yr old son too! Wink

All these thinking type of games are for a specific type of kid. My son hates all those Thinkfun games, puzzles etc

Card tricks are something to try. He can watch youtube videos to learn.

Can you afford music lessons? Playing an instrument, practicing it daily etc could be nice
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children