Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Getting honored as parents of the year at child's school

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 12:32 am
When someone gets honored as parents of the year at their child's school, what does it mean? What did they most likely do to be honored as parents of the year?

ROFL

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 12:34 am
Mostly it is a financial issue. If these parents can either give lots of their own money or know rich people who can donate money they get honored. Has almost nothing to do with what they contribute in a day to day level to the school.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 12:35 am
most likely they have lots of money, lots of friends and lots of contacts whom they can solicit donations from. And they presumably have helped the school out some way or another, either being on the board, on the parents associtation, or big donors.

hope I dont sound too negative or jaded, but whatever. Those are the people who get honored in my kids schools. Im not at all jealous, bH, even if I may sound it!

Lani22

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 12:43 am
I was asked to be honored as parents of the yr at my kids school a few yrs ago (I did not accept, my father was very ill at the time). It was an extremely wealthy school in Manhattan. I was not a big donor and I did not bring big money to the dinner. I was asked bc I volunteered allot of my time helping the school.

imasinger

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 5:37 am
There is nothing to be jealous about.

It means that some group of people thought they would be good fundraising prospects, either because they can have money, have connections with money; or have done enough and made enough people in the system feel good that they want to acknowledge them and buy tickets because of them.

In terms of real life, being honored is more a chore than anything else. Be sympathetic to those who are "chosen," and appreciate the sacrifices they are making on behalf of the organization for this "honor."

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 6:20 am
We don't do donors and parents and stuff. I would ask what they want me to do.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 9:17 am
DH has a brother who gets honored every so often, either by a school or an organization. He is financially well-off and also he and SIL have alot of friends/business acquaintances/contacts that are well-off and would contribute to congratulate them on the honor.

We happen to be very tight financially, as are just about all of his siblings and most of hers. It's really tough to be the sibling of a frequent honoree. The last organization called us and was so rude, and shamed DH into promising more than we could afford, and it came on the heels of another award that had also cost more than we could afford. We were going to all chip in for a family ad and the guy on the line literally blasted DH about what kind of a brother he is to do that. He did the same to DH's other brother. None of us felt like going to the event after that. Next time we are not getting sucked into this.

Just want to say BIL is a doll, and so is SIL. It's not about them, but the tactics of these places....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics