Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
When cooking Chicken Soup-when do you add the salt?

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 12:19 pm
Just wondering....is there a "best" time to add salt to chicken soup, I.e., at the very beginning when combining the chicken, water and veggies, or after it comes to a boil? Or perhaps in the last few minutes of cooking?
The reason I'm asking is because lately my soup has been cloudy and I wonder if it has to do with the salt. If not, what else can I be doing wrong? I love CLEAR soup, but mine has not been "clear" very often lately. TIA for your help!

anonymrs

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 12:43 pm
I put in the chicken after the water boils and add the salt toward the end of cooking because that's how my mother does it. My soup is always very clear, don't know if that's the reason but maybe...

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 1:00 pm
I never add salt. Some people find the kashering process leaves enough salt for their taste. I put salt on the table, and let everyone add as much as they feel it needs. I like really salty soup, but DH worries about his blood pressure. DD likes a little salt, and you never know what guests will want.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 1:31 pm
Once it's done.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 1:36 pm
Never. I dont add salt. That way it wont be too salty or not salty enough and everyone can either be ok with how the soup is or add however much salt as they want to their own soup.

Smile1234

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 2:16 pm
I put everything in the pot together at once including the salt/spices.

Someone once told me that squash makes chicken soup cloudy.
What else do u put in your soup?

treestump

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 2:18 pm
I put the salt and all my spices in at the beginning, so they can blend and fuse with the chicken and vegetables and cook evenly together.

I read in a cooking magazine that you should be careful not to move the chicken around, because that releases specks of protein that can cause the soup to become cloudy...

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 2:31 pm
I salt at the end. If you use root veggies they will absorb your salt during the cooking process and you will need more salt in the end. Basic food science, that's why if you over salt a dish or a broth you can add a potato or root veggie to the pot and lower the salt taste in the broth.

iyar

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 7:08 pm
I put salt in my chicken soup, about a teaspoon when I start putting it up, then taste and usually add a little more just before it's done. I don't think that's what makes your soup cloudy. Are you boiling the soup? Watch the pot. Start with cold water when you put the pot on the stove. Add your chicken and vegetables. When you start to see bubbles rising to the top, reduce the flame/ temperature. Keep it uncovered at a slow simmer, just a few bubbles rising to the top here and there. Use a small strainer, or a spoon if you don't have one, to skim off any grayish or brownish foam that rises to the top so it doesn't get mixed into the soup.
If you don't let the soup come to a full boil, it won't get cloudy. If you like it really clear, strain it through a fine mesh strainer, or line any strainer with cheesecloth.

tichellady

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 7:41 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I salt at the end. If you use root veggies they will absorb your salt during the cooking process and you will need more salt in the end. Basic food science, that's why if you over salt a dish or a broth you can add a potato or root veggie to the pot and lower the salt taste in the broth.

I like eating the veggies and they taste better if they are salted

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 8:47 pm
Smile1234 wrote:
I put everything in the pot together at once including the salt/spices.

Someone once told me that squash makes chicken soup cloudy.
What else do u put in your soup?

I add zucchini, I guess that's squash. Should I eliminate it?
I also put in onions, carrots, sweet potato, parsnip and turnip.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 8:49 pm
Don't ask me why but I add it when the soup comes to a rolling boil. And then after adding the salt I lower the flame to a tiny flame and let simmer for hours

abaker

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 9:04 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
Don't ask me why but I add it when the soup comes to a rolling boil. And then after adding the salt I lower the flame to a tiny flame and let simmer for hours

Same! My friend told me that if you add salt before it boils it makes it have tons of salt but not the salty flavor. So better to add it once it comes to a boil. Also if you need to add water to your soup don't add cold. Boil it in a kettle first and then add it. That helps with the flavor too.

seeker

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 10:43 pm
amother wrote:

It could also be the sweet potatoes because of their starch.
You don't have to eliminate it, you just need to accept that your soup might be cloudy. Nothing wrong with a cloudy, yummy, rich, veggie-ful soup.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Nov 11 2016, 12:43 am
amother wrote:

Yes zucchini does make soup cloudy however no need to eliminate. I don't know how long you cook the soup for but only add squash the last hour and take it out as soon as you shut the soup (place in wrap and boil bag)

heidi

Post Fri, Nov 11 2016, 1:25 am
I think the trick is making the soup on Weds. and letting all the fat congeal on the top in the fridge. On Friday right before Shabbos I skim the soup of all the fat and it's crystal clear. With the squash and the salt and the cold water etc. etc.

maapse

Post Fri, Nov 11 2016, 2:00 am
The trick for clear soup is to only put the chicken into the pot once the water is boiling. I put the vegetables in first with cold water bring to a boil then add chicken. I put salt in at different times each time I make soup and its always clear.
I never ever have that yucky grey stuff floating to the top since I started doing this.

maapse

Post Fri, Nov 11 2016, 2:01 am
The trick for clear soup is to only put the chicken into the pot once the water is boiling. I put the vegetables in first with cold water bring to a boil then add chicken. I put salt in at different times each time I make soup and its always clear.
I never ever have that yucky grey stuff floating to the top since I started doing this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen