Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Question For The CPAs

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 6:21 pm
I have spent the past 10+ years as a professional SAHM (up to my elbows in Play-Doh and challah dough, president of the school PTA, host a ton of Shabbos and Yumtiv guests... you know the type).

My husband and I are divorcing, and I need to develop a career STAT. I b"H have some time (maybe 2-4 years) to work on furthering my education and gaining entry-level experience.

A few people have suggested that I pursue accounting, and advised me to earn a Masters in Accounting while studying on my own for the CPA exams. They said that once I earn my Masters and pass the exams, I should be able to find a full-time job while I gain the work experience hours necessary to get licensed as a CPA. The theory is that once I've passed the exams, I'll be an attractive entry-level candidate since 1) I've shown that I understand how to do accounting, and, 2) I won't need to take time off from work to study for the exams, since I already have passing scores.

I am very strong in math, and graduated from a good college with a good GPA (unrelated field of study). I enjoy working with numbers.

Do you think that this idea is worth pursuing?

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 11:11 pm
bump

summer0808

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 11:21 pm
I am a CPA in private practise. Be aware that entry level candidates are expected to work full-time plus OT during busy season. Are you at a point in your life that you can put in those hours?

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 12:01 am
Thank you for the fast reply! I realize that accounting is a full time job, with expected overtime around Federal tax filing deadlines.

I'd rather work overtime in a job that can iy"H provide for my family, than be a gannenet who gets out at 3pm and can't rub two pennies together.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 12:07 am
Keep in mind public and/or private accounting isn't your only option. I am in nonprofit accounting. Yes, I make a little less than my counterparts but not by much. In my area, entry level public accountants make an average of $49k and nonprofit entry level accountants make $44k.
The difference is I am literally not allowed to work overtime and the family/work balance is honored.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 12:18 am
I think its worth pursuing. You didn't say what state you are in. Different states have different education and experience requirements. I'm a cpa in a controller type job and I work part time. It's not easy to find but in private accounting it definitely exists especially once you have experience. My pay works out to slightly less than 50 per hour.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 12:38 am
Thank you all for the replies! I realize that requirements vary by state. I am looking into my state's requirements.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics