Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Channuka gifts for people who work for me

rnnr

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 6:42 pm
What is protocol for giving gifts to people that provide services to you? Like my baby gets PT from a frum woman - am I supposed to give her a Channuka present? How about mishloach manos? How about my cleaning lady (not jewish)?

debsey

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 7:04 pm
I give therapists small gifts, usually for Purim, in place of M"M. I give my cleaning lady a "holiday gift" of money on her holiday, and usually put it in something pretty, like a small box of chocolates or soaps.

I don't give my kids' therapists Chanukah gifts (they all happen to be frum people) but one year, when my son had a non-Jewish OT, I did give her a "holiday gift" because I thought she might expect it.

I definitely give bus drivers "holiday" gifts. And M"M. Mostly because I have bus drivers who stop in front of my house instead of making my kids walk to our corner and I want to show my appreciation (and to be honest, bribe them into continuing!)

I give my staff members a standard gift (meaning, I use a gift shop service and everyone gets the same thing) I try to give it at a holiday neutral time, since I have Jewish and non-Jewish employees, so I just kind of have a day in December where I randomly give out the holiday gift (usually ends up being like Dec. 28 or so)

cnc

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 8:03 pm
I give the non Jewish therapist Amazon gift cards and the Jewish therapists Judaica store gift cards for Chanukah/holidays . I give them all a small MM without money Purim time.
Bus drivers and monitors get a tip both Chanukah and Purim.

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 11:40 am
I wouldn't consider it. I have never heard of that outside Imamother.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 5:31 pm
Yes, I give therapists and teachers Chanukah gifts, and mail carriers and cleaning help holiday gifts.

pizza4

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 6:10 pm
Definitely. Certainly to the babysitter, teachers, bus driver. If I had a cleaning lady, her too. It's a good time to show your appreciation. And it is appreciated.
For Rosh Hashana I gave out honey cookies and a chocolate bar. (And it's great that it's the beginning of the school year, gets you off to a sweet start with the people you need.)
Not sure what I'll give Chanukah, but definitely something.

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 6:17 pm
My son's non Jewish therapist gave HIM a holiday present. That was really awkward because it hadn't even occurred to me to do such a thing.

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 6:18 pm
I'm a therapist. I am touched if a parent sends a thank-you note. That's all I need.

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 6:20 pm
amother wrote:
My son's non Jewish therapist gave HIM a holiday present. That was really awkward because it hadn't even occurred to me to do such a thing.

Yes, I give my students a holiday gift. It's fun to get something from a therapist. Plus I wouldn't have a job, if not for your child.

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 6:36 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, I give my students a holiday gift. It's fun to get something from a therapist. Plus I wouldn't have a job, if not for your child.

Do you expect a gift in return? A felt so bad that I didn't have anything for her, and felt even more funny giving her something a week later.

debsey

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 6:42 pm
amother wrote:
Do you expect a gift in return? A felt so bad that I didn't have anything for her, and felt even more funny giving her something a week later.
I'd give a gift in return a week later, swallow the awkward feeling, and I'd make sure to write a really nice note about how much you appreciate her. Therapists work so hard, it's nice to let them know that their work is appreciated.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 6:54 pm
I always give chanuka an envelope for teachers, bus drivers. for cleaning lady I give for new year.

I need a gift idea for a couple thats working on my son. One is a speech therapist and one PT. appreciate any advice please. TIA

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 7:22 pm
amother wrote:
I'm a therapist. I am touched if a parent sends a thank-you note. That's all I need.
As a former therapist, I agree!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics