Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Easy birthday cake

Lizajen

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 8:02 am
What's the easiest way to make a vanilla birthday cake with 2 layers and some kind of cream in between the layers? Does anyone have an easy, and good recipe, and tips for frosting it?

cbg

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 8:25 am
Duncan Heinz, can't go wrong

Lizajen

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 9:07 am
Thanx. So, bake to boxesworth of Duncan Heinz in round pans? How do I make a layer of cream in between? I know this is probably so basic, but I'm clueless.

kollel wife

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 11:13 am
I can't give a good answer about the icing, but make one cake and slice it in half - you can buy a special slicing device as well - but that'll make the two layers line up well - rather than put one cake on top of the other.

If you use two, the top of the cake will be rounded on top from rising and make it harder to line them up nicely, although the icing can help hide that - if you do two cakes.

MominMonsey

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 11:14 am
I just whip up some whip topping and use for frosting. You can add a bit of coloring to it and decorate with a piping bag.

cbg

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 11:50 am
There are many videos on YouTube.
I like the ones made by Betty Crocker

Duncan Heinz also makes frosting, but I like whip topping in the middle, you can also add cherry pie filling.

My favorite recipe is a Black Forest cake.
2 chocolate cake round
Whip cream
Cherry pie filing
Just layer cake, cream, filling (1/2 the can), cake, frost with whip, pick out some cherries decorate the top. Take a chocolate bar and using a peeler, peal some chocolate on top.

Lizajen

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 12:02 pm
Thanx. I have stencils that I thought would be cute to use with powder sugar. What do u think? How do you sprinkle powder sugar so it is even?

iyar

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 12:12 pm
If you just whip up plain pareve whip it doesn't last very long. Depending on how long you keep it in the fridge (or on the counter) before serving- you might end up with a soupy mess.
When you're whipping up the topping wait until it just starts to get foamy, then add 2 Tablespoons of confectioners sugar (icing sugar) or 2 Tablespoons vanilla pudding mix or 1 Tablespoon of each. (You might want to add a teaspoon of vanilla extract or other flavoring too.) The starch in the icing sugar and/or pudding mix will stabilize the mixture, and even if you keep it in the fridge until the next day the whip will hold its consistency.
If the cake is for kids, they will probably love it if you shake colored sprinkles all over the place when you're done.
Happy Birthday!

cbg

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 12:42 pm
If you are going to use the stencil with powder sugar then don't frost the cake.
Layer the cakes with desire filling.
Put the stencil on the top
Using a little stainer or a sifter, gently sprinkle the top with powder sugar.
Carefully remove the stencil.

Here's a cool video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m5wlKD_vrUI

Lizajen

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 4:29 pm
I'm using 2 8 oz containers of richa whip: so total 16 oz. thanx so much for the above recipe. Is that for one 8 oz container, and I should double the amount of vanilla pudding , etc? Thanx so much.

iyar

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 5:35 pm
The amount I gave you is for one container, but the containers I usually use are 10 oz.
You can use 3 - 3& 1/2 Tablespoons in your 2 containers of rich whip.
Hope everyone asks for doubles!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins