Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Help me find a "kosher" way to indulge my desire to perform

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 1:54 pm
I would like to know what options are out there for a frum actress/singer. I feel like my spirit is withering without my creativity having any outlet at all.
I am aware of Harmony. I have been a featured performer for many years. The concert is only every two years. This is an off year.
I have seen ads for Malky Giniger's Ratzon program but I don't know anything about it.

I hope someone here can help me. I find myself fantasizing every now and then of sneaking into a karaoke bar but then I calm myself down.

groovy1224

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 1:57 pm
Maybe you can organize a women's only kabbolas Shabbos or shalosh seudos in your home? You can sing the davening/ zemiros together.

sourstix

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 2:00 pm
malky giniger sings beautifly. if thats the route you want to take. look up her info. she is amazing.

and maybe you want to start having a concert for women only.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 2:03 pm
I'm following this thread. My dream was always to be an actress. For now I just dream.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 2:27 pm
Following. I also miss performing. I wish there was some women's choir or women's musical in NY. I see ads for such things in other places. I wish I could find in NY. Does anyone know of choirs or musical productions for frum women in the NY area?

trixx

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 2:33 pm
what about those movies (Light for Graytowers, Heart that Sings etc) - by Robin Garbose I believe - or performances put on by Miriam Handler?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 2:37 pm
What about the performances directed by Miriam Handler for Rachel's Place?

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 2:40 pm
Where do you live?

imasinger

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 2:40 pm
I hear you, sister.

I live OOT, so even fewer options.

doctorima

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 3:12 pm
Seconding the recommendation for the Rachel's Place productions. There's a poster here who I believe has been involved with them in the past - I think EmesOrNT - maybe PM her for info on this year's production.

syrima

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 6:19 pm
Malki Giniger has women's voice class on Tuesday nights. They perform at the end and each woman gets solos. Try it, they just started the class 2 or 3 weeks ago.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 7:19 pm
Also there is a karaoke bar in the city called gagopa on 35th street where they give you a private soundproof room and you pick the songs (english songs). I went with my husband and we had a wonderful time.

Also in my neighborhood (Queens) there is a play every year for women at the hachnassas kallah tea. We just had it last week and it was excellent. There was lots of singing solos, acting, some dancing. It takes place every November and the practices start in the summer.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 7:20 pm
OOH! OOH! ASK ME! ASK ME! THIS IS MY JAM!!

First of all, join the ATARA (Association for Torah And the Arts) facebook group!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/artsandtorah/

Here are some recent opportunities:

Quote:
ATARA CONFERENCE BEING PLANNED FOR THIS COMING MARCH 3-5 in BALTIMORE!
Artists from NY, NJ and the East Coast (between 2-6 hr drive) – please consider making arrangements to attend! Hospitality will be provided, and husbands-children welcome for those who require this. Adult and Junior talent: please let us know if you are considering the trip! conference@artsandtorah.org Meet your COLLEAGUES in the creative and performing arts from across North America, perform or teach – share your talent, and appreciate the range of talent from your colleagues in the performing arts within the Torah observant community. Weekend includes Shabbaton for the Arts: interactive theater games, harmonious zemirot, Torah on the arts and creative expression, and bonding with fellow artists. Motzei Shabbos and Sunday Matinee – Showcase performances for the women of Baltimore, Silver Spring and DC area. Sunday Morning and post-performance, workshop courses and Master classes in dance, vocal technique and theater. Additional seminars this year in “Behind the Scenes” – filmmaking, forming and sustaining a BAND, and more, and an ARTS AS A BUSINESS track – increasing your audience and sales, and intellectual property law! Our very first conference at Stern was in February, 2007 – so this March will mark our 10th year – we hope to see as many of you as possible – whether you have or haven’t attended in the past, we hope you will consider joining us now J www.artsandtorah.org

Quote:
Hello dear sisters,
My friend Chaya Sarah Schlussel, (author, producer, composer & film director) is now working on her third film & looking for new actresses! Auditions are happening tonight and tomorrow night, between the hours of 8pm - 10pm in Brooklyn @ 88 Lawrence Avenue.
All ages are welcome, however main characters will be teenagers!!!
For more information call 347-940-2723.

Quote:
ATTENTION NEW YORK ACTRESSES!! Looking to cast 4 actresses for "The Runaways" film already in production. Three actresses Age range 35-55 yrs and one actress 19-22 yrs. Experienced women only, who are available for rehearsals starting In December and shooting February 2017 for 3 days! Email rfimagesinc@aol.com to audition.

Quote:
Sunday December 4: AUDITIONS for LADIES GOT TALENT – NYC
It's here! The 7th Annual Ladies Got Talent! Register TODAY! Save the Date: Auditions 12/04/2016
Show 2/5/2016
The Jewish Center 131 West 86th Street, between Amsterdam and Columbus Avenues
Ladies' Got Talent: An all female talent show, by women, for women, helping women. This female initiative gives women artists the opportunity to perform in front of an all female audience. Ladies' Got Talent provides safe spaces for women both on and off the stage. REGISTER TO AUDITION-PERFORM! https://docs.google.com/forms/.....wform

Quote:
Tues Dec 3, Rosh Chodesh Teves! – Sing-a-long for Women!
1145 East 24th St, between K & L in Brooklyn, NY, 8pm. Join Zohar Zinn for Hebrew songs in honor of Chanukah!

Weds Dec 4, Rosh Chodesh Teves! – A Night of Lights Women’s Concert in Crown Heights!
Women and Girls of NYC and beyond! Warm your Soul 'N' Spirit this Chanukah with an evening of women's Jewish music at its best! Sarah Dukes, Bulletproof Stockings, Chava Erica Shapiro, Mirele Rosenberger, Esther Freeman, Rivka Eilfort, Sara Hecht, Rivka Leah Music and Shei Brummel! Only 20 discount early bird tickets left - Catch the first light and gets yours now at http://lylconcert.eventbee.com/ Levi Yitzchok Library, 305 Kingston Ave in Crown Heights, 7:45pm
May the light of your creativity shine out!

Isn't Harmony a Baltimore thing? This has already passed, but maybe they'll be having more?
Quote:
BALTIMORE: Women's open mic night is ONE WEEK AWAY!
Saturday night, November 19th, 8:30 PM
Act, sing, dance, play, read, joke, filibuster or come watch.
Each performer gets 7 minutes of stage time (2 songs, dances, poems max).
Show open to all ages, performers must be 16 or older.
Doors and sign-up list open at 8:00 PM
Park Heights JCC
***Admission: FREE!***
INVITE YOUR FRIENDS & LIKE THE GIRLS' NIGHT ON FACEBOOK PAGE! Facebook.com/girlsnighton613

Pinny

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 10:13 pm
I would say be in touch with the plays put on by miriam handler - you can pm me if you need to get in touch with someone who is in charge. As long as your willing to put your life on hold for the duration of the play it's doable.

reality mom

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 11:51 pm
I have performed in many such productions, but have not for the past few years for the simple reason that IT TAKES OVER YOUR LIFE. I have kids, and the last thing they need is for their Mom to disappear every single night at 6:45 until 11:00 PM. Its a great social life, and being on stage is a ton of fun. But I wont do it again at the expense of my kids. Its just not worth it for me. Just some things for you to consider.....

musicmom

Post Thu, Nov 24 2016, 12:06 am
I really don't have any answers either but for now (:-)) I am a public school music teacher and I teach kids how to perform. I teach class instruments like drums, guitar, bass,voice and then put together ensembles. It is gratifying and pays the bills.

There are two issues for you, one is who you perform in front of, and the other is that finding gigs/ management/ press is not easy for anyone. Being a live performer is a different skill from the amount you need to toot you own horn/ put yourself out there before you get a break in the business.

Additionally, for any performer, I find the challenge is where does health insurance come from? How will you be with your kids if you are on the road? Performers tend to make more money per hour than others, but they need to do a lot of work and schlepping to get those gigs, which may not be steady. In my town, actors/ actresses/ musicians get payed to come into the public schools and teach their art through integration with math and reading, so they need to prove how their skills will improve test scores (yes I know art should be appreciate for arts own sake).

Nowadays media in and of itself is it's own venue. Can you put together skits with your friends and record them for women? Initially you could just show the females in your community and get some feedback and support/ applause to get started.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries