Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Donald Trump's First 100 Days Plan

WhatFor

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 9:10 pm
Donald Trump has released his plan for his first hundred days in office: Thoughts?
(Assuming he can pass all of this. Even though he has a Republican congress, they may not all be on board with all of his ideas- we already know they're not on board with his term-limits idea, for example.)

What follows is my 100-day action plan to Make America Great Again. It is a contract between myself and the American voter — and begins with restoring honesty, accountability and change to Washington

Therefore, on the first day of my term of office, my administration will immediately pursue the following six measures to clean up the corruption and special interest collusion in Washington, DC:

* FIRST, propose a Constitutional Amendment to impose term limits on all members of Congress;

* SECOND, a hiring freeze on all federal employees to reduce federal workforce through attrition (exempting military, public safety, and public health);

* THIRD, a requirement that for every new federal regulation, two existing regulations must be eliminated;

* FOURTH, a 5 year-ban on White House and Congressional officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government service;

* FIFTH, a lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government;

* SIXTH, a complete ban on foreign lobbyists raising money for American elections.

On the same day, I will begin taking the following 7 actions to protect American workers:

* FIRST, I will announce my intention to renegotiate NAFTA or withdraw from the deal under Article 2205

* SECOND, I will announce our withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific Partnership

* THIRD, I will direct my Secretary of the Treasury to label China a currency manipulator

* FOURTH, I will direct the Secretary of Commerce and U.S. Trade Representative to identify all foreign trading abuses that unfairly impact American workers and direct them to use every tool under American and international law to end those abuses immediately

* FIFTH, I will lift the restrictions on the production of $50 trillion dollars' worth of job-producing American energy reserves, including shale, oil, natural gas and clean coal.

* SIXTH, lift the Obama-Clinton roadblocks and allow vital energy infrastructure projects, like the Keystone Pipeline, to move forward

* SEVENTH, cancel billions in payments to U.N. climate change programs and use the money to fix America's water and environmental infrastructure

Additionally, on the first day, I will take the following five actions to restore security and the constitutional rule of law:

* FIRST, cancel every unconstitutional executive action, memorandum and order issued by President Obama

* SECOND, begin the process of selecting a replacement for Justice Scalia from one of the 20 judges on my list, who will uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States

* THIRD, cancel all federal funding to Sanctuary Cities

* FOURTH, begin removing the more than 2 million criminal illegal immigrants from the country and cancel visas to foreign countries that won't take them back

* FIFTH, suspend immigration from terror-prone regions where vetting cannot safely occur. All vetting of people coming into our country will be considered extreme vetting.

Next, I will work with Congress to introduce the following broader legislative measures and fight for their passage within the first 100 days of my Administration:

1.Middle Class Tax Relief And Simplification Act. An economic plan designed to grow the economy 4% per year and create at least 25 million new jobs through massive tax reduction and simplification, in combination with trade reform, regulatory relief, and lifting the restrictions on American energy. The largest tax reductions are for the middle class. A middle-class family with 2 children will get a 35% tax cut. The current number of brackets will be reduced from 7 to 3, and tax forms will likewise be greatly simplified. The business rate will be lowered from 35 to 15 percent, and the trillions of dollars of American corporate money overseas can now be brought back at a 10 percent rate.
2.End The Offshoring Act. Establishes tariffs to discourage companies from laying off their workers in order to relocate in other countries and ship their products back to the U.S. tax-free.
3.American Energy & Infrastructure Act. Leverages public-private partnerships, and private investments through tax incentives, to spur $1 trillion in infrastructure investment over 10 years. It is revenue neutral.
4.School Choice And Education Opportunity Act. Redirects education dollars to give parents the right to send their kid to the public, private, charter, magnet, religious or home school of their choice. Ends common core, brings education supervision to local communities. It expands vocational and technical education, and make 2 and 4-year college more affordable.
5.Repeal and Replace Obamacare Act. Fully repeals Obamacare and replaces it with Health Savings Accounts, the ability to purchase health insurance across state lines, and lets states manage Medicaid funds. Reforms will also include cutting the red tape at the FDA: there are over 4,000 drugs awaiting approval, and we especially want to speed the approval of life-saving medications.
6.Affordable Childcare and Eldercare Act. Allows Americans to deduct childcare and elder care from their taxes, incentivizes employers to provide on-side childcare services, and creates tax-free Dependent Care Savings Accounts for both young and elderly dependents, with matching contributions for low-income families.
7.End Illegal Immigration Act Fully-funds the construction of a wall on our southern border with the full understanding that the country Mexico will be reimbursing the United States for the full cost of such wall; establishes a 2-year mandatory minimum federal prison sentence for illegally re-entering the U.S. after a previous deportation, and a 5-year mandatory minimum for illegally re-entering for those with felony convictions, multiple misdemeanor convictions or two or more prior deportations; also reforms visa rules to enhance penalties for overstaying and to ensure open jobs are offered to American workers first.
8. Restoring Community Safety Act. Reduces surging crime, drugs and violence by creating a Task Force On Violent Crime and increasing funding for programs that train and assist local police; increases resources for federal law enforcement agencies and federal prosecutors to dismantle criminal gangs and put violent offenders behind bars.
9. Restoring National Security Act. Rebuilds our military by eliminating the defense sequester and expanding military investment; provides Veterans with the ability to receive public VA treatment or attend the private doctor of their choice; protects our vital infrastructure from cyber-attack; establishes new screening procedures for immigration to ensure those who are admitted to our country support our people and our values
10.Clean up Corruption in Washington Act. Enacts new ethics reforms to Drain the Swamp and reduce the corrupting influence of special interests on our politics.
On November 8th, Americans will be voting for this 100-day plan to restore prosperity to our economy, security to our communities, and honesty to our government.

This is my pledge to you.

And if we follow these steps, we will once more have a government of, by and for the people.

source: http://www.npr.org/2016/11/09/.....-days

cnc

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 9:42 pm
Wow.he sure sounds ambitious...

groisamomma

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 10:04 pm
If he gets even 1/10th of that list done I'll respect him.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 12:30 am
WhatFor wrote:
Donald Trump has released his plan for his first hundred days in office: Thoughts?
(Assuming he can pass all of this. Even though he has a Republican congress, they may not all be on board with all of his ideas- we already know they're not on board with his term-limits idea, for example.)

All in all, I think this plan is surprisingly well rounded. Trump makes sure to pander to his conservative republican supporters but his independent streak is showing (which is a good thing.)

What follows is my 100-day action plan to Make America Great Again. It is a contract between myself and the American voter — and begins with restoring honesty, accountability and change to Washington

Therefore, on the first day of my term of office, my administration will immediately pursue the following six measures to clean up the corruption and special interest collusion in Washington, DC:

* FIRST, propose a Constitutional Amendment to impose term limits on all members of Congress;

I agree.

* SECOND, a hiring freeze on all federal employees to reduce federal workforce through attrition (exempting military, public safety, and public health);
Don't know enough about this issue, but it seems reasonable. Doesn't seem like it will make a huge difference in any way.

* THIRD, a requirement that for every new federal regulation, two existing regulations must be eliminated;
No idea what this means. Dissolve extraneous laws, the contents of which are covered by new laws?

* FOURTH, a 5 year-ban on White House and Congressional officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government service;
Dont know enough about this either.

* FIFTH, a lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government;
...or this.

* SIXTH, a complete ban on foreign lobbyists raising money for American elections.
Seems reasonable. Foreign countries shouldn't sway our elections.
On the same day, I will begin taking the following 7 actions to protect American workers: Dont know enough about some of these. Seems like he wants to protect American workers but he doesn't care if he burns his bridges along the way. That could backfire.

* FIRST, I will announce my intention to renegotiate NAFTA or withdraw from the deal under Article 2205

* SECOND, I will announce our withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific Partnership

* THIRD, I will direct my Secretary of the Treasury to label China a currency manipulator
Seems like a good idea, I've long wondered why we don't hold China accountable for some of the awful things they do.

* FOURTH, I will direct the Secretary of Commerce and U.S. Trade Representative to identify all foreign trading abuses that unfairly impact American workers and direct them to use every tool under American and international law to end those abuses immediately

* FIFTH, I will lift the restrictions on the production of $50 trillion dollars' worth of job-producing American energy reserves, including shale, oil, natural gas and clean coal.
On the plus side, it will create jobs and boost the economy. But it will pour trillions of dollars into further deteriorating the environment. America will be great for half a century, and then we'll be a wasteland when the climate change dominos topple. Mmm.

* SIXTH, lift the Obama-Clinton roadblocks and allow vital energy infrastructure projects, like the Keystone Pipeline, to move forward

* SEVENTH, cancel billions in payments to U.N. climate change programs and use the money to fix America's water and environmental infrastructure
Well clearly the guy doesn't believe in climate change. Let the dominos fall where they may.

Additionally, on the first day, I will take the following five actions to restore security and the constitutional rule of law:

* FIRST, cancel every unconstitutional executive action, memorandum and order issued by President Obama
😂 Clearly just a nod to his republican supporters.

* SECOND, begin the process of selecting a replacement for Justice Scalia from one of the 20 judges on my list, who will uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States

* THIRD, cancel all federal funding to Sanctuary Cities

* FOURTH, begin removing the more than 2 million criminal illegal immigrants from the country and cancel visas to foreign countries that won't take them back
Good idea.

* FIFTH, suspend immigration from terror-prone regions where vetting cannot safely occur. All vetting of people coming into our country will be considered extreme vetting.
Lol. This is already in place and has been for quite some time.

Next, I will work with Congress to introduce the following broader legislative measures and fight for their passage within the first 100 days of my Administration:

1.Middle Class Tax Relief And Simplification Act. An economic plan designed to grow the economy 4% per year and create at least 25 million new jobs through massive tax reduction and simplification, in combination with trade reform, regulatory relief, and lifting the restrictions on American energy. The largest tax reductions are for the middle class. A middle-class family with 2 children will get a 35% tax cut. The current number of brackets will be reduced from 7 to 3, and tax forms will likewise be greatly simplified. The business rate will be lowered from 35 to 15 percent, and the trillions of dollars of American corporate money overseas can now be brought back at a 10 percent rate.
Nice idea that probably won't pass and if it does, won't actually change much.
2.End The Offshoring Act. Establishes tariffs to discourage companies from laying off their workers in order to relocate in other countries and ship their products back to the U.S. tax-free.
Good idea.
3.American Energy & Infrastructure Act. Leverages public-private partnerships, and private investments through tax incentives, to spur $1 trillion in infrastructure investment over 10 years. It is revenue neutral.
Is this the backup plan in case he can't use the climate change funds for infrastructure? Or is this the actual plan and the climate change talk is just posturing?
4.School Choice And Education Opportunity Act. Redirects education dollars to give parents the right to send their kid to the public, private, charter, magnet, religious or home school of their choice. Ends common core, brings education supervision to local communities. It expands vocational and technical education, and make 2 and 4-year college more affordable.
If the democrats couldn't make college more affordable, I highly doubt the republicans will. But good for him for trying.
5.Repeal and Replace Obamacare Act. Fully repeals Obamacare and replaces it with Health Savings Accounts, the ability to purchase health insurance across state lines, and lets states manage Medicaid funds. Reforms will also include cutting the red tape at the FDA: there are over 4,000 drugs awaiting approval, and we especially want to speed the approval of life-saving medications.
Health Savings Accounts already exist to some degree, not sure how these will be different. Doubt he'll actually repeal and replace Obamacare. At best, he'll make some addendums and give it a new name.
6.Affordable Childcare and Eldercare Act. Allows Americans to deduct childcare and elder care from their taxes, incentivizes employers to provide on-side childcare services, and creates tax-free Dependent Care Savings Accounts for both young and elderly dependents, with matching contributions for low-income families.
Childcare is already tax deductible. These are good ideas but I'm seeing some repetition - if he thinks tax free savings account will make people happy, why not look at all the underutilized tax free accounts that exist already that people largely ignore? Matching contributions for low income families is showing his independent streak again. Just like with the college. I like it.
7.End Illegal Immigration Act Fully-funds the construction of a wall on our southern border with the full understanding that the country Mexico will be reimbursing the United States for the full cost of such wall; establishes a 2-year mandatory minimum federal prison sentence for illegally re-entering the U.S. after a previous deportation, and a 5-year mandatory minimum for illegally re-entering for those with felony convictions, multiple misdemeanor convictions or two or more prior deportations; also reforms visa rules to enhance penalties for overstaying and to ensure open jobs are offered to American workers first.
Ahh. The wall. I guess he talked about it so much, he had to stick it in here somewhere.
8. Restoring Community Safety Act. Reduces surging crime, drugs and violence by creating a Task Force On Violent Crime and increasing funding for programs that train and assist local police; increases resources for federal law enforcement agencies and federal prosecutors to dismantle criminal gangs and put violent offenders behind bars.
9. Restoring National Security Act. Rebuilds our military by eliminating the defense sequester and expanding military investment; provides Veterans with the ability to receive public VA treatment or attend the private doctor of their choice; protects our vital infrastructure from cyber-attack; establishes new screening procedures for immigration to ensure those who are admitted to our country support our people and our values
10.Clean up Corruption in Washington Act. Enacts new ethics reforms to Drain the Swamp and reduce the corrupting influence of special interests on our politics.
On November 8th, Americans will be voting for this 100-day plan to restore prosperity to our economy, security to our communities, and honesty to our government.

This is my pledge to you.

And if we follow these steps, we will once more have a government of, by and for the people.

source: http://www.npr.org/2016/11/09/.....-days

Zeleze

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 10:47 am
I yhink he would need 100 Weeks not days to do this long list

I can only wish him luck ..

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 1:24 pm
Zeleze wrote:
I yhink he would need 100 Weeks not days to do this long list

I can only wish him luck ..

It's not well thought out. His whole gambit about setting aside 'unconstitutional' EOs makes little sense. EOs are vetted as to unconstitutionality, besides the fact that incoming presidents set aside many EOs upon gaining office. This is just more hot air.

The same hold true with his claims to renegotiate treaties regarding trade. That is a job delegated to the senate. Not that the senate won't but it clearly shows that basic 8th grade civics are not his forte.

He talks about putting a hiring freeze on federal govt. How does that impact his ability to reform the VA and make it more responsive to the needs of veterans? The VA is suffering a shortage of Drs. Not being able to hire more when needed will just cripple the VA. Oh an veterans can be treated by private Drs., I believe that was a Clinton administration advance.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 1:28 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
It's not well thought out. His whole gambit about setting aside 'unconstitutional' EOs makes little sense. EOs are vetted as to unconstitutionality, besides the fact that incoming presidents set aside many EOs upon gaining office. This is just more hot air.

The same hold true with his claims to renegotiate treaties regarding trade. That is a job delegated to the senate. Not that the senate won't but it clearly shows that basic 8th grade civics are not his forte.

He talks about putting a hiring freeze on federal govt. How does that impact his ability to reform the VA and make it more responsive to the needs of veterans? The VA is suffering a shortage of Drs. Not being able to hire more when needed will just cripple the VA. Oh an veterans can be treated by private Drs., I believe that was a Clinton administration advance.

It says that public health workers are exempted from the hiring freeze. Doesn't that mean VA doctors?

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 1:31 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:

I thought that the most bizarre was, "a requirement that for every new federal regulation, two existing regulations must be eliminated." KonMari for government?

treestump

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 1:31 pm
He was really serious about that wall? That's actually quite funny.

Hmmm... if he's cutting taxes so drastically, how exactly is he paying for the 'wall'? There's no way that could pass in Congress either way, could it?

Some parts of his plan seem nice, many seem unrealistic, and some show a lack of foresight. I'd say there's no way he could get most of these done in 100 days, and many not even in 100 months, but I've learned not to say Trump could never... insert rest of sentence. Unfortunately, he has proved me very wrong in the past.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 1:34 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
It says that public health workers are exempted from the hiring freeze. Doesn't that mean VA doctors?

No they are the employees of Veterans Affairs, Not HHS.

Miri7

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 3:56 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I thought that the most bizarre was, "a requirement that for every new federal regulation, two existing regulations must be eliminated." KonMari for government?

He will keep the ones that give him joy.

My real reaction when I read this was - what is a single regulation? A line? A section? Subsection? I deal with regulatory law so when I read this I laughed out loud because it's absurd to anyone who deals with regulations.

Miri7

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 3:59 pm
Also - will the hiring freeze apply to the 4,000 or so people he needs to appoint to positions who aren't in military/safety/health positions?

gp2.0

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 4:35 pm
treestump wrote:
He was really serious about that wall? That's actually quite funny.

Hmmm... if he's cutting taxes so drastically, how exactly is he paying for the 'wall'? There's no way that could pass in Congress either way, could it?

Some parts of his plan seem nice, many seem unrealistic, and some show a lack of foresight. I'd say there's no way he could get most of these done in 100 days, and many not even in 100 months, but I've learned not to say Trump could never... insert rest of sentence. Unfortunately, he has proved me very wrong in the past.

Apparently he's gonna get Mexico to pay for the wall 😂

Fox

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 4:52 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Apparently he's gonna get Mexico to pay for the wall 😂

Here's my prediction: Wall or no wall, I think the Trump administration and Mexico are going to wind up as compatible bedfellows.

In a sense, each country has problems that the other can help solve and we have some of the same problems, too.

Cartel violence in Mexico is seriously undermining the tourist industry as well as the ability to attract investment. Since much of the drug trade is driven by U.S. demand, Mexico will probably argue that we should pay for some of the costs involved in dismantling the cartels.

In addition, Mexico is fighting its own illegal immigration problem, and Mexicans are no happier about the problem than Americans. Immigrants from Central America, Africa, and the Middle East come to Mexico with an eye toward getting to the U.S., but many end up remaining in Mexico.

The U.S. needs Mexican workers, particularly in agriculture, and the Mexican economy benefits from funds sent back by non-citizen workers. Nobody wants to upset this apple cart.

However, the U.S. needs Mexico to take border security seriously and back up our attempts to keep criminals out.

If I had to drill down to a single reason I voted for Trump, it would be that he seems to value results over ideology. If something doesn't work, he jettisons it and moves on -- regardless of whether it's "conservative" or "liberal."

I think the relationship with Mexico has the potential to be significantly strengthened under Trump. They'll have to put up with whatever kind of wall he ends up with, but they'll be more likely to get what they want and need in exchange.

Fox

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 6:31 pm
Breitbart is reporting that Mexico's foreign minister has agreed to renegotiate NAFTA. Canada has already agreed. Also lots of statements about how the strong relationship between Mexico and the U.S. isn't based on a particular administration, blah, blah, blah.

At this rate, Mexico is going to have construction workers out tomorrow morning to start building a wall . . .

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 7:17 pm
Fox wrote:
Breitbart is reporting that Mexico's foreign minister has agreed to renegotiate NAFTA. Canada has already agreed. Also lots of statements about how the strong relationship between Mexico and the U.S. isn't based on a particular administration, blah, blah, blah.

At this rate, Mexico is going to have construction workers out tomorrow morning to start building a wall . . .

Yes. A lot about how the relationship doesn't depend on this presidency. The blah blah blah was a NO. More or less.

Quote:
Mexico's foreign minister said her country is open to efforts that would "modernize" the North American Free Trade Agreement, but that Mexico City would "not renegotiate" the trade deal that was prominent in Donald Trump's campaign pitch.

Claudia Ruiz Massieu told CNN International on Wednesday that "the Mexico-U.S. relationship does not begin, nor does it end with this election."

"It is a mature long-standing relationship based on common interest, common values and a shared vision of the future. The election is over and we're very much looking forward to starting a new chapter with the new administration," she said.

(emphasis added) Will they talk? Yes. Eventually. But not on Trump's terms. They'll talk when Trump tones down the rhetoric. They're not kowtowing to Trump's threat to "begin removing the more than 2 million criminal illegal immigrants from the country and cancel visas to foreign countries that won't take them back." Or while Trump is still claiming that he's building a wall, and that Mexico is paying for it. And Mexico will want plenty in return in any renegotiation.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 7:36 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
(emphasis added) Will they talk? Yes. Eventually. But not on Trump's terms. They'll talk when Trump tones down the rhetoric. They're not kowtowing to Trump's threat to "begin removing the more than 2 million criminal illegal immigrants from the country and cancel visas to foreign countries that won't take them back." Or while Trump is still claiming that he's building a wall, and that Mexico is paying for it. And Mexico will want plenty in return in any renegotiation.

Mexico is the third largest provider of petroleum to the US. Mexico is also the third largest purchaser of steam coal from the US. Now this has some large economic implications, with our president elect promoting coal fired power here in the US. That will raise the value of US steam coal on the domestic market (it's at it's lowest price in 22 years domestically). What will happen to the Mexican market? Anything agreed to between the US and the new administration will have to be finessed and well negotiated.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 7:44 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Mexico is the third largest provider of petroleum to the US. Mexico is also the third largest purchaser of steam coal from the US. Now this has some large economic implications, with our president elect promoting coal fired power here in the US. That will raise the value of US steam coal on the domestic market (it's at it's lowest price in 22 years domestically). What will happen to the Mexican market? Anything agreed to between the US and the new administration will have to be finessed and well negotiated.

"Clean coal," as touted by Trump, is a myth. Or if not a myth, it certainly doesn't exist yet.

But I've no doubt he'll push the use of coal, however polluting.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 7:58 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
"Clean coal," as touted by Trump, is a myth. Or if not a myth, it certainly doesn't exist yet.

But I've no doubt he'll push the use of coal, however polluting.

I think it's within his first 100 days list. See #5.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics