Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Should we take this tenant/How do we tell them no?

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 3:34 pm
We had a vacant apartment in our house for quite some time and it is a bad rental market in our area. Yesterday we finally found an interested tenant but we are very hesitant to go into this because the wife has a serious sickness and the husband is home taking care of the kids. The rent is supposed to come from tzedoka. They claim it will all be paid by specific family members who promise to pay but we're scared those people will later say they can't pay anymore. (They are not a wealthy family) Then of course we will become the evil landlords who are trying to evict a sick person.

Under what circumstances would you take such tenants? And if you wouldn't how would say no in a manner that won't cause extra pain to people who are already in a very difficult situation?

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 3:42 pm
I would only consider it with cosigners or if they could show assets. I have a tenant that on paper did not make a significant income but had substantial savings and two years later, the rent is still paid on time like clockwork.

doctorima

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 3:47 pm
In addition to cosigners, I would insist on a larger than usual security deposit, say 3-6 months of rent.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 3:48 pm
You definitely need cosigners and a very tight contract. Also a check for several months' rent used as collateral, to be returned at the end of the term if everything is ok. I dont know how it works in the states but this check should be guaranteed, like a money order.
The poor family. However, if you cant afford to give them free lodgings then you need to cover yourself.

nywife

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 4:35 pm
I agree with having a couple months rent paid upfront as well as a very specific contract that includes what measures will be taken if rent is not paid by a specific date. I also suggest having the contract looked over by a lawyer to ensure that is completely airtight.

ewzahl

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 4:37 pm
How about checking past references? Was there a reason they moved from their last residence?

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 4:42 pm
In some places there are limits to how much of a deposit you can ask for, sometimes no more than first and last months rent, so just keep this in mind.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 4:55 pm
What expense will you incur if you rent it vs keeping it vacant.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 5:33 pm
amother wrote:
We had a vacant apartment in our house for quite some time and it is a bad rental market in our area. Yesterday we finally found an interested tenant but we are very hesitant to go into this because the wife has a serious sickness and the husband is home taking care of the kids. The rent is supposed to come from tzedoka. They claim it will all be paid by specific family members who promise to pay but we're scared those people will later say they can't pay anymore. (They are not a wealthy family) Then of course we will become the evil landlords who are trying to evict a sick person.

Under what circumstances would you take such tenants? And if you wouldn't how would say no in a manner that won't cause extra pain to people who are already in a very difficult situation?

I think you should speak to a Rav (yours or someone else), preferably one who knows their situation as well, who would be willing to be a Guarantor on the lease. That way you could have the mitzvah of helping out a needy family but also the security of knowing that it would be a financially stable investment. The family might be less likely to default too knowing that a Rabbi is their guarantor.

I once had a Rabbi be my guarantor as I wasn't working at the time. I never once defaulted on my rent and I am sure that in part it was because I never wanted the embarrassment of the Rabbi having to bail me out.

studying_torah

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 6:31 pm
Bear in mind that it's often very difficult to evict a tenant once they're living in the home for a while.
Please speak to the previous landlords, and hope they'll be honest about the rent getting paid.
You should get more than one cosigner/ guarantor in writing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating