Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
If u don't have cleaning lady how do change linen every week
Previous  1  2  3

For those without cleaning lady or other help and at least 3 kids, do you change linen yourself every week?
yes  
 12%  [ 20 ]
no  
 87%  [ 135 ]
Total Votes : 155

gold21

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 9:24 am
amother wrote:
Yes, and Queen Elizabeth I took a bath once a year whether she needed it or not.

Not nice.

Before I had cleaning help- about 6 years ago- I wasn't religious about changing linens weekly. People do the best they can; catty comments are just that- catty.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 9:43 am
I teach my kids to take off linen by themselves, so I can dump it into the wash easily. They also put sheets and pillowcases on by themselves, and just need some help with the duvet cover. That way, the linen gets changed frequently enough without all of it being on me....

The key to running a smooth, functional home without outside cleaning help is...having a system and getting everyone in the family involved. You don't have to be the cleaning lady!

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 9:44 am
chanchy123 wrote:
You assume one has at least two sets of good linens for each bed in the house.

Actually, no I don't. I'm not addressing people too poor to be able to afford two sets of linens. That is not what this thread is about. This is about people moaning that it's just SO HARD and SO MUCH WORK to change linens on a weekly basis unless they have a cleaning lady to do it for them.

I grew up poor, before the advent of fitted sheets. When it was time to change sheets every Friday, the cleaner top sheet became the bottom sheet and we put on a new top sheet. And when a sheet wore out in the middle, we ripped it down the center and sewed the two outside ends together, so that now the relatively unworn part was in the middle and the worn-out section was on the outside to be tucked under the mattress.( To my amazement, a friend of mine who attended a Swiss finishing school learned to do the same thing, which goes to prove that thrift is not necessarily only for poor people. But I digress.)

Now if a family is so poor that they have only one extra set of linens, then clearly only one bed can be changed at a time. But methinks that even under such circumstances, if cleanliness is a priority, it should be possible to launder one set of linens a day, so that over the course of a week, six beds can be changed. Yes, Virginia, it is possible to launder just one set of linens--by hand, if necessary. My mom used to scrub laundry on a washboard, boil sheets in a big bucket on the stove, wring them out by hand and hang them up on a clothesline. I have vague memories of holding on for dear life to one end of a sheet while my mom twisted it and twisted it to wring out the water. I wouldn't want to have to do that myself, but if it's a matter of "ein brerah", it can be done.

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 9:44 am
This may be a dumb question, but if changing blanket covers (pardon me, I'm old-fashioned and un-fancy, and using French terms instead of equivalent English terms in English-speaking countries offends me. Where I come from, It's a blanket cover or a quilt cover. Duvets are for people who put on airs. End rant.) is so danged difficult for you ladies, why are you using them as sheets? You should be using a flat sheet between the quilt cover and the body.

gold21

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 9:47 am
zaq wrote:
Actually, no I don't. I'm not addressing people too poor to be able to afford two sets of linens. That is not what this thread is about. This is about people moaning that it's just SO HARD and SO MUCH WORK to change linens on a weekly basis unless they have a cleaning lady to do it for them.

I grew up poor, before the advent of fitted sheets. When it was time to change sheets every Friday, the cleaner top sheet became the bottom sheet and we put on a new top sheet. And when a sheet wore out in the middle, we ripped it down the center and sewed the two outside ends together, so that now the relatively unworn part was in the middle and the worn-out section was on the outside to be tucked under the mattress.( To my amazement, a friend of mine who attended a Swiss finishing school learned to do the same thing, which goes to prove that thrift is not necessarily only for poor people. But I digress.)

Now if a family is so poor that they have only one extra set of linens, then clearly only one bed can be changed at a time. But methinks that even under such circumstances, if cleanliness is a priority, it should be possible to launder one set of linens a day, so that over the course of a week, six beds can be changed. Yes, Virginia, it is possible to launder just one set of linens--by hand, if necessary. My mom used to scrub laundry on a washboard, boil sheets in a big bucket on the stove, wring them out by hand and hang them up on a clothesline. I have vague memories of holding on for dear life to one end of a sheet while my mom twisted it and twisted it to wring out the water. I wouldn't want to have to do that myself, but if it's a matter of "ein brerah", it can be done.

I assume your mother didn't work full time.

Apples and oranges.

Anyway, people are allowed to be bothered by things that don't necessarily bother you.

gold21

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 9:51 am
Chayalle wrote:
I teach my kids to take off linen by themselves, so I can dump it into the wash easily. They also put sheets and pillowcases on by themselves, and just need some help with the duvet cover. That way, the linen gets changed frequently enough without all of it being on me....

The key to running a smooth, functional home without outside cleaning help is...having a system and getting everyone in the family involved. You don't have to be the cleaning lady!

It's hard to get very young kids involved. It's easier when they're a bit older.

gold21

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 9:53 am
My linens are changed weekly B"H (or more frequently if needed)- I have a really wonderful cleaning lady B"H- but I get annoyed when women who work very hard are judged for not getting everything perfect. Nobody gets everything perfect.

sky

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 10:21 am
Just curious - if you just use a sheet and quilt - do you use a top sheet? do your kids make their beds with the top sheet as well? If you don't use a top sheet how often do you wash the quilt\blanket.
For me the sheet and pillow case are the quick\easy part. Its the quilt cover that takes so much longer. Making a fresh bed with a top sheet also takes time.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 10:32 am
gold21 wrote:
It's hard to get very young kids involved. It's easier when they're a bit older.

Depends what you mean by very young...but I actually believe that if you don't get them involved when they are young, you are going to have a harder time recruiting them when they are older...

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 10:35 am
BTW now that my girls are teens, they learned some sort of way to put on the duvet cover by rolling up the quilt into the cover that is inside out and then unrolling it...honestly, I don't know how it works and I'm fine with the method I've been doing for years...but it works for them and they are able to do it themselves. Which works for me.....They claim it's much easier and takes less energy. Their young newly married aunt has taught them some tricks....

zigi

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 10:41 am
I hate wrestling with duvet covers, the truth is the thinner the blanket inside the easier to get it in faster.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 10:58 am
I have 10 kids, a job, and no cleaning lady. My 4 oldest kids change their own linens whenever they please (probably every 2 weeks). The rest of us? Not more than once a month. We all go to bed clean and nobody wets the bed, and sometimes you have to choose which ball you're going to drop. We're all healthy and happy despite our dirty linens.

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 11:07 am
Chayalle wrote:
Depends what you mean by very young...but I actually believe that if you don't get them involved when they are young, you are going to have a harder time recruiting them when they are older...

Quite so.

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 11:25 am
gold21 wrote:
I assume your mother didn't work full time.

Apples and oranges.

Anyway, people are allowed to be bothered by things that don't necessarily bother you.

Actually my mom worked pretty close to full time, but what does that have to do with the price of gefilte fish in Monroe? OP didn't say she works full time, or at all. She said she doesn't have a cleaning lady. FTR, my mom didn't have a cleaning lady, and she also didn't have a food processor, blender, mixer, crock pot and all the other labor-saving devices most amothers have, so everything she did took longer. ...about the only appliance she had was a vacuum cleaner. And she had the care and feeding of an elderly mother in addition to caring for her kids.

But so what? I assume that nobody is laundering their linens by hand nowadays. The point is that if cleanliness is a priority for OP or any other poster here--and I'm not saying it is--then it can be done. If it's not a priority, then it's not a priority. In which case, don't change your linens till your foot pokes a hole in the sheet, but don't whine that you can't change them because it's SOOOOO HARD. You don't know what hard is.

gold21

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 11:30 am
zaq wrote:
Actually my mom worked pretty close to full time, but what does that have to do with the price of gefilte fish in Monroe? OP didn't say she works full time, or at all. She said she doesn't have a cleaning lady. FTR, my mom didn't have a cleaning lady, and she also didn't have a food processor, blender, mixer, crock pot and all the other labor-saving devices most amothers have, so everything she did took longer. ...about the only appliance she had was a vacuum cleaner. And she had the care and feeding of an elderly mother in addition to caring for her kids.

But so what? I assume that nobody is laundering their linens by hand nowadays. The point is that if cleanliness is a priority for OP or any other poster here--and I'm not saying it is--then it can be done. If it's not a priority, then it's not a priority. In which case, don't change your linens till your foot pokes a hole in the sheet, but don't whine that you can't change them because it's SOOOOO HARD. You don't know what hard is.

Lol Zaq.

I dunno.

Coffee Addict

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 11:34 am
I HATE changing linen. Actually, I hate more the ideas that I have to do it today than the actual job. Lol.

I have several kids. Bh. Officially, I change it every other week, but it can happen every third week as well embarrassed

I do have a cleaning lady, but I would rather give her something else, I have a big house to clean. I do it myself. I don't work, if that's a factor. It surely is Smile

The baby's I change more often.

lfab

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 11:48 am
During cooler months I change our linens every other week. In the Summer I change every week. But in the summer months I don't put the quilts into the duvet covers so it goes much faster. The kids linens get changed less often (probably about once per month).

gibberish

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 12:19 pm
amother wrote:
My issue is not the stripping the linen, it's washing it. I live in an apartment a washing machine in the basement and I pay per load. The linens are around two loads that are just not worth doing all the time ...

Same here; I can't afford to wash all linens every week

Marion

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 1:50 pm
amother wrote:
Just curious, for everyone who says they put up the wash before going to work. How many loads do you do a week?

Because I put up laundry before leaving in the morning as it is. Every week are aprx. 5 loads of clothing + 2 loads towels.

Also, just wondering how many kids you have in bunk beds? Because I find those top beds pretty challenging!

2 loads every day except Shabbos. 1 in the morning, 1 in the evening. Friday morning gets a load; motzaei Shabbos gets a load. 12 loads/week. 5 people. (This includes some smaller loads for whites/tzitzis as no one has enough pairs to get through the whole week; my boys - four of them - insist on a clean pair every day. It also includes extra loads of linens if someone wets the bed. Doesn't happen often, but does still happen.)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics