Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
How would you handle this?

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 12:54 pm
Will try to keep this as short and simple as possible.

Basically in shul this shabbos someone walked up to DH and said something inappropriate and personal about child's teacher's marriage - with child standing right there.
Since she heard it, I had no choice but to acknowledge what was said. I told her that #1 it might not be true and #2 it really isn't our business and #3 being that it's a private matter and especially being that it might not even be true, she should under no circumstances share what she heard with her classmates. Really hoping she gets it and wont be tempted to share with her friends. She's only 8. I don't know if she really understands.

Anyhow, anything else I should say to DD? I'm horrified that someone would have talked like this to DH in front of her. I don't like knowing, it's not my business. I am more concerned that DD should really understand what's at stake if she chooses to share such inappropriate information, also that she should not think any less of her amazing teacher now.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 1:12 pm
It sounds like you did whatever damage control you could. I actually think that bringing it up to your child any more would not be a good idea - you don't want to draw more attention or excitement to this, as that could make it more tempting to talk about.

You might want to say something to the adult there, about what you might prefer they don't say in front of your child...and for what purpose was it said to your DH, anyway. Someone seems a bit clueless at best, and rather yentish at worst....

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 8:45 pm
TY for responding. DD hasn't mentioned it again so either have I. I'm just so annoyed by the lack of sensitivity. Bad enough to speak lashon hora, but to do it in front of a kid about her teacher? Awful. So sad it happened.

imeinu

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 8:49 pm
that is sad.
sounds like you handled it to the best of your ability.

hope e/t works out
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette