Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Any budding nutritionists out there?

moramom

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 8:52 pm
I have lost a few pounds and want to keep them off thru the winter, can you give me a menu plan for a week? My hardest parts of day are breakfast I usually have coffee and cookies, and after dinner till about 11pm.
Any good tips ?I munch in the winter as I am home most of the day and really don't want to regain the weight!
Am willing to answer any organizing questions as a swap! Thanks!

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 9:21 pm
Change your breakfast to coffee + any of the following:
Greek yogurt (without added sugar) and granola/fresh fruit
Oatmeal (unsweetened) with a drop of maple syrup or sweetener
Whole grain unsweetened cereal and milk (serving size)
Whole grain toast with a tsp of jam or peanut butter
Those are suggestions of you need carbs and/or are short on time. I personally make an omelette (1 yolk, 2 egg whites) with a drop of feta cheese and some olive slices, and I use Pam. I have a few halved strawberries for dessert.

After dinner, brush your teeth! You'll be less tempted to snack. Stay away from the kitchen; if you have a two story house, stay on the second floor and do housework or bedtime with the kids or exercise. Stay away from the kitchen and keep busy.

Good things to munch on throughout the day:
Sliced veggies (I like baby carrots, pepper, cucumbers and baby tomatoes) with a very small amount of dip (hummus or salad dressing; I use SaladMates)
Roasted veggies
Roasted chick peas (spice with garlic, paprika chili powder and Pam)-in moderation
Nuts (no oil) - in moderation
Fruit
Low fat, no sugar added yogurt (if you didn't have for breakfast)
Smoothies (frozen fruit+ low fat no sugar added yogurt + water or milk)

moramom

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 10:49 pm
Thank u for the tips!!
I havent tried greek yogurt yet
What type of oatmeal?how do I make it?

Maybe

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 10:58 pm
breakfast, BIG portion of scrambled eggs add coconut/palm oil or butter, wholegrain toast/bread & some veggies. Drink b/4 eating not after,should make you forget about food for hours.

To lose what you gained yesterday/ eat as many organic apples as you can all day. try it & post results

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 11:22 pm
moramom wrote:
Thank u for the tips!!
I havent tried greek yogurt yet
What type of oatmeal?how do I make it?

I suggested Greek only because it has more protein and is more filling; if you prefer regular (unsweetened) yogurt, no problem.
As for oatmeal, I use plain instant and add a tsp brown sugar or maple syrup (that's well less than the amount of sugar they add in the commercially sweetened version!) and some apple chunks or raisins.
You can find many healthy oatmeal recipes online, some of them are overnight recipes, I've never tried them but there are a lot out there.
(I don't recommend Maybe's approach of eating only apples- that is likely to backfire, and it doesn't give you a rounded balance of healthy fats, protein and carbs.)

cbg

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 12:23 am
Breakfast= protein and fruit

2 eggs, grapefruit, coffee, milk
1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cantaloupe, coffee milk
6 oz Plain Yogurt, frozen 8 oz blueberries, coffee milk
2 oz cheese, Apple (could be baked), coffee sweetner
Home made diet cheese cake, 8 oz frozen strawberries( heat up with sweetner) coffee milk
http://www.nutritionistintheki.....enes/
I make these in 4 oz muffins and freeze
4 oz plain soy nuts in milk and sweetner (like cereal), 1/4 honey dew, coffe milk

All breakfast are mix and match to your taste.

G
Lunch=raw low starch veggie, cooked low starch veggie,protein, 2 Tbsp fat

8 oz Veggie soup, 8 oz green salad with 2 TBSP fat, choice of protein 4oz
chicken
hamburger
Steak
Tilapia
Salmon
tuna
cottage cheese

Dinner, same as lunch, bigger soup, bigger salad, same protein.

This is the plan I use to maintain

When I'm good

amother
Black

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 2:56 pm
Also interested bump

moramom

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 10:30 pm
sounds good
snack ideas pleeease??

cbg

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 10:51 pm
Snacks are hard especially after 8pm

Sugar free gelatin

Don't know what else.

987gold

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:05 pm
Fruit
Low calorie snack bag popcorn, flutes, pretzels
Almonds - count them
Drink water
Crystalite
Save something to lunch on at night
tofutti pop

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 5:08 am
Apples make a great late night snack.

Stay away from all artificial sweeteners. They are just a bunch of nasty chemicals, and will mess up your insulin cycle. It's been proven that artificial sweeteners actually make your brain MORE hungry, than if you'd just added that extra teaspoon of real sugar. Stevia is OK, because it's a plant extract. Agave syrup is good, because although it has calories, it doesn't trigger an insulin reaction.

Scientists are mixed about the veracity of the "Eat Right for Your Type" diet, based on your blood type, but I've had amazing results. It's helped control my chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia, and as a bonus I've lost almost 15 pounds, while actually eating MORE than I usually do. I'm never hungry (although I've had to give up eggplant, potatoes, and tomatoes. *sob*)

Basically it's an anti inflammatory diet, and inflammation triggers your body to hold onto fat. Without the inflammation, the process of losing fat happens automatically, as it should. You'll fall to your proper weight, without going too low, and without hurting yourself.

Another bonus. Normally I'm too sore and exhausted to do anything. Without the inflammatory response, I now have the energy to get up and to things, which - burns calories! Very Happy

It's so easy to fall off of a diet. The thing is, when I cheat and eat something that is not approved for my blood type, I feel like absolute h*ll the next day. That's enough incentive to remind me that this is for my own good, and I can't wait until I start feeling better again. Diets should make you feel better, not worse!

cbg

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 7:50 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Stay away from all artificial sweeteners. They are just a bunch of nasty chemicals, and will mess up your insulin cycle. It's been proven that artificial sweeteners actually make your brain MORE hungry, than if you'd just added that extra teaspoon of real sugar. Stevia is OK, because it's a plant extract. Agave syrup is good, because although it has calories, it doesn't trigger an insulin reaction.

Scientists are mixed about the veracity of the "Eat Right for Your Type" diet, based on your blood type, but I've had amazing results. It's helped control my chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia, and as a bonus I've lost almost 15 pounds, while actually eating MORE than I usually do. I'm never hungry (although I've had to give up eggplant, potatoes, and tomatoes. *sob*)

Basically it's an anti inflammatory diet, and inflammation triggers your body to hold onto fat. Without the inflammation, the process of losing fat happens automatically, as it should. You'll fall to your proper weight, without going too low, and without hurting yourself.

Another bonus. Normally I'm too sore and exhausted to do anything. Without the inflammatory response, I now have the energy to get up and to things, which - burns calories! Very Happy

It's so easy to fall off of a diet. The thing is, when I cheat and eat something that is not approved for my blood type, I feel like absolute h*ll the next day. That's enough incentive to remind me that this is for my own good, and I can't wait until I start feeling better again. Diets should make you feel better, not worse!

Please give us more info, resources.
I want to learn more about this, and would love to treat my small aches and pain.

Do you exercise? I just can't get motivated to exercise, and after I do I'm totally exhausted, just walking at a normal pace.

My blood type is O+.

Where can I find the foods I should be eating?

lora

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 12:23 pm
the main thing is not to be hungry, coffee and cookies for breakfast will keep you going for exactly half hour before your searching again. a breakfast high in nutrition offers a great start Greek yogurt mixed with cut fruit, try frozen fruit not because its healthier only because its easier and if your used to just grab a breakfast it might feel to hard to start chopping fresh fruits in the morning. another great option would be mothers Oats, takes 3 minutes to prepare, just heat a pot add milk or water and oats stir till boils and pour into a plate, if you find it to plain you can top it with maple syrup/ honey fruits or cinnamon. Ezekiel bread is another thing you might want to introduce to your breakfast table. its high in protein and fiber and deliciously crunchy when toasted and topped with a thin slab of peanut butter or something salty, being that Ezekiel alone has a pretty flat taste. cheese are also great, cottage cheese with rice cake, farmer cheese salad (farmer cheese, butter, sour cream, paprika) or treat yourself to something sweet, blueberries, bananas and strawberrys topped with sour cream, YUM! the main thing is to be full once your done your craving for that snack is sometimes very justified, its because your hungry! when you eat 3 highly nutritious meals a day you'll find yourself feeling much more satisfied and less interested in that junk. keep healthy snacks around as well just in case, lots of nuts fruits sugar free sucking candies or gum if you must, or rice cake topped with cream cheese peanut butter or all natural jam.
good luck!

lora

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 12:27 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

the following is a link for the book "eat right for your blood type" by doctor D'Adamo https://www.amazon.com/Eat-Rig.....dtype I tried it myself though not sure what I was looking for (wasn't weight loss) so I cant tell you if it worked... its quiet a controversy but might be worth a try...

iyar

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 1:37 pm
moramom wrote:
I have lost a few pounds and want to keep them off thru the winter, can you give me a menu plan for a week? My hardest parts of day are breakfast I usually have coffee and cookies, and after dinner till about 11pm.
Any good tips ?I munch in the winter as I am home most of the day and really don't want to regain the weight!
Am willing to answer any organizing questions as a swap! Thanks!

First of all-
Congratulations on losing those pounds! Not easy... Trust me. I know.
I liked the menu cbg posted!
If it works for you- great!
If not, that might be because you're not getting any complex (read: satisfying & filling) carbs.
If you're not loading up on lots of legumes: beans, lentils etc, then a low carb diet like that leaves you far short of the at least 20 grams of fibre a day you should be getting. And hungry.
Try adding some brown rice or whole wheat or multi grain products (pasta, bread, couscous). Make sure it's the real thing. Some bakeries add a little brown caramel coloring and one part whole grain to 20 parts regular white flour and call their product whole wheat bread. Not helpful.
You don't need simple carbs (sugar, honey, donuts, white bread) to help you feel full. On the contrary; those are more likely to trigger additional sugar cravings in a vicious cycle that will leave you eating more and feeling less satisfied. Also less skinny.
Complex carbs, as above, can be very helpful when you're dieting.
For your breakfast problem, if cbg's breakfasts aren't working for you, try to find time on Sunday or maybe one evening a week to bake some healthy muffins or cookies that you can freeze, and take one out for yourself the night before. A bakery muffin is NOT a good idea. There are recipes for healthy whole grain breakfast foods made with oats, whole grain flour, bran, wheat germ, and only small amounts of sweetener. Add ins like nuts or dried fruit in small amounts are delicious and high in nutritional value. Those are also calorie dense so don't overdo it. Look for something at or below 150 calories.
For your after dinner issues, I agree with the person who suggested an apple; or a different fruit if apples aren't your thing, or a few (6-10) almonds or mixed nuts. Also a great idea to just get used to not eating after a certain hour. A study done recently found that fasting overnight helps weight loss. A twelve hour fast (as in 7 pm to 7 am) is actually a very good idea. If you can stretch the fast longer (try 6 pm to 8 am, or whatever works on your schedule) is even better.
Bottom line- as I'm sure you know, if you manage to burn more calories than you eat, you'll lose weight. The trick is to provide your body with enough nutrition at the same time so it doesn't rebel by making you feel like you're starving, or worse.

sky

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 1:42 pm
I find if I eat a solid breakfast I eat differently my entire day. My current favorites

Oatmeal
1/2 cup oatmeal (old fashioned) + 1 cup water + cinnamon, vanilla extract, lemon extract, 2 splenda packets, salt, in microwave for 2 minutes. Add 3/4 c. fruit (I like strawberries and blueberries). Heat in microwave additional 3 minutes.
(Based on this recipe: http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....21304)

1 1/2 cooked Eggs on a low calorie wrap (like flatouts). with different variations of the egg:
Sunnyside up with 1/4 avocado
saute onion, mushrooms and spinach in pam, add scrambled egg
Spanish omelet: suttee onions, tomatoes, olives, add scrambled egg
sometimes add some fat free cottage cheese

For snacking if love having a big pot of soup on my fridge and I just make a bowl in the microwave especially in the winter.
Saute onion and garlic in pam
Add veggies. A big bag of broccoli is a fast healthy base, zuchhini, carrots, parsnip, turnip, watever you like.
Cover with water and cook until soft.
Blend and add salt and pepper.
I sometimes like adding 1 cup of lentils it adds calories but also fills me up a lot more.

Also preparing snacks in the morning for the entire day helps:
- Cut English Cucumber
- Cut colored peppers
- Baby carrots with a measured serving of chummus
- Light Popcorn (Golden Fluff makes great single serve bags)
- Shibolim WW crackers
- WW Oat Pretzels
- Apples
- Clementines
- 30 - 50 calorie fudge\sorbet bars make a good midnight snack
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking