Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Minorities committing more crimes?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Nov 25 2016, 1:24 pm
MrsDash wrote:
That's because Baltimore city is predominantly black. When theres one race that makes up the majority, like say Lakewood, it's only natural that most offenses would be of their race or religion. In Lakewood, the non-Jewish people say that Jews are awful, aggressive, and dangerous drivers. You can cry anti semitism, but the majority of Lakewood is Jewish, so naturally most of the bad driving are committed by Jews.

I think your response is off point. Obviously because Baltimore has a large black community blacks will be involved in a large % of the crime. I think her point is that there is many more crimes because they are blacks. Can you compare the frum robberies in lakewood to the black robberies in Baltimore?

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Nov 25 2016, 2:27 pm
when the jew in me can't bargain them down; the puerto rican side steals it

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Nov 25 2016, 2:34 pm
marina wrote:
Public defense attorneys are swamped with work, underpaid, and often jaded.

Beyond that, unless an attorney can establish cause to excuse a juror (and that's not so easy), they have a limited number of challenges. You pick the least bad, knowing full well that that have issues.

Just to add that a big factor in crime is poverty. Because of systemic racism, because of poor inner city education, because of a lot of things, there is more poverty among minorities. And there is more crime among the poor than the rich. Making the rate of minority crime seem higher, when it's actually an effect of poverty.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Nov 25 2016, 2:40 pm
Of course biased people can still get on a jury. But anyone who admitted to any kind of bias or emotional connection to the case (relatives murdered, experienced gun violence in their own lives) was immediately sent home.

WhatFor

Post Fri, Nov 25 2016, 3:03 pm
Also consider the fact that one of Nixon's top aides recently confessed that the war of drugs was specifically initiated to target black people.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/a......html

What impact do you think it has on a community, when their men are systemically targeted and locked up for years at a time? (And then consider the fact that drug convictions are often felony convictions which employers are allowed to ask you about.... So it's even harder to get a job after that...)
Hopefully, as marijuana becomes legalized, such arrests will slow down, but a lot of the damage is already done.

debsey

Post Fri, Nov 25 2016, 3:34 pm
amother wrote:
Of course biased people can still get on a jury. But anyone who admitted to any kind of bias or emotional connection to the case (relatives murdered, experienced gun violence in their own lives) was immediately sent home.

And do you really think that someone is going to confess to being racist or anti-Semitic in this day and age? Or even worse, have subtle biases that they are not even aware of?

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Nov 25 2016, 4:07 pm
debsey wrote:
And do you really think that someone is going to confess to being racist or anti-Semitic in this day and age? Or even worse, have subtle biases that they are not even aware of?

Yes. People were admitting all kinds of biases to get out of it. I was there for 2 full days. I got out of it by saying I'm too emotional about gun violence (which is true).
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics