Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Quitting mid year
Previous  1  2

mums_the_word

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 1:51 pm
Definitely a good idea to speak to the principal. Don't know what your school is like, but in the places that I've worked, assistants often move classrooms fit all sorts of reasons. If there's a clash between yours and the main teacher's philosophy or if you're just a bad fit with each other, you might do much better in another classroom.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 2:20 pm
Op here
It's my second year but different head teacher. I would rather teach high school so I wouldn't want to come back to this school. I already spoke to the assistant principal and voiced all my concerns and he was very nice about it and I mentioned quitting and I have a meeting with the principal about what I discussed with the AP this week. I've been working with children for many years but now that I have a baby I feel I'd rather spend time with my child than be miserable at my job day in and day out. Most days I feel like crying. I feel like I don't have much of a say in the cladsroom, the head teacher doesn't delegate well so I end up not doing what she wants and she'll contradict me in front of the kids. The kids then see this and know I'm not the one necessary to listen to. I know it isn't wise to quit for the future and after reading everyone's posts I'm even more nervous about it but idk how much longer I can last with this. I had a conversation with the teacher about the delegating and contradicting but nothings changed. There are extremely difficult children in the class as well. There are some children who I love and enjoy as well but it's become increasingly harder everyday to get by. I would be so much happier to spend the rest of the year enjoying my baby but many of you said, it will probably be extremely hard finding a job that will want me next year if I quit.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 2:36 pm
OP,

If you can bow out now and give 2 weeks notice, it will work out for the best. Explain, for family reasons you cannot continue teaching. But dont let them overlook your service for the past year or so! Ask for a letter of recommendation. They may say no, but dont be afraid to try. Business is Business. Leave on your terms. You did nothing wrong and you really tried your best. You are not being fired. I repeat, you are not being fired from your job.
You are moving on to your home and baby.

Then, start fresh and new and ease yourself in when you are ready to teach again. You can build up your resume with other teacher assistant positions. Hopefully you will still have a letter of recommendation to present to a future employer. But if not, then seek schools elsewhere and dont bring up your old job as a reference but just as a source listed in your experience column. They can call your old job if they want to as a reference, but they really cant bad mouth you other than the fact that you needed to leave because of family reasons. Who nows? by the time you start looking again the head of school will probably be someone else. or you may have had new experience in child care with other employers who can recommend you.

-I have been there done that, I hope my advice helps you

Iymnok

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 2:55 pm
If you do quit, sing up at your ideal school as a substitute teacher to get your foot in the door.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 2:56 pm
Iymnok wrote:
If you do quit, sing up at your ideal school as a substitute teacher to get your foot in the door.

Excellent idea!!!

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 5:16 pm
amother wrote:
Op here
It's my second year but different head teacher. I would rather teach high school so I wouldn't want to come back to this school. I already spoke to the assistant principal and voiced all my concerns and he was very nice about it and I mentioned quitting and I have a meeting with the principal about what I discussed with the AP this week. I've been working with children for many years but now that I have a baby I feel I'd rather spend time with my child than be miserable at my job day in and day out. Most days I feel like crying. I feel like I don't have much of a say in the cladsroom, the head teacher doesn't delegate well so I end up not doing what she wants and she'll contradict me in front of the kids. The kids then see this and know I'm not the one necessary to listen to. I know it isn't wise to quit for the future and after reading everyone's posts I'm even more nervous about it but idk how much longer I can last with this. I had a conversation with the teacher about the delegating and contradicting but nothings changed. There are extremely difficult children in the class as well. There are some children who I love and enjoy as well but it's become increasingly harder everyday to get by. I would be so much happier to spend the rest of the year enjoying my baby but many of you said, it will probably be extremely hard finding a job that will want me next year if I quit.

Oy. Yuck. Good move going to the AP. I hope they can help resolve the issue. If you have been a good worker for them all this time maybe they can find you a different position within the school so you don't have to burn that bridge.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 6:31 pm
I'm also just sick of being an assistant teacher. I'm nervous about how I'm going to say all of my issues to the principal and I feel I will chicken out and not quit anyway just due to fear

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 6:35 pm
amother wrote:
I'm also just sick of being an assistant teacher. I'm nervous about how I'm going to say all of my issues to the principal and I feel I will chicken out and not quit anyway just due to fear

Have you spoken to the lead teacher about it? "Now that we've been working together for a while, I think it would be a good idea for us to have a cup of coffee, and discuss how we can better coordinate."

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 10:02 pm
amother wrote:

Why do you have to explain yourself or have a huge discussion. The less said the better. "Im sorry, I have to resign from my position because of child care needs at home. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to work here. I really learned so much. If it is possible, I would like to have a letter of recommendation...."

The ap or boss says "Im sorry that you are leaving. Yes, I will write you a letter."

or the ap or boss says "Im sorry that you are leaving. No, I cannot write you a letter at this time.."

DONT start getting into all the classroom conflicts of interest that occured between you and the teacher etc. DROP it and stick to the script "you want out" Dont give them a story to recite to your next prospective employer.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics