Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Shabbos mode Refrigerator brand and model recommendation
Previous  1  2  3  Next

nicole81

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 6:30 pm
Samsung is great, but so you know there's no sabbath mode. You would have to use heavy duty magnets to trip the sensors over shabbat.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 6:33 pm
[quote="nicole81"]Samsung is great, but so you know there's no sabbath mode. You would have to use heavy duty magnets to trip the sensors over shabbat.
thanks for letting me know. I'm looking for star k certified sabbath mode certified.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 8:43 pm
I'm also in the process of getting one and if you go to showrooms you'll see how they look. I want to get a side by side. From what I saw around I see Samsung looks the best in that range

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 3:46 am
amother wrote:
I'm also in the process of getting one and if you go to showrooms you'll see how they look. I want to get a side by side. From what I saw around I see Samsung looks the best in that range

but not shabbos mode

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 9:02 pm
I thought GE was sabbath mode certified by Star K, but it looks like it has the sabbath mode without the certification from star k. Is this true?

studying_torah

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 9:28 pm
Drooling over an LG French door in door fridge! I wonder if they're as great as they look, and I can finally have a more organized fridge! (The Samsung looks great too, but I don't want to lose shelf space to the ice maker)
Oh, and the magnets work on LG as well as Samsung! 😊

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Nov 24 2016, 5:51 am
amother wrote:
I thought GE was sabbath mode certified by Star K, but it looks like it has the sabbath mode without the certification from star k. Is this true?

I believe it used to have Star-K certification for the Sabbath mode, but there were problems with it and Star-K had to pull the certification. Please contact the Star-K for exact and accurate information.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 7:22 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I believe it used to have Star-K certification for the Sabbath mode, but there were problems with it and Star-K had to pull the certification. Please contact the Star-K for exact and accurate information.

thyank you

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 1:10 pm
Its 2022 and Im considering these 2 fridges, what are the pros and cons of quality, and Shabbos Mode on these 2 models, now in 2022?

https://www.geappliances.com/a.....JYMFS

https://www.samsung.com/us/hom.....r-aa/

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 1:37 pm
amother [ Viola ] wrote:
Its 2022 and Im considering these 2 fridges, what are the pros and cons of quality, and Shabbos Mode on these 2 models, now in 2022?

We have the ge and are very happy.

We bought the zmantech shabbos keeper and it's great! We have the light on in the fridge on shabbos, and we never need to remember to turn anything on or off.

It turns on from "early" shabbos, and turns off 90 minutes after shkiah.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 1:41 pm
amother [ Viola ] wrote:

it's easier to make a new post because different models now than 5 years ago.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 1:44 pm
Zman tech — what is this?

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 1:52 pm
amother [ Lightcoral ] wrote:
Zman tech — what is this?

The appliance store sold it to us, but you can find information about it online.

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 2:30 pm
How complicated is it to install Zman Tech? Do you have to do anything in any part of the fridge that you dont normally touch?

And what do you have to do every Friday to get it ready for Shabbos?

tia

happy12

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 3:02 pm
For shabbos mode with the zman keeper, you just set you location and then it works automatically until 2050 . At 90 minutes before shkiah the lights dim and the panel lights on the door go off so you know it's in shabbos mode . If you keep the keeper attached to the front of the fridge there will be two candles displayed when it is in shabbos mode. It is set for all yomin tovim too. It's a pleasure to have a light on the fridge on shabbos and not to have to remember to shut anything off before shabbos.

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 3:10 pm
happy12 wrote:
For shabbos mode with the zman keeper, you just set you location and then it works automatically until 2050 . At 90 minutes before shkiah the lights dim and the panel lights on the door go off so you know it's in shabbos mode . If you keep the keeper attached to the front of the fridge there will be two candles displayed when it is in shabbos mode. It is set for all yomin tovim too. It's a pleasure to have a light on the fridge on shabbos and not to have to remember to shut anything off before shabbos.

How does Zman Keeper program the fridge? What does installation involve?

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 3:16 pm
GE Cafe fridge
Very happy with it
Shabbos mode is easy to use

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 3:22 pm
amother [ Viola ] wrote:
How complicated is it to install Zman Tech? Do you have to do anything in any part of the fridge that you dont normally touch?

And what do you have to do every Friday to get it ready for Shabbos?

tia

It took dh a few minutes to set up. It's plugged into an outlet meant for it on top of the fridge.

And after that one time setup it's all automatic. We don't do anything, it switches over to shabbos mode by itself for shabbos and yt.

It's great. I will say it's a luxury, but when you're buying a $2k fridge, I think the extra 200 dollars was very worth it.

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 4:24 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
It took dh a few minutes to set up. It's plugged into an outlet meant for it on top of the fridge.

And after that one time setup it's all automatic. We don't do anything, it switches over to shabbos mode by itself for shabbos and yt.

It's great. I will say it's a luxury, but when you're buying a $2k fridge, I think the extra 200 dollars was very worth it.

Thats a second tax, and dont many fridges come with a Shabbos mode anyhow, that wouldnt cost a penny?

Last edited by amother on Sun, Feb 06 2022, 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Not_in_my_town

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 4:24 pm
It really depends on what your rav holds. You should discuss it with him.

The GE is the most mehudar. When used with the ZmanTech device, it operates on scheduling, controlling when the fans, etc., go on. Therefore, there is no melacha being done by the person who opens the door, albeit unintentionally

The other ones, from what I know, actually go according to a different psak. The psak with the Star-K models, for instance, actually activate systems through user interactions, albeit slightly delayed.

According to what was told to me by a rav who deals with this issue, the Star-K paskens that it's okay to type on a computer as long as one doesn't see the words being formed (I.e. the screen is off). This is the psak that is put into play with the Shabbos mode on their fridges. Because you don't SEE the melacha taking place, it's okay to do it...

All the fridges with a hechsher have rabbonim to rely upon. It really depends on what your community holds. If you want to be more machmir, GE is the best option. If you generally rely on Star-K food, for instance, the fridge is probably fine, as well.

Probably best to speak to your rav.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen