Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler constantly climbing out of crib!

sara400

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 8:54 am
My 20 month old slept till very recently in his Porta crib. He is quite small and he still fit comfortably. Then he started climbing out so we put him in big brothers big crib. He managed to climb out of there too, and hurting himself in the process! So I folded away his small crib and put up the playpen which reaches almost his neck. He gets out of there as well!! I'm at my wits end! He sleeps in the stroller since and I can clearly see he's uncomfortable. He used to sleep 13 hours straight and now he's getting chopped up 10 hrs since he HOLLERS to open his strap. I'm a walking zombie and he's cranky too. Any advice?

ohmygosh

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 9:18 am
I saw these 2 ideas online somewhere:

2 things to try:

In a regular sized crib, typically one railing is taller than the other. Turn the crib around so that the shorter railing is against the wall and the taller one facing outwards.

Another option is to take the box spring out of the crib and have the mattress directly on the floor (inside the crib). It should be tall enough to reach the bottom of the railing (so he can't get caught between the mattress and the railing ch"v) but now the railing should be too high for him to climb over.

chocolatecake

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 9:20 am
My kids climbed out around that age too. I put them in beds to avoid them getting hurt climbing out. Its not easy. My younger one now is 24m and every night I ly with her till she falls asleep. I have no advice sorry. Just hang in there as they get older bedtime gets easier.

sweetpotato

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 9:21 am
If he's climbing out of every type of crib, then he's too big/too old for a crib. Give him a mattress on the floor or a toddler bed. You can even just move his crib mattress onto the floor. It may take him some time to learn to sleep there all night and not try to leave the room, but that's an adjustment he'll have to make anyway.

Why are you putting him to bed in the stroller?

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 9:22 am
I just sleep trained my toddler, who was climbing out of the crib many many times a night.
One night, I told him, "I'm putting you into the crib. If you climb out, I am going to put you right back in." And that's what I did. Every time he climbed out I put him in without saying a word. He screamed about it but eventually stopped climbing out and went to sleep.
Now he wakes up once during the night and I sit with him for a few minutes until
He falls back asleep. Not the greatest situation, but at least he sleeps in his crib.

pizza4

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 9:23 am
Oh I had this issue with my baby at about that age, it is so hard.
And at 15 months getting out of the carriage too... oh boy.
What I did then was go crazy. Also, I kept putting the child back in the crib. You came out? Back in you go. Try to do this emotionlessly. 30 times a night. Eventually it stopped, don't remember how long it took. Also, try to see that there is nothing near the crib helping him get out.
Hug

esther11

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 9:40 am
If u can choose to keep him in the crib, maybe put an extra mattress at the foot of it so if/when he does climb out he doesn't hurt himself (you mentioned that he was getting hurt)

sara400

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 9:43 am
Thanks for your replies. It seems like putting him back repeatedly would work best. I just have such an emotional spot for him since he's an allergy baby and suffers alot. I guess he feels it...

I tried the mattress on the floor but he would get up time and again and went "visiting" his sleeping siblings.

I guess I should stop pitying him and just be firm while he's in the playpen. Just tell him again and again and put him back if he climbs out.

Thanks for the boost!

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 9:52 am
Every time he climbs out, put him back in without saying a word or making any face. Do it 30 times if you have to. He will get bored of climbing out eventually and learn to stay in.

If you keep to this long enough, it works

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 10:02 am
Get a baby gate with a door for his room. And sleep him on a mattress or his pack n play. After a few days he will realize it gets him nowhere to climb out and he will stay in his crib
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics