Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Is my teenager suffering from depression?

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 10:08 am
I need advice, but I have a difficult time discussing this with anyone.
My, middle school aged, son is a popular boy, liled by his teachers and classmates, usually on top of his class, great at sports, very mature.... basically the type of boy you'd think has everything good.
For already a few years I've been dealing with him often being in a bad mood, at home. He often belittles his younger brothers (mainly one, but another isn't left unharmed, the 3 of them are very close in age). At the shabbos table, I feel we all sit at the edge of our seats as I'm constantly telling the others, not to do things that will get him in that mood.
This year, he has a teacher that he says he just can't concentrate in his class. When my husband asked him about school work, he says can't remember anything in school (and when my husband points out that gemara is based on things that he learnt other years, he says he can't remember what he leant the years before and got perfect grades on).
I'm starting to wonder if there is something more than just teenage moodiness. I'm wondering if I'm missing the signs of childhood depression.
I'm scared to talk to anyone, even the doctor, because I feel like I'm going to label him and that even if it's nothing wrong, the doctors will pull it out of proportion. I'm getting like an awful mother right now and don't know what to do.
He has an appointment with his GP this week, on an unrelated thing, and I want to bring it up, but I'm not sure how to, and how do I talk about it with my son standing near me.
Sorry for babbling, I really need tons of advice.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 10:12 am
It's important to evaluate him so things don't get worse sometimes a mood stabilizer and some therapy for a few weeks can get him back on track hazlacha

avocado7

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 10:54 am
Lots of love and attention I think a lot of us missed out on.
Also "you" take time to play with him some board / card games.etc
And talk to him privately. He could be depressed. Please Don't be afraid to get help for him.
Try compliments at every opportunity.And hugging all your children.but not in front of the troubled son, avoid making him jealous.
At the time of the appointment ,ask if you could have a private word with the doctor.before you go in together with your son.maybe he'd benefit from some psychotherapy ,he could refer you on to some one.
Hatzlacha and hugs !! Hug Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)