Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Are the boys coming back for pesach from yeshiva in Israel

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 12:09 am
Ds went to yeshiva in Israel straight after high school. He called me from Israel and said that everybody goes home for six weeks for pesach. I don't understand. Can't yeshiva have a program and Yom Tov meals for the boys during pesach?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 12:39 am
Most don't let out until after Rosh Chodesh Nissan, then they must be back for Rosh Chodesh Iyar. Some leave early for a wedding. I would consider a six week break bittul Torah.
He can stay and go to very lovely people for Yom Tov. I'm sure "everyone" isn't going back. At that point, the summer is only two months away.

Does he have the money to pay for the ticket?

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 1:12 am
Most yeshivas have off for Pesach, but six weeks sounds excessive. My sons in hesder get off from the 9th or 10th of Nissan and return about 3 days after yom tov.

Schools are not willing to undertake the effort and expense of preparing for the chag, however, places that cater to Americans will usually try to place the boys. Of course, that last day is hard if you are keeping 2 days because Israelis are already eating chametz. And it's expensive to be traveling around the country.

On the other hand, Pesach in Israel is beautiful. If there's a way to make it work, he's sure to have a wonderful time.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 1:16 am
amother wrote:
Most yeshivas have off for Pesach, but six weeks sounds excessive. My sons in hesder get off from the 9th or 10th of Nissan and return about 3 days after yom tov.

Schools are not willing to undertake the effort and expense of preparing for the chag, however, places that cater to Americans will usually try to place tyhd boys. Of course, that last day is hard if you are keeping 2 days because Israelis are already eating chametz.

There is usually someone who has family visiting that could host a bunch of boys.
There is plenty of time now to plan for such an eventuality.

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 1:50 am
6 weeks?

Oh, how nice: The yeshiva gave your son time off so he can help with Pesach cleaning. Very generous and excellent chinuch!

m in Israel

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 1:52 am
I've also never heard of a yeshiva being off for more than a month for Pesach. Can't you find out from the yeshiva office what their schedule is?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics