Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cleaning help budget?

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 9:38 am
What is an appropriate budget/schedule for cleaning help for 1 bedroom apartment with 2 parents working?

doctorima

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 10:14 am
It varies widely by location. Where do you live? Also, are they providing cleaning supplies, or you?

twogees

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 10:35 am
it depends on the area. in NY I was able to get a cleaning lady for $10/hr and now in chicago its about $12.50....

teddyb

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 11:01 am
Its possible to get $10/hr in Chicago but I think 12-15 is more average depending on the cleaner

But yes it depends where you live. There have been threads here in the past where ppl wrote what they pay their cleaners and where they live as well as posts about what they have their cleaning lady do.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 11:19 am
How much help, depends on what you need done, and how messy you are.
Do you want her to do laundry?
Organize closet and drawers?
Help a bit with chopping veggies, etc.?
I would say 2-3 x a week for all this, and the scrubbing and cleaning.

Or basic keep the house neat and clean?
1-2 x a week

Also with paying, it depends on your arrangements.
I arranged with my cleaning help to pay them $110 for the day, 8hrs, but if she is able to do everything in less time, she still gets the full $110. If it takes 10 hrs, it's still $110. Most of the time it takes her about 6 hrs. Before Pesach and on Yom Tov it may take 9,9.5 hrs. I think once in the 10 yrs I have her it was 10hrs.

Also depends on how much you can afford.

If you are left with tons of laundry to still do after she scrubs your bathroom and floors, then I would hire her for laundry, and do the scrubbing myself.
But that's me, I hate laundry.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 11:46 am
Mostly I want actual cleaning--bathroom, kitchen, living room. I'm terrible and folding clothes and putting them away so wouldn't mind help with that. I'm in NY metro area. My kids are constantly making messes so it feels like a waste.

Not sure how to work it out that she's there and not alone with my husband, if I'm home, the kids are home.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 12:46 pm
I live in Southern California. I pay about $15-$16/hr for 2 hrs a week. My housekeeper started with me when I had a 2 bedroom / 2 bath apartment. Now I have a three bedroom / 1 bath house.

Each week my cleaner does - floors (sweep/mop), bathroom (toilet, sink, tub), kitchen (specifically stove top & sink area & microwaves), empties all trash cans and takes out the trash. Dusting is usually done every other week. Kitchen cabinets are wiped down every few weeks or as needed. Occasionally I'll ask her to work on a specific area that needs attention or extra cleaning.

I pay for an extra cleaning for Pesach when she takes apart and deep cleans my frig and any other cleaning I may need.

My cleaner does not do dishes, laundry, or change linens. She will be happy to do that, but it would take more time and cost more & that is not in my budget now.

My cleaner isn't cheap, but she's reliable, worked for me for about 10 yrs and has keys to my house.

I also occasionally pay her to babysit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics