Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Slow cooker advice needed, please!

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 2:49 pm
Hi,

I just found a slow cooker at a great price. My husband has been suggesting for years that I use a slow cooker for my cholent, as I cook it on the stovetop and it never turns out that great.

Trying to decide if I should buy one now...

Most importantly, does anyone know if there are any halachic issues with using it on Shabbos? How does it work? I am assuming that you can only take out the cholent after removing the crockpot from the machine part? Is that correct? And then you probably cant put it back again, I am guessing.
Also, I once heard that you should put a piece of foil between the crockpot and the (hot ) base to serve as a blech. That really put me off using it, it doesnt sound so safe.

Could anyone in the know please clarify? As soon as possible please, because if I am going to get one, I would like to order it now before they are out of stock Smile
Thanks so much!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 3:57 pm
I've always lined the base inside with foil, and there was never a problem. DH is chassidish, and he says that it's fine halachically.

I love slow cookers for tough cuts of meat, making soup, and all kinds of things. I really love the plastic liners that you can get! Put a few cups of water in the crock, and put your food in the liner. That will keep your food from burning on the bottom, and makes cleanup a snap.

You for sure want to make sure that you are getting a model where the crock lifts out, because you can put it in the dishwasher. Otherwise, you end up scrubbing the whole appliance out by hand, and it's heavy and awkward (and you can't put in the foil blech).

Go on Pinterest and look up crock pot recipes. There is so much more you can do with it besides cholent, you'll find yourself using it all week long.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 4:04 pm
Thank you franticfrummie.

What I really want to know is, do I HAVE TO put foil between the base and the crockpot? Thanks...

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 4:08 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you franticfrummie.

What I really want to know is, do I HAVE TO put foil between the base and the crockpot? Thanks...

AYLOR Mine says no. Others say yes.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 4:13 pm
squishy, I tried to reach my Rav, but cant get through to him. Wjhich is why I am asking on here... thanks for that information though.

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 4:32 pm
My Rav leans way to the right and is usually very strict on kitchen issues. He doesn't let me do things that a Satmar Rav lets. He says the balls aren't necessary.

My sister in law's Rav is MO, and he insists on the tin foil balls. She has been using them for years, and her crock pot is fine.

I brown my meat first on the stove top after seasoning it. I then remove it and saute my onions until they are translucent. I then add my other ingredients.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 4:37 pm
There are different types of slow cookers.

AIUI, the ones with the heating element that comes all the way up the sides has possible issues of hatmana. The way around it is to scrunch some foil into little balls and place them on the bottom of the slow cooker before putting the insert in so that it is slightly raised. The slow cookers that just have a heating element on the bottom don't have the same issue but they're not as good for use over Shabbos in terms of keeping the food warm.

Slow cookers are amazing for chulent and soup and anything that works with being cooked at a low temperature for a long time. It's best if you take the insert out only once, but if you have to put it back for some reason you can do it the same way you would take a pot off the blech and put it back. You need to have the intention to put it back and you need to keep one hand on the pot/insert the whole time it is off the heat. Then you can put it back.

Using the plastic liners definitely helps cut down on the mess you need to clean up after shabbos as long as you put some water between the insert and the liner so it doesn't stick.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 4:38 pm
Squishy wrote:
My Rav leans way to the right and is usually very strict on kitchen issues. He doesn't let me do things that a Satmar Rav lets. He says the balls aren't necessary.

My sister in law's Rav is MO, and he insists on the tin foil balls. She has been using them for years, and her crock pot is fine.

I brown my meat first on the stove top after seasoning it. I then remove it and saute my onions until they are translucent. I then add my other ingredients.

I never used balls of foil, just a sheet that lines the inside.

Browning meat and onions is not strictly necessary, but it does improve the flavor a LOT.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 6:03 pm
It really depends, call your rav. Order the crockpot in the meantime, whatever is necessary for you halachically is very simple and shouldn't impact your decision to purchase.
BTW, my FIL paskens that by the time the day meal comes around, the cholent is so very ready that you can just a scoop it right out of the crockpot without having to remove the crock from the element.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 7:31 pm
thanks everyone, I guess I will wait to hear back from my Rav..

essie14

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 2:00 am
My Rav does not require anything in between the crock and the heating element. I use my crockpot during the week and for Shabbat. It's a lifesaver for weeknight dinners.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 12:23 am
Update:
I spoke to a Rav at the Star-k (I live in Baltimore)
He said that you only need foil between the two sections if you intend taking the crockpot out adn then putting it in again. As long as it is at least half cooked beffore Shabbos and you intend taking it out only once and not replacing it,then there are no issues and no need for foil

Thanks all of you for taking the time to respons
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics