Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How to cook acorn squash

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 10:52 pm
Any ideas or recipes for acorn squash?
My dh bought me a few.
Tia

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 11:16 pm
Wash well. Cut in half and scoop out the seeds. Place cut side down in a pan with an inch of water and bake in an oven at 350° until tender. You should be able to easily pierce it with a knife when done.

If you want to make it more interesting, then you can add some spices to the water or use a different liquid such as apple cider. You can also stuff acorn squash with grains or fruit such as apples and cranberries. You can cook it cut side up and add orange juice or maple syrup or apple cider or dust with brown sugar.

You can also cut acorn squash into slices and roast it. Toss with some olive oil and spices.

There are hundreds of recipes out there for acorn squash if you don't want to wing it. Google it or try a site like epicurious.com.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 11:28 pm
I half the squash, clean the seeds out and bake for about 35 minutes. While that's cooking I make a nice savory pilaf with currents, pecans and chopped apples. I like to season it with a bit of curry. After 35 minutes I take the squash out, fill the cavities with pilaf and bake for another 20 minutes. While the squash is finishing I make a golden gravy using nutritional yeast. This is one of my winter go to dishes, so much so that when I make the pilaf, I'll made 5 quarts and freeze it so it's on hand.

ETA: This is a great vegetarian entree esp. at Thanksgiving.

Last edited by MagentaYenta on Thu, Nov 17 2016, 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

tichellady

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 11:29 pm
I love squash soup with coconut milk, onions, garlic and ginger

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 11:32 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I half the squash, clean the seeds out and bake for about 35 minutes. While that's cooking I make a nice savory pilaf with currents, pecans and chopped apples. I like to season it with a bit of curry. After 35 minutes I take the squash out, fill the cavities with pilaf and bake for another 20 minutes. While the squash is finishing I make a golden gravy using nutritional yeast. This is one of my winter go to dishes, so much so that when I make the pilaf, I'll made 5 quarts and freeze it so it's on hand.

What exactly is that and how do you make it?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 11:38 pm
Rutabaga
Thanks dh said they sound good and is going to make it tomorrow iyh not sure which one(s) he will choose.

Tichellady
Thanks we are not a coconut fan

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 11:44 pm
amother wrote:
What exactly is that and how do you make it?

It's an old hippy stand by. You can buy nutritional yeast in most health food stores, Kroegers has it in the bulk dept and I think Trader Joes may also have it. It comes in flake or powder. I buy the flake. It has a meaty cheesy taste to it and it highly nutritional esp. if you are a vegetarian.

Make a nice brown roux using the fat of your choice, for vegetarians I use olive oil. While my roux is browning I add lots of sage, thyme and rosemary and a cup of nutritional yeast. Once the roux comes up you can add warm veggie stock and season with some salt and pepper to taste until you get the thickness you desire.

tichellady

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 11:50 pm
this is really simple and kid friendly

http://www.skinnytaste.com/roa.....ugar/

you can add some maple syrup to make it sweeter or some rosemary and balsamic vinegar for a sweet savory contrast

I don't like squash sweet I like it savory so I roast it in slices with olive oil, garlic, thyme and sliced red onions.

you can make soup without coconut milk- here's one recipe that's good http://www.skinnytaste.com/roa.....with/

Last edited by tichellady on Thu, Nov 17 2016, 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

tichellady

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 11:51 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:

sounds amazing! do you pour the gravy over or just seve it on the side?

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 11:56 pm
tichellady wrote:
sounds amazing! do you pour the gravy over or just seve it on the side?

I like the gravy over the whole mess but I serve it with gravy on the side since it really presents better that way. My pilafs aren't always rice based, some are made from bulgar, or barley but my favorite for this uses kasha for the base.

ETA: For Thanksgiving and other special dinners I make a cranberry relish to go with this. A bag of organic cranberries, 3 clementines and honey. Throw it all in a food processor until the pieces are pea sized. Sweeten with honey and shred some mint on the top.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen