Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to Israel.
Previous  1  2

DrMom

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 2:52 pm
amother wrote:
I want to hear from other ladies like me who live their day to day lives there.
I am more or less fluent in Hebrew.
How hard is it to get a job? If I am fluent in bygone languages? What type of job am I likely to find. What type of pay would I be getting?
My husband has explained more or less prices of houses to buy. But renting? What's the prices to get a nice sized 2 bedroom flat? Really don't want a tiny squishy flat!
Schools- I've got one 2 year old so by when we move he will probably be ready for school. What are the costs like? If I wanted to work full day what are my options with schools finishing early? And if I was sending to some sort of after school club/babysitter how much extra is it?
Health care- how does the system work. I heard they changed the system recently?
Prices of food- I'm from the U.K. So I've heard in comparison the food in israel is cheaper but your not making as much- how does it work out in comparison to what you work is it expensive. Meat/fish/ general groceries- sounds funny but what about shampoos soaps things like that?
Cultural differences- I know there are plenty!!

Thanks for all the replies!

Being fluent in Hebrew will help you over the biggest hurdle for new olim: language barriers.

There are daycare facilities (gan/mishpachtonim) that run until 16:00 or 17:00 so if you work out side the home you can certainly find childcare.

The food here is reasonably affordable compared to the UK. Lots more frsh vegetabled and fruits compared to what I've seen in the UK. Shampoos and soaps are fine here. Local stuff is cheaper than imported.

"How hard is it to get a job? If I am fluent in bygone languages?"
What does this mean? Aramaic? Urdu? Latin?

In general, affordability will depend on your profession/career options. What are you trained to do? What are your skills? Will you both be working or just you?

byisrael

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 3:04 pm
The Mercaz area is expensive will probably 3,500-4,000 NIS.
If you are fluent in hebrew you shouldn't have to hard of a time finding a job, but the pay will probably be much less then you would make in the UK.
Does your husband have a lot of family? It really helps when you have a built in support system...

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 3:38 pm
DrMom wrote:
Being fluent in Hebrew will help you over the biggest hurdle for new olim: language barriers.

There are daycare facilities (gan/mishpachtonim) that run until 16:00 or 17:00 so if you work out side the home you can certainly find childcare.

The food here is reasonably affordable compared to the UK. Lots more frsh vegetabled and fruits compared to what I've seen in the UK. Shampoos and soaps are fine here. Local stuff is cheaper than imported.

"How hard is it to get a job? If I am fluent in bygone languages?"
What does this mean? Aramaic? Urdu? Latin?

In general, affordability will depend on your profession/career options. What are you trained to do? What are your skills? Will you both be working or just you?

lol it was meant to say BOTH languages. meaning hebrew and english. My husband will also be working as I wrote before I dont have a university degree but I have been working for quite a few years in different secretarial/admin positions and really enjoy it! but I would like a job thay I can grow in move up the ranks learn new skills etc.

I have heard alot that in israel the one job that makes the most money is 'hitech' apparently. computer programming and such. any one know about options for studying this in israel?
really appreciate all your replies!

sprayonlove

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 4:05 pm
amother wrote:
How hard is it to get a job? If I am fluent in bygone languages? What type of job am I likely to find. What type of pay would I be getting?
My husband has explained more or less prices of houses to buy. But renting? What's the prices to get a nice sized 2 bedroom flat? Really don't want a tiny squishy flat!
Schools- I've got one 2 year old so by when we move he will probably be ready for school. What are the costs like? If I wanted to work full day what are my options with schools finishing early? And if I was sending to some sort of after school club/babysitter how much extra is it?
Health care- how does the system work. I heard they changed the system recently?
Prices of food- I'm from the U.K. So I've heard in comparison the food in israel is cheaper but your not making as much- how does it work out in comparison to what you work is it expensive. Meat/fish/ general groceries- sounds funny but what about shampoos soaps things like that?

I can't tell you how much rent will be because it varies depending on location. Check out yad2.co.il and you can see what's out there to get an idea. It's pretty hard to find a good job. It's a bit easier in the center but of course the cost of living is higher. Minimum wage is 23-25 shekels per hr. This is the going rate for a secretarial/administrative job. I'm sure that's less than what they're paying in the UK. The good news is school tuitions, childcare and healthcare are cheap. But I don't find food cheap here. A big chunk of our income goes to food. Meat is expensive. In terms of toiletries I don't know what kind of variety and options they have in the UK but the options in Israel are nothing compared to what's available in America, also for double the price. Also makeup. what makeup? Makeup is soooo expensive here. Basically everything here is more expensive and the salaries are pitiful. But you save on affordable healthcare and cheap tuition. I have had wonderful experiences with doctors and healthcare providers. No complaints there. Anyway trust me people don't move here to be rich, if you come knowing this it will already be easier for you. And yes, there are tons of cultural differences but it gets easier with time.

enter

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 4:15 pm
I live in Jerusalem, and I find the life here is way quicker-paced and busier than where I lived in England. I didn't know the language, and I second whoever suggested to get your Hebrew as fluent as possible. (I know you mentioned it's relatively good. I struggled a lot with the language when I first came).

Shopping is one of the biggest things I miss in England - you do have some similar style shops here (Mango, H&M) and some Kinda American Style Malls, but I find them considerably more expensive and it doesn't quite reach England's. I miss Debenhams, Marks&Spenser, TKMax, Boots, etc. I miss the body care and cosmetics (make-up, shampoo, etc) and, as mentioned, its much cheaper to buy Israeli products than buying imported ones. Colgate toothpaste, for example, I found to be way more expensive than when buying in England.

However, I have gotten used to it, and for the most part accept that this is just part of living here. I've found the products I like, some Israeli and some Imported and if it costs a few more NIS, so be it. For me, it helps me when I don't count my pennies, and am okay with spending a little extra, in exchange for the quality of life I find it gives to us.

Electric products I also find to be considerably more expensive here. So, bring what you can with and buy the rest here.

Food, we've just got used to what they have here. Fruit and Veg are seasonal here, you won't find the same quality of the fruit/veg all yr around.

Regarding Medical Care: In England, NHS pays for everything. Here, you do have to pay a little each month to be covered under a Kupa, plus, some meds do cost something (under the Kupa, it may not be expensive). For us, we pay a small fee monthly for the meds I'm on, plus whatever it is to the Kupa, plus a small fee for the specific doctor I need to see, which comes to approx 200 NIS p/m - whilst in England I was covered by NHS and didn't pay. Having said that, the medical care I receive here is better than what I got under NHS.

Driving too is harder here, plus, they drive on the other side of the road, so be careful crossing!

I don't know about schools in the area you want to live, nor can I tell you about renting in that area. I'm not going to comment much on the job front now, but I wish you luck, and I'll just say the better you are in your chosen field, the more likely you are to find a job. So, if you could pick up your skills and freelance, for example, already now, I'd think you'd have a better chance here, of just continuing.

Also, I don't think you should fret too much, you still have some time before you move. I'd suggest the idea of moving just settle in your mind, try to come with an open mind and then your experience will be just yours. Not coloured with expectations or dread. This is my experience of living here, it won't be yours. I'm sharing, not so that you'll think this will be your experience, but so that you get a feel that life is life is life, wherever you are. The good and the bad.

We love it here, and are very grateful for the opportunity each day. But live in the moment, and enjoy living in England until then.

ora_43

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 5:06 am
amother wrote:
ill explain (my English isn't the best so I know I can come across different)
there is this bucherim behaving so badly I'm scared of them, I have lot of stories
1 example, saw a boy just go up to girls and hit them, I had this exact story with an arab not in Israel
docters-you can change once in 3 month, if you want a top dr you need to pay, no dr when giving birth, and every single dr I went so far I didn't like

So by "behaving like Arabs" you meant "behaving like one Arab man I met once"?

I realize you're not fluent but those are two different statements that it's really important to not mix up. Otherwise it sounds like you're saying that Arabs in general behave badly, which hopefully you realize is not the case.

ora_43

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 5:18 am
OP, I would say just - expect the first couple of years to be hard. When you first get here you won't know many people, the first apartment/neighborhood you find might not be a good fit, it might take some time to get used to speaking/reading Hebrew as quickly/fluently as you'd like, etc.

If/when things aren't working for you - don't assume that's just how it is! A lot of things can be solved IME. Even when people tell you "no, that's just how it is here." Even if Israelis say that. Ask. Sometimes things really can't be changed, but sometimes there are other options you might not be aware of.

Regarding jobs, again, expect a tough couple of years. If you're fully bilingual and with good secretarial skills there should be decent jobs available. Don't settle for one of those outsourcing jobs where they pay you 30 shekels an hour, you should be able to get 50. But it might take a while, or you might need one so-so job before you find a decent one.

Are you sure you're interested in hi-tech? Programming is a good field to be in salary-wise, but it can be hard to learn and the jobs can be demanding. If you enjoy programming, go for it, and there are a few programs to train for hi-tech jobs, but if you dislike programming don't try to fit yourself into that mold. JMHO. There are other jobs out there.

Preparing - if you come to Israel to visit, come look at specific communities and schools. Since you read Hebrew, try searching for jobs on Israeli sites like alljobs, or reach out on Israeli forums and try to find people who work in the type of jobs you're interested in. They can help you learn more about job availability and salaries. Teach your child Hebrew (including reading books in Hebrew - that helps with vocab, even if you speak Hebrew at home). Keep your job skills current and if you have a career path in mind, keep moving in that direction. Connect to Israelis on social media, especially Israelis living in the area you plan to live - maybe you can have a couple of friends waiting when you get here. If you plan to have a driver's license in Israel, make sure you have one in your current home country - AFAIK transferring a license is a lot easier than getting a new one.

B'hatzlacha!

israeliMD

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 12:44 pm
amother wrote:

Getting a job really depends on the field you are looking in. An entry level job assuming you speak English and Hebrew fluently should not be that difficult to get. Minimum wage is close to 5000 shekels a month at this point. You also get benefits in terms of a pension.

You should look at yad2 in the neighborhoods you are interested in to find prices. Use google chrome to translate if you have trouble reading the hebrew.

Health care: you sign up for 1 of 4 health funds and there is a government mandated basket of services you are provided. You can pay extra for better coverage.

Food: I'm from the US but find fruits and vegetables and some dairy cheaper but meat is more expensive. Good quality imported cheese is very expensive. I think toiletries are more expensive but if you look for sales the prices are reasonable.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating