Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much do you spend?

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:05 pm
After mortgage/rent, tuition, utilities, groceries, insurance and regular bills like phone bills, how much do you spend on extras every month?

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:13 pm
The answers are going to vary wildly.
Among the variables: income, savings, family size, location, age, and of course, priorities...

To answer what might be the implied question: the only way to make a budget is to look at your income and to work with it. It doesn't matter if everyone spends X dollars on clothes. If you only have half of X, that's the maximum spending level for you.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:17 pm
It was more like I wanted to know if what we're spending after paying all our set bills was wildly over or under budget the average..I know of course everyone has their own budget but was looking for the average amount..
To clarify I'm talking about after any bills that you pay every month like babysitter or whatever no matter what that amount is, how much do you allocate for all the other variables and extras like birthday gifts and kids glasses or amazon purchases...

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:24 pm
How could I know? Do you earn $50 k or 5 million a year? What are you buying on Amazon? We always assumed we'd get the least expensive of everything unless we could explain why the more expensive version was necessary. It works well for us.

It's very hard to know what is average or appropriate. Some people need their cleaning help. Some are happy to do their own cleaning but go batty without a major vacation twice a year. Some need designer clothes but skimp on housing. Whatever.

If you can afford what you are buying - and giving tzedaka in an amount that is appropriate for your income, and saving for retirement - go ahead and enjoy.

Marion

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:26 pm
Nothing. What Amazon purchase would be an extra? I have maybe 500NIS/month ($125USD) that's not automatically spoken for - it has to cover extra therapies, glasses, clothes, birthday gifts, simchas, shoes, and whatever else might crop up.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:30 pm
I know some people who are very successful at buying things at discount, know where to find good quality second hand clothes or have luck with clothing exchanges etc. They end up spending very little on kids clothes, incidentals etc. I have very little luck, I never seem to be able to find good quality kids clothes in the size and styles I need so I end up buying new. I don't buy the most expensive designer stuff, I'm happy with shopping at cheap stores but if the kids need coats or shoes or new tights I just buy what we need. Sometimes that means putting it on the CC to be paid off in due time.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:33 pm
We have a budget line of $200 for miscellaneous items because that's all we have left after bills and savings. But we also choose to have expensive nanny care and pay $2400/month for babysitting. If we sent to daycare instead, we'd probably put an extra $500/month into savings and add the rest to our miscellaneous budget.

Priorities for budgeted items are going to greatly influence how much is left over for extras. Some people will budget for personal trainers, others for a vacation fund, myself for more expensive childcare, and then others only true necessity. And what necessity is will even vary. Additionally, there are plenty of people who spend in extras beyond what their income allows and just accrue debt.

I don't really think you can compare to others. Firstly, if you can pay all your bills, BH. Aside from that you needed to decide with your husband how much should go into savings, and that should be considered as part of your monthly bills. Also decide if you want to put into any IRAs or retirement account and towards other mutual priorities. Whatever is leftover will be what you can spend. It doesn't really matter what other people do; you have to make it work for your situation and family.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:49 pm
Thanks all!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics