Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Machput hechsher

yo'ma

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 4:58 pm
I think that's what it's called. Do you buy it? Is the meat with this hechsher a lot more than other meats?

notshanarishona

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 5:05 pm
Machpod is typically cheaper than eidah/rubin/landau but beit yosef is normally the cheapest.
I used Machpod for chicken but not for meat .

yo'ma

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 7:12 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Machpod is typically cheaper than eidah/rubin/landau but beit yosef is normally the cheapest.
I used Machpod for chicken but not for meat .

That's interesting! I don't know about the other hechsherim you listed, but now my husband is doing that hechsher (he deals with shochtim) and they have so many more people come, 3 times the normal amount than when it's just regular rabanut. Mind you, they're the same people, just more and they're doing the exact same thing.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 8:06 am
Harav Machpud btw
It's a very reliable hechsher just less accepted that Eida, Rubin and Landau.
I'd imagine there's more because of the price.

rneumann

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 12:41 am
Ask your own rav, but we were told that Machpud is very very reliable, and you can even serve it to your ashkenaz guests without telling them(even though a lot of people think Machpud is not so reliable). Apparently, Rav Machpud was sick for a while and his son took over, so people weren;t sure about it anymore. Now, he came back and people still think they don't hold of it.
The meat is SOOO much cheaper than the other chareidi hechshers.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 2:01 am
None of the charedim I know eat it
I don't think it has anything to do with being reliable or not - it might be a very good hechsher, but the sefardi hechsherim have different minhagim on how to do things so you have to be careful if that is not your mesorah.
Also with all fruit and vetegable variants that involve terumas umaserurs eg tomato sauce you have to be careful since they have different minhagim with the way they do it.

And whether or not it's a good hechsher, I wouldn't think it's right to ever serve someone something who wouldn't eat it if they knew what you were giving them.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 2:39 am
It's not sefardi, and more chareidi meat it than you imagine.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 2:49 am
Iymnok wrote:
It's not sefardi, and more chareidi meat it than you imagine.

It definitely is a sefardi hechsher.

The ones that I know don't, but yes I can't speak for those I don't know...

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 3:17 am
amother wrote:
None of the charedim I know eat it
I don't think it has anything to do with being reliable or not - it might be a very good hechsher, but the sefardi hechsherim have different minhagim on how to do things so you have to be careful if that is not your mesorah.
Also with all fruit and vetegable variants that involve terumas umaserurs eg tomato sauce you have to be careful since they have different minhagim with the way they do it.

And whether or not it's a good hechsher, I wouldn't think it's right to ever serve someone something who wouldn't eat it if they knew what you were giving them.

While it is a sfardi hechsher, they follow all of the minhagim and stringencies of ashkenaz hechsharim. We asked a very reliable rav, and when people come to my shabbos seuda and I cook machpud, I do not have to tell them its machpud. It is that reliable of a hechsher, even for ashkenazim. Believe me, we are as charedi(ashkenaz) as they come. If people would look into it more they would see they can eat machpud.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 3:54 am
amother wrote:
While it is a sfardi hechsher, they follow all of the minhagim and stringencies of ashkenaz hechsharim. We asked a very reliable rav, and when people come to my shabbos seuda and I cook machpud, I do not have to tell them its machpud. It is that reliable of a hechsher, even for ashkenazim. Believe me, we are as charedi(ashkenaz) as they come. If people would look into it more they would see they can eat machpud.

I will say under my screen name that we were told the same thing (not about telling people or not, about the idea that it is a super reliable hechsher and fine for Ashkenazim). They keep all the chumras of both Ashkenazic and Sefardic poskim. IIRC R'Machpud learned with some chashuva Ashkenazic poskim in addition to his Sefardic roots, although I don't remember who. We are totally Ashkenazi Chareidi.

Everyone should obviously ask their own posk.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 5:06 am
I wasn't asking about the kashrus, only the price. The meat under machpod that will be coming from Argentina soon will, in my opinion Smile , be a good hechsher. They only started less than two weeks ago and are going home for chanukah.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 6:26 am
yo'ma wrote:
I wasn't asking about the kashrus, only the price. The meat under machpod that will be coming from Argentina soon will, in my opinion Smile , be a good hechsher. They only started less than two weeks ago and are going home for chanukah.

Well when you said in the OP "do you buy it?" it sounded like you were asking whether people consider it a hechsher that they buy. Smile As others have said, the price is usually less than the other "top" hechsherim like eida chareidis/rubin/sheiris/laundau, etc., although it is more than Bedatz Beit Yosef.

5*Mom

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 6:37 am
We also eat Harav Machpud chicken but I would NEVER EVER serve anything to someone without making sure that they are okay eating it. My rav is not their rav. It is not my place to make those decisions for anyone else even if I think they're being silly or overly machmir or just ignorant. That is not my place no matter what a rav says.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 6:48 am
5*Mom wrote:
We also eat Harav Machpud chicken but I would NEVER EVER serve anything to someone without making sure that they are okay eating it. My rav is not their rav. It is not my place to make those decisions for anyone else even if I think they're being silly or overly machmir or just ignorant. That is not my place no matter what a rav says.

Just to be clear when I said "we were told the same thing" I did NOT mean about not telling people. I meant about the quality of the hechsher -- I never asked about whether or not to tell because I definitely agree that I would not want to serve someone food they would not want to eat. If I am having guests I would definitely make sure to only serve hechsherim they are comfortable with.

5*Mom

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 7:54 am
m in Israel wrote:
Just to be clear when I said "we were told the same thing" I did NOT mean about not telling people. I meant about the quality of the hechsher -- I never asked about whether or not to tell because I definitely agree that I would not want to serve someone food they would not want to eat. If I am having guests I would definitely make sure to only serve hechsherim they are comfortable with.

I got that. My post wasn't directed at you Wink.

Maybe

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 8:52 am
I have a close relative who workes for Eidah, & says they rely on Machpud as a 1st class hechsher.

He worked closley with Rav Landau & they respect each other.

BTW Beit Yosef Glatt is more stringent than Askenaz.

If anyone trusts him for chicken & not beef, would you please explain why.

One relative who will not eat any beef, based on his rav's rulling, so I have frozen beefless meals & soup for whenever they come, but as far as asking your visitor for a list of what they eat, AYLOR if that is required, or just a nice habit.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 12:18 pm
It is NOT sefardi hechsher, it's a teimani (yemenite) hechsher.

Many hold that the sefardi shchita is not similar enough to the ashkenazi shchita to be eaten by ashkenazim.

Teimani (yemenite) shchita is similar enough to ashkenazi shchita to be eaten by ashkenazim.

shevi82

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 12:46 pm
Harav Machbud is Temani not sfardi. The shchita is not sfardi schita, therfore many many charedim use his hechsher as opposed to Beit Yosef where the Shecita is Sfardi so usally Ashknazim will not buy it.
To the mother who does not know any charedim who eat it, ask israeli ashknazi charedim , many do eat it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions