Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Cooking chickpeas and dried beans in Israel

jkw

Post Tue, Oct 18 2016, 9:23 pm
Last time I cooked chickpeas in Israel I soaked overnight and cooked and cooked and...they never really got soft.
Now I want to make .my own cholent and am wondering if I will face the same issues I.e. beans that never get soft enough to eat
Any suggestions? TIA.

etky

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 12:17 am
It's probably due to the hard water here.
You can add a pinch or two of baking soda to the soaking water.
Using bottled instead of tap water can also help.
You can also parboil them if you want before adding them to the cholent.
I don't use the baking soda for cholent beans nor do I parboil them. I just soak them overnight and have never had problems with them staying hard but I do have to use baking soda when I cook chickpeas for hummous. They just don't get soft enough otherwise.
Another problem could be that your beans are old. Try buying them in a place that has a high turnover.

EBY

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 1:25 am
My husband usually deals with the beans.... He soaks them over night and then boils them. If you for get to soak overnight you can also soak in very hot water (DH usually heats up in the kum kum and pours it into a bowl).

nylon

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 2:48 pm
Yes, baking soda. (even American recipes for hummus will say to use it to get the chickpeas properly soft)

Cooks Illustrated recommends adding some salt if you have very hard water. (Baking soda already has sodium so don't do both)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 4:17 pm
My brother in Israel uses baking soda.
Another good tool to use is the slow cooker so you don't have to sit over the pot.
And chick peas never get fully melt in your mouth, they kind of have a bit of a bite, but once cooked well, they blend up easily in the food processor.

Teomima

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 7:41 pm
As others have said, chickpeas for chummus need a little help to get very soft. But for chollent, I just soak beans overnight Thursday night before using a crockpot overnight Friday to cook everything up for shabbat lunch, and the long soak combined with the slow cook produces nice, soft beans.

fish35

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 7:55 am
I had the same problem. Use a pressure cooker.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions