Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Was I right for not voting? I support Trump

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 5:43 am
So I was telling everyone at work (where everyone supports Trump) that I'm not voting. The reason is because since we live in NY and Clinton is expected to win in a landslide, my vote for Trump (and effort to shlep to go vote) will certainly be in vain. So late last night as it became apparent that Trump will win, several coworkers were texting me and saying, "see, anything can happen. You should've voted". I say that Clinton won NY by almost 1,500,000 votes. The people that went out in NY to support Trump are the ones who wasted their time. Thoughts?

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 5:51 am
What about all the other races in your district? Did you not vote for anyone?

water_bear88

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 5:52 am
I'm guessing there will be some outcry about the popular vote being in Clinton's favor. If there were really more Trump supporters hiding in blue states who, like you, did not bother voting, then that outcry would be less likely.

I say this with no judgement, as someone who failed to send in my ballot because I couldn't find someone to take it, and the degree to which I supported my favored candidate (Johnson) was not worth the international postage.

ETA- just saw Rutabaga's post. If you had important down-ballot races or referendums, it probably does matter more. I guess because I only pay federal taxes, I don't feel as invested in state politics.

Last edited by water_bear88 on Wed, Nov 09 2016, 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 5:54 am
You should have voted because it's important to vote. Even if you just wrote in someone.

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 5:58 am
Its important to vote so that politicians pay attention to your group. Eg if frum Jews have a high turnout then they will have more political power. Ditto, young mothers often don't go and vote for obvious reasons, hence politicians pay a lot more attention to retirees who have all the time in the world to stand in line. eg wealthy retirees get medicaid and young working people may not be able afford health insurance for their kids.

watergirl

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 6:16 am
The ballot has many more names and issues han just president. I cant stand when people are so stuck on that idea that a vote doesnt count. First and foremost, you live in a district and have a true voice there. But not unless you vote. The district and state government must see local numbers and interests. You are hurting your direct daled amos by thinking that election day is only about the White House.

pause

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 6:16 am
We made a family trip to the polls. I believe it's important for my children to see us vote, to appreciate that we have the right to vote (even though I'm not a white male wealthy landowner) and to vote in our local elections. To exercise my civil liberties. To be involved in the running of our country, state, county, etc.

I actually voted Paul Ryan as a write-in but it's irrelevant. DH had no patience, eh, who cares. why are you gonna shlep out now at night with everyone... but I felt it's important - if not for my vote itself, but just for the opportunity to teach my children by example.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 7:09 am
I vote in CA so when I say all offices go one way, they do. Local, state and federal offices are all liberal and I disagree with it immensely.
But I vote every election to show there is a dissenting opinion.

Plus we have propositions. We voted yesterday to keep the death penalty and another initiative to speed up the process (no one has been killed for decades even if sentenced to death). But at the same time we are letting felons out of prison (the ballot said nonviolent only but human trafficking and drive by shootings are also "nonviolent".)
We now have legal pot.
We increased our taxes a ton (groan. We have the highest sales tax already!!).

But even without propositions I vote to show there isn't a consensus. Part of the constituency hates their policies and all that...

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 9:27 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
You should have voted because it's important to vote. Even if you just wrote in someone.

That's why I didn't vote. Because of explanations like this. You should vote because....it's important to vote. But my candidate will certainly lose by over a million votes? Just vote. I still don't get it.

pond user

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 10:06 am
Couldn't agree more with that last post. Just vote because it's important. Uh... no thanks.

I will vote because there is a respected candidate out there whom I seek to represent me and my country.

I will vote because I think I matter in the grand scheme of things and I may just sway the poles with my 1 vote.

I will vote because I think it's important that even if my candidate doesn't stand a chance, he has an extra vote under his name.

I will NOT vote because YOU think I should.

I will NOT vote because you believe that feminists fought hard for the rights of women to vote.

If I voted because of other people's opinions of voting, I'm a chained woman in exactly the same way I would be if I wasn't allowed to vote. We have an option to vote and I will choose whether to use that option or not this time around.

So whether or not I vote is of nobody's concern but my own. And if I share it with you, it's because I truly don't care how you feel one should or shouldn't use their vote.

Thank you.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 10:07 am
1. You could have voted for other offices other than the presidential election
2. Your vote would have helped the popular vote count. As of now Clinton is winning the popular vote.

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 10:37 am
amother wrote:
That's why I didn't vote. Because of explanations like this. You should vote because....it's important to vote. But my candidate will certainly lose by over a million votes? Just vote. I still don't get it.

I agree with the amother above who said to vote so that both sides see that there is no one universal opinion. Our elected representatives in government need to know that this. It might sway policies or not. And if enough people voted for the losing ticket, it gives hope for future elections. It's one of the only ways to let your voice be heard. I have tried writing my representatives before and got a form response that stated they plan to do exactly the opposite of what I wanted. For instance, I asked for chocolate to be subsidized to lower costs and they responded that they are working tirelessly to tax it. (Totally not what I wrote about but you get the idea). So voting against them was my way of telling them I disagree.

Totally off topic but...
Is this the first time the president lost his home state in the election but still won? Even Reagan flipped CA.

cm

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 11:03 am
Voting is not a waste of time, although it might not influence the outcome of a Presidential election unless you are in a swing state. As others have said, this is how opposing points of view are quantified. Stand up and be counted! Also, you gave up the opportunity to vote in all the other elections on your ballot and local referendum questions.

Rights and responsibilities are closely related. You have the hard-won right to vote; now it is your civic responsibility to participate in government. If you don't vote, don't ever complain about your taxes, laws or representatives.

BTW, it's probably not a good idea to discuss politics, especially voting, at work.

cm

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 11:07 am
LittleDucky wrote:
Totally off topic but...
Is this the first time the president lost his home state in the election but still won? Even Reagan flipped CA.

Polk (there is a typo in the linked article below - he won, not lost, the election), Wilson and Nixon (a recent transplant to New York, technically his state of residence).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik.....state

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 11:15 am
[img]www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/reb-moshe-about-voting.jpg[/img]

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 11:38 am
www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/.....g.jpj

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 12:04 pm
Ok, so not as rare as I thought but still uncommon.
I meant residence vs birth place since everyone considers the Bush family as coming from Texas, not the northeast.

trixx

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 12:57 pm
amother wrote:
So I was telling everyone at work (where everyone supports Trump) that I'm not voting. The reason is because since we live in NY and Clinton is expected to win in a landslide, my vote for Trump (and effort to shlep to go vote) will certainly be in vain. So late last night as it became apparent that Trump will win, several coworkers were texting me and saying, "see, anything can happen. You should've voted". I say that Clinton won NY by almost 1,500,000 votes. The people that went out in NY to support Trump are the ones who wasted their time. Thoughts?

Sorry everyone but in NY, your only votes that count are maybe on the local level (if you even know for whom to vote). NY is always democratic, and since popular vote doesn't count, I'm with you on this. I only went out because I thought in this one election who knows, it may go republican.

Miri7

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 2:06 pm
I live in CA where Clinton was pretty much guaranteed to win. When people said they weren't going to bother voting, I asked if they cared about taxes, the death penalty, recreational marijuana - either pro or con. These were all on the ballot here this year and I noticed that people seemed so focused on the presidential race that they forgot about everything else.

I voted for president AND on something like 40 other things. We have really long ballots here in CA as we had 17 statewide ballot measures. It took me nearly half an hour to fill out my ballot even though I knew how I was voting.

And remember that local elections often have a big impact on people's lives. Those are the elections where your vote is likely to "count" the most since it's a small pool of voters.

I do think that we have a civic repsonsibility to be informed and vote. Personally I'm not happy just letting everyone else decide for me on issues that matter to me. If one doesn't want to vote for any presidential candidate, one can simply skip that race and vote on everything else.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics