Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Charedi African American Gerim

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 7:28 pm
We are making aliyah in 2017. Sephardic charedim who are also gerim of African decent. Limited Hebrew fluency for now. Have 3 young children.

Is it unrealistic to try a yishuv? Are we confined to RBS or is that even out of the question as my husband loves the North?

Was hard for him to determine on his pilot trip which was just one week....

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 7:59 pm
If your dh likes the North, I heard tzfat is a very welcoming community.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 8:16 pm
What about gans & cheders as I have been told not so good. Also the welcoming atmosphere because it is meshicrist capital no? I was thinking Rechasim???? Sephardic & Charedi.... or just go center.... also need an english Kollel. Husband has not joined here in Baltimore so need to start slow w/English 1st...

Iymnok

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 11:56 pm
I know two families, one made Aliyah almost a year ago, and another soon.
If you pm me I could try to put you in contact with them.
One is geirim, the other might be, they might be BT's.

SacN

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 12:40 am
We are baalei teshuva, so I know its not the same.

But our community is full of darker Sefardim, many of whom could be mistaken for African American. I don't think color sets people apart more than just being sefardi does--and there are so many sefardim.

Gerim, I don't know, maybe I'm naive, but unless theres a stamp on your forehead that says, "Im a convert!" I don't think it would come up as much here as in America. Davka because there are so many other dark sefardi charedi jews. It's not like, how'd a darker person come to be Jewish, must be gerus.
People know we are baalei teshuva (and that my brother in law, who also lives here, is a ger), but it doesn't come up that much.

Find somewhere you are happy, and there are other people who will be happy with you!

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 3:07 am
There are quite a few charedi Ethiopian Jews where I live, who dress like some ashkenazi charedim (black hat, long pleated skirt for woman with vest, etc).
However African American English speakers would definitely stand out in my city. No matter, standing out can be a good thing Smile
I would look into schools long and hard. Charedi schools are notorious for not accepting 'different' people. The ashkenazi schools arent open to sepharadi and so on.
Tzfat is maybe more accepting because tons of BT from all over the country moved there. However Tzfat is economically stagnated, very few jobs, poor schools.

Pita

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 5:10 am
No knowledge of this, but wanted to offer you my support.

Happydance

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 5:18 am
Same here, bhatzlocha!

nia73

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 5:22 am
We are also a Black charedi couple making aliyah in the coming months. Would love to chat. Pm me 😀

mamita

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 6:27 am
I also have no info to help. But want to add my support too. Wishing you all the best and hatzlacha rabbah

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 8:47 am
Dear OP

Please do your research well and find out from people who actually live in various communities and who have children in schools there.

I have friends who recently moved to Tzfat and are really happy there and are really happy with the schools. They are really impressed with how the city accommodates the religious community with all sorts of activities going on for the religious public.
Yes, the North is typically a poorer area than others but I think there is movement going on to improve this.
The North may actually be more accommodating than other places.

I met someone a while ago who lives in Rechasim and said it is a lovely community, accepting and people get along nicely together-you may want to do your research into this.

Other places which may be of interest: Pardes Chana, Carmiel,

It might be good to use the Nefesh b'nefesh website also.

Bear in mind a lot of places in Israel are becoming more charedi as many Charedi families are being priced out of the main centers like Jerusalem, Ramat Bet Shemesh etc.. .This can give you more options.

b hatzlacha!

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 8:57 am
Wow thanks everyone.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 10:21 am
You might consider Petach Tikvah or Rehovot. Both of those places have a big mix of Ethiopian, Russian, Sepharadi, Ashkenazi, Charedi, Secular, Dati Leumi, all kinds.

When Israel votes in the elections, the outcomes of Petach Tikvah and Rehovot can be used to predict the national outcome because their distributions of different types of people is the same as the national distribution.

I am not familiar with the Chareidim in either city, so you should ask someone who is whether it might be a fit.

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 10:50 am
amother wrote:
You might consider Petach Tikvah or Rehovot. Both of those places have a big mix of Ethiopian, Russian, Sepharadi, Ashkenazi, Charedi, Secular, Dati Leumi, all kinds.

When Israel votes in the elections, the outcomes of Petach Tikvah and Rehovot can be used to predict the national outcome because their distributions of different types of people is the same as the national distribution.

I am not familiar with the Chareidim in either city, so you should ask someone who is whether it might be a fit.

I second Petach Tivka and Rehovot as being a possibly better fit than Tzfat. They are much closer to the rest of the country. Jobs are a lot more accessible. Tzfat is very isolated geographically from any major center. Rehovot has a train station which makes it very practical to get anywhere, and Petach Tikva is very close to a lot of other cities in the center of the country, including Tel Aviv. Both Petach Tikva and Rehovot are sure to have a lot more employment options than Tzfat.
Tzfat has become more and more charedi over the last ten years.Petach Tikva and Rehovot are a lot more mixed.
You should look into schools though when you come. Charedi schools encompass a huge spectrum. Some more accepting and some less.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 1:56 pm
Nahariya or Ma'alot!

We live in Nahariya, and DD goes to school in Ma'alot. We love the diversity here, and everyone is extremely open and welcoming. DD has friends of all different races, and she says that there's no bullying in her school. Having dark skin is not a remarkable thing around here. If anything, she gets teased for being so pale.

While not a strictly Charedi community, there are Charedim here, and everyone gets along wonderfully. The vast majority of them are Sephardim. We joke that we are the whitest people in town! LOL

You can PM me if you want. It's a great place to live. Cheap housing, too. Very Happy

finallyamommy

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 3:33 am
OP, where did you end up? We are also gerim and would love to meet you if you are nearby. We're in RBS.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions