Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
SPICY HUNGARIAN CHOLENT

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 12:49 am
SPICY HUNGARIAN CHOLENT

Excerpt From: Yoskowitz, Jeffrey - The Gefilte Manifesto

In the shtetls of eastern Europe, cholent pots were handed down through generations and were sealed tightly, often with flour and water, before being placed in the communal oven on Friday before sundown. The cholent was retrieved on the way home from synagogue on Saturday, and the entire family waited in anticipation for the lid to be lifted and the delicious smell to fill the room. Historically, cholent contained a meat, a grain, and a vegetable, but variations abounded based on local flavors and economic status. In Poland, for example, potatoes were always included in the cholent, whereas in Germany, other root vegetables were used instead. Hungarian cholent, which inspired this recipe, is a bit soupier than other styles of cholent. Our version is spicier and more complex than what you might be used to, which I’d say is a good thing. Today, cholent is generally found in more observant Jewish homes, and is usually made in a slow cooker. Be sure to monitor the cooking and keep the slow cooker away from anything flammable.

SERVES 8 TO 10

2 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into cubes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or schmaltz)
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
4 large garlic cloves, minced
6 medium Yukon Gold or red potatoes, peeled and cubed
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, quartered
1 cup large dried lima beans, boiled, rinsed, and soaked for two hours, then drained and rinsed thoroughly
½ cup pearl barley (or rice
4 cups beef, chicken, or vegetable broth, store-bought or homemade (here or here)
¼ cup tomato paste
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons Hungarian sweet paprika
1½ tablespoons hot Hungarian paprika (optional)
2 teaspoons mustard powder
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
3 cups water
4 large eggs, shells washed (optional)
Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
1. Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Sear the beef on all sides until the pieces are lightly browned. Do not crowd the pan; sear in batches if your pan is small. Transfer to a plate.

2. Add the oil to the same pan and sauté the onions until they are lightly colored and fragrant, about 5 minutes, then transfer to a 5- to 7-quart slow cooker. Place the meat in the slow cooker along with the garlic, potatoes, mushrooms, beans, and barley.

3. In a large bowl, mix together the broth, tomato paste, brown sugar, paprika, mustard powder, salt, pepper, and 3 cups water and pour the mixture into the slow cooker. Place the eggs (if using) in the slow cooker. Pour a bit more water in if more is needed to cover all the ingredients.

4. Set the slow cooker to low and cook overnight or up to 18 hours, until the beans and grains are soft and cooked through. The cholent will become thicker the longer it’s cooked. Remove the eggs and cool. Add salt to taste and stir. Peel the eggs, then halve them lengthwise. Ladle the hot cholent into individual bowls. Place half an egg on top of each serving and garnish with parsley.

Carmen Luna

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 12:53 am
My Hungarian bubbehs would be mortified that you're trying to pass this off as Hungarian.

Mushrooms?? Mustard powder?!?!?

acemom

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 9:57 am
I agree with poster above.

Too many "exotic" type ingredients included.

People in the shtetl used very simple ingredients in the foods they made.

The style of spiciness is similar to the Hungarian cuisine though.

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 10:01 am
This is nouvelle Jewish cuisine inspired by the styke of the cooking. It's not meant to replicate your Bubbe's recipe.

It's intended for people who want to serve the classics with a twist.

That's the intent of the cookbook which has some great recipes updating the classics. They even have real gefilte fish which is actually stuffed in the fish which is the origins of gefilte fish which means stuffed.

silbergirl

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 3:24 pm
I like the modern twist of it! My Hungarian born and raised hubby would disagree, though. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics