Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Any other social workers on here?
Previous  1  2

tooperfect

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 6:31 pm
What about nursing homes? Does that interest you? Far Rockaway has tons

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 6:54 pm
amother wrote:
Lakewood area.. Sorry

Can you tell me where? I just got licensed as LAC and looking for a job too. Thanks!

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 7:20 pm
from what I find, most nursing homes want case management Sad

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 7:26 pm
amother wrote:
Can you tell me where? I just got licensed as LAC and looking for a job too. Thanks!

They want some experience. What's an lac?

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 7:30 pm
You're looking at this the wrong way. What population do you want to work with? What's your focus? Then find corresponding organizations. Be open to a job that is social work but where your title isn't social worker.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 7:37 pm
I want to work with children and/or young adults doing counseling. but as I mentioned, that's not working out for me. so, I'm trying to figure out other alternatives besides case management.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 7:42 pm
Can I somehow pm you so I can share how I went about getting a job when I first graduated

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 8:00 pm
amother wrote:
They want some experience. What's an lac?

Mental health counselor

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 9:27 pm
amother wrote:
Lakewood area.. Sorry

I would be interested! I've been working out of Lakewood for the past few years, would love to get a job closer to home.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 9:29 pm
amother wrote:
Mental health counselor

MHC is Mental Health Counselor.

LAC is Licensed Associate Counselor. After some experience and clinical supervision, it becomes LPC, Licensed Professional Counselor.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 10:01 pm
amother wrote:
MHC is Mental Health Counselor.

LAC is Licensed Associate Counselor. After some experience and clinical supervision, it becomes LPC, Licensed Professional Counselor.

Correct. I was too lazy to explain. There is no LMHC in NJ only LPC.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 8:12 am
Don't know what the requirements are but if you live in brooklyn, can you contact one of the agencies that do contract work for the dep of ed (like omni)? Many schools are looking for social workers, but they do it through an agency.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 8:26 am
amother wrote:
I would be interested! I've been working out of Lakewood for the past few years, would love to get a job closer to home.

Are you a social worker? How can I get in touch with you?

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 8:46 am
amother wrote:
Are you a social worker? How can I get in touch with you?

I am. You can email me at anonymousmother16@gmail.com

DVOM

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 1:09 pm
Hi Lime. I'm a social worker. So sorry your having a hard time finding the right job! I think the best way to find work in any feild is networking. I have a few suggestions: First, I would try to be a little more specific about the type of population you want to work with, and train up in that population. While I did learn alot in school, my most valuable clinical training has been post-graduate. You mentioned that you want to do clinical work with kids. Are you interested in trauma work, attachment, social skills, ADHD, ODD, anxiety, OCD? Do you have a modality you'd like to use? (sandtray, floortime therapy, play therapy, CBT, DBT, EMDR?) Attend any training you can in your area of interest. You'll meet other therapists who work with these populations. Strike up conversations, get thier email addresses, email to follow up and take them out to lunch to talk with them about thier work. At the very least you'll gain clinical skills and meet some interesting people who care about the same issues that you do, and at best, you might generate some work for yourself. My second recomendation is to take any job you can get, even if it isn't with your chosen population. When I first graduated from school knew that I wanted to work with children, but my first jobs were in the legal system and with geriatrics in nursing homes. Even though these were not my dream jobs, the friendships and connections I made there led (in a very roundabout way) to my current job. Also, even though those jobs (and any jobs you might find) were not strictly clinical in nature, because I knew that I wanted to do clinical work I actively searched for any opertunity to hone my clinical skills. Good luck Lime! I hope you find what your looking for!

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 3:40 pm
To those seeking jobs in Lakewood area. Have you tried LCSC, Chemed, Catapult?

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Nov 25 2016, 7:58 am
OP here,
to the other anon who asked how to reach me, you can email me at willpass2@yahoo.com.

thanks
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics