Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Letting toddler watch videos
Previous  1  2

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Nov 25 2016, 11:40 am
amother wrote:
Do you let your baby/toddler watch videos on the computer/tv? Why or why not?

I let my 3yr old. I've been suffering from depression the last few months and that's what gets me through the day. I don't like it, but its been a life saver.

I have a 22 month old also, but she almost never watches. She's happy going around the house and exploring. But my 3 year old is a hard kid and the way I've been feeling, it has just been so hard... once I started allowing him to watch videos, the atmosphere at home became so much calmer. At this point, I think that the advantage of allowing him to watch outweigh the disadvantage of him not watching. I do try to make sure that what he watches is educational and I do limit to an extent - I make sure he does spend some time playing, but he watches way more then I'd ideally like.

Volunteer

Post Fri, Nov 25 2016, 1:52 pm
One thing I've experienced with videos is that it's very easy to make it a habit as a go-to activity. There was a period when my son was sick, and his mobility and play were limited, and we couldn't always go outside due to weather, and I was stressed out.... So we wound up watching a little too much. But then he stated to miss tv on Shabbat. I thought that was a sign that we were watching too much. I don't want my son to consider Shabbat not fun because he got too used to tv on weekdays. So I scaled back on screen time, and now he doesn't miss it on Shabbat because it's not something we do regularly anyway.

Has anyone else noticed th at? What effect do you think screen time has on your children's Shabbat experience?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics