Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Obama designer Vows Not to Dress Melania Trump, Asks Other

Mevater

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 1:27 pm
Sophie Theallet Vows Not to Dress Melania Trump, Asks Other Designers to Do the Same

In an e-mail sent Thursday afternoon, Sophie Theallet has said she will not dress the incoming First Lady Melania Trump and she is calling on other designers to do the same.

Theallet, who did not respond immediately available for comment, said in her missive that as an independent fashion brand, “we consider our voice an expression of our artistic and philosophical ideas.”

“As one who celebrates and strives for diversity, individual freedom and respect for all lifestyles, I will not participate in dressing or associating in any way with the next First Lady. The rhetoric of racism, sexism, and xenophobia unleashed by her husband’s presidential campaign are incompatible with the shared values we live by.” she wrote. “I encourage my fellow designers to do the same.

https://www.yahoo.com/style/so......html

Isnt this taking things a bit too far?

Where does democracy stand in this?

Hasnt it occurred to this designer that the half of the US who voted for Trump, and those who feel shes going too far, might blacklist her?

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 1:38 pm
Mevater wrote:
Sophie Theallet Vows Not to Dress Melania Trump, Asks Other Designers to Do the Same

In an e-mail sent Thursday afternoon, Sophie Theallet has said she will not dress the incoming First Lady Melania Trump and she is calling on other designers to do the same.

Theallet, who did not respond immediately available for comment, said in her missive that as an independent fashion brand, “we consider our voice an expression of our artistic and philosophical ideas.”

“As one who celebrates and strives for diversity, individual freedom and respect for all lifestyles, I will not participate in dressing or associating in any way with the next First Lady. The rhetoric of racism, sexism, and xenophobia unleashed by her husband’s presidential campaign are incompatible with the shared values we live by.” she wrote. “I encourage my fellow designers to do the same.

https://www.yahoo.com/style/so......html

Isnt this taking things a bit too far?

Where does democracy stand in this?

Hasnt it occurred to this designer that the half of the US who voted for Trump, and those who feel shes going too far, might blacklist her?

Half of Americans didn't vote for Trump. Half of Americans didn't vote, period. Fewer than 50% of people who did vote chose Trump, and they skew towards people who would tend not to buy $1500 cardigans in any case.

No matter. Its a call for a boycott, which is done all the time. Some designers will heed it. Others won't. Melania is a beautiful woman. She's not likely to have trouble finding clothes.

sequoia

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 1:39 pm
I was just WAITING for someone to say, "hee hee the peasants who voted for Trump can't afford designer clothes!"

sweetpotato

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 1:42 pm
For a designer, having a prominent person wear your clothing to public and official events is a big deal-- it's a walking advertisement for your brand and company. Just as a company can decide they don't want to run advertisements in publications or alongside media they consider offensive or contrary to their values (or contrary to the values of their consumers), a clothing company can decide they don't want to make clothing for certain politicians or public figures to wear to official events.

Typically, when a first lady or any public figure wears an outfit to a major event, that outfit has either been specially designed/created for that person, or the designer has agreed to let the person wear it exclusively. The designer is talking about one-of-a-kind, custom outfits.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 1:42 pm
Lol. I find this hilarious.

I won't dress Melania Trump either. I'm sure she's very distressed.

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 1:45 pm
Melaina Trump is married to a billionaire.

I am sure she already has her own designers.

animeme

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 2:15 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
Melaina Trump is married to a billionaire.

I am sure she already has her own designers.

Ivanka has her own line of clothes. And I imagine she has connections to other designers.

trixx

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 2:16 pm
Let's be honest, Melania trump was not going to hire her anyways. And she already dresses way better than the Obamas do. So this is just a way for the designer to save face and pretend she actually has a choice in the matter.

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 2:21 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Lol. I find this hilarious.

I won't dress Melania Trump either. I'm sure she's very distressed.

Now you have to send press releases stating this, and your business will get promoted. The designer took a page from Trump's playbook of making outrageous statements and getting free publicity.

I am sure her statement is as nonsensical as the celebrities who were leaving the country if Trump gets elected.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 2:53 pm
I don't see how the designer's choice to refuse to dress Melania Trump (who likely does not desperately require her services) is an expression of a viewpoint that "celebrates and strives for diversity, individual freedom and respect for all lifestyles."

agreer

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 2:58 pm
Who?

rae

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 2:58 pm
I don't think she'll be hired based on how she dressed Michelle Obama. Melania seems to be doing a great job on her own.

Mevater

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 3:05 pm
agreer wrote:
Who?

Thumbs Up
+1000000000000000000000000

groisamomma

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 3:38 pm
sweetpotato wrote:
For a designer, having a prominent person wear your clothing to public and official events is a big deal-- it's a walking advertisement for your brand and company. Just as a company can decide they don't want to run advertisements in publications or alongside media they consider offensive or contrary to their values (or contrary to the values of their consumers), a clothing company can decide they don't want to make clothing for certain politicians or public figures to wear to official events.

Typically, when a first lady or any public figure wears an outfit to a major event, that outfit has either been specially designed/created for that person, or the designer has agreed to let the person wear it exclusively. The designer is talking about one-of-a-kind, custom outfits.

This. She's shooting herself in the foot.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 3:43 pm
trixx wrote:
Let's be honest, Melania trump was not going to hire her anyways. And she already dresses way better than the Obamas do. So this is just a way for the designer to save face and pretend she actually has a choice in the matter.

This. Melania would never have used her.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 3:48 pm
It's funny that so many of you think Obama didn't dress nicely. I actually thought she dresses beautifully and really does a nice job complimenting her face and figure. I guess the credit goes to her stylist.

5*Mom

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 11:57 am
groisamomma wrote:
This. She's shooting herself in the foot.

She's making a calculated business decision, actually. It's a marketing thing, nothing more, nothing less. She's decided who her target market is and apparently it's wealthy angry democrats.

ora_43

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 12:49 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I don't see how the designer's choice to refuse to dress Melania Trump (who likely does not desperately require her services) is an expression of a viewpoint that "celebrates and strives for diversity, individual freedom and respect for all lifestyles."

This.

She supports tolerating everyone!... except for people who disagree with her. Businesses should refuse to sell to those people. It's not like liberals have been arguing for months that refusing to sell to people you disagree with is bigotry.

5*Mom

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 1:12 pm
ora_43 wrote:
This.

She supports tolerating everyone!... except for people who disagree with her. Businesses should refuse to sell to those people. It's not like liberals have been arguing for months that refusing to sell to people you disagree with is bigotry.

Well yes, but gays are a minority and should be protected. But hey, so are Trump voters! Wink

scrltfr

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 7:13 pm
Melania is an immigrant a minority. Isn't this illegal?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics