Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Items for baby

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 12:19 am
Due with baby #1 and would like to get deals on anything I can- any recommendations or links to sale items? I literally don't have anything yet
Eta- I am not looking to not get certain "extras". I just figured with Black Friday coming up I can score good buys.

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 12:36 am
Remember that babies don't need much:
-something to wear (don't buy too much as many babies outgrow newborn sizes quickly!)
-car seat
- a place to sleep (pack n plays are great for this and babies r us has one on sale now for $50 with the newborn elevated level!)
- diapers and wipes (many hospitals will give some diapers but you go through tons! But don't buy too many in newborn size. Again, some babies are never in that size or don't stay very long!)
- way to eat- and if you plan to nurse technically nothing else is needed! If you are in the USA with non Medicaid insurance you will get a free breast pump. So then you only need a bottle. I don't sterilize or use an official warmer- hot water in a milchig pot works!

I go the "buy the least amount as there's tons to buy and then get that cheaply/ on sale" route.
If you have room in the budget:
Stroller and/or baby carrier
Bouncer or swing (but borrow until you get one your baby likes-many don't like bouncing but like swinging etc).
baby play mat- the one with hanging toys etc.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 7:42 am
A stroller or baby carrier is definitely needed. You need some way to transport your baby unless you plan on staying home all day.

Not sure why the poster above wrote it's a luxury??

The rest of her list seems to be good.

Other things:

Diaper cream
Nursing pads
Lanolin cream
Pacifiers
Cloth diapers
Receiving blankets
Snow suit
Out door blankets
Diaper bag
Infant seat

For later:
High chair
Exersaucer

cbg

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 8:17 am
Car seat
Onesies with mitten cuffs, many don't have them.
The blankets that look like straight jackets, can't remember what they are called at the moment, 2, they take a long time to dry.

cinnabuns

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 8:40 am
LittleDucky wrote:
If you are in the USA with non Medicaid insurance you will get a free breast pump. .

Actually medicaid provides pumps as well, use the website called Byram or yummuymummy for help getting yours free. I've heard the spectra9 is amazing bc it's portable and quiet and fits into your pocket. I ended up with the ameda

flowerpower

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 10:10 am
Car seat
Stroller
Undershirts
Stretchies
Recieving blankets
Mobile for crib
Crib
Sheets for crib
Pampers
Baby bath/ lotion
Snowsuit

m+m

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 10:27 am
Crib or bassinet
Diapers and wipes
Bottle
Formula (even if you plan to nurse its good to have on hand in case of emergency)
Undershirts
Clothes
Baby bath
Washcloths
Baby soap
Diaper cream
Nail clipper
Stroller
Car seat
Nursing pads
Nursing bra
Nipple cream
Bibs or cloth diaper

Update- regarding deals. Many stores are offering 20% off now for thanksgiving. You can get stroller, crib/bassinet, car seat for great discounts.
Also a lot of stores offer savings when you open a baby registry and buy things off the registry. Make yourself a registry and babies r us or target and then you'll get discounts for buying things off your registry.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 11:02 am
cinnabuns wrote:
Actually medicaid provides pumps as well, use the website called Byram or yummuymummy for help getting yours free. I've heard the spectra9 is amazing bc it's portable and quiet and fits into your pocket. I ended up with the ameda

Where I live it isn't free. If on that insurance You can rent from WIC but you don't get your own pump. Maybe it depends on your location...

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 11:12 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
A stroller or baby carrier is definitely needed. You need some way to transport your baby unless you plan on staying home all day.

Not sure why the poster above wrote it's a luxury??

The rest of her list seems to be good.

Other things:

Diaper cream
Nursing pads
Lanolin cream
Pacifiers
Cloth diapers
Receiving blankets
Snow suit
Out door blankets
Diaper bag
Infant seat

For later:
High chair
Exersaucer

I didn't say it was a luxury. Just that it isn't an absolute necessity. They won't let you home from the hospital if you don't have a car seat but no one asks about a stroller. Very Happy
I was trying to make the "absolute simplest" list.
Diaper cream and nursing pads- yes, can't believe I forgot those. Never used lanolin. I got a bottle and it didn't do anything for me...
I never used cloth diapers, my kids hated pacifiers, and not everywhere needs a snow suit! Plus we don't know when she's giving birth...
You don't need a diaper bag- I often use my big purse or another bag.
Infant seat?? What's that?
And exersaucers are not recommended universally now. Bad for the hips.

My goal was to minimize the "need to buy" mentality that some new moms feel and are pushed by the stores. There are so many gadgets that are money wasters. I recommend buying the absolute minimum and then filling in later as you see a need pop up. It will cut costs in the long run.

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 11:15 am
m+m wrote:
Crib or bassinet
Diapers and wipes
Bottle
Formula (even if you plan to nurse its good to have on hand in case of emergency)
Undershirts
Clothes
Baby bath
Washcloths
Baby soap
Diaper cream
Nail clipper
Stroller
Car seat
Nursing pads
Nursing bra
Nipple cream
Bibs or cloth diaper

Update- regarding deals. Many stores are offering 20% off now for thanksgiving. You can get stroller, crib/bassinet, car seat for great discounts.
Also a lot of stores offer savings when you open a baby registry and buy things off the registry. Make yourself a registry and babies r us or target and then you'll get discounts for buying things off your registry.

Babies r us is an amazing place to register. You get "points back" for everything bought on your registry which is good for future purchases when you earn enough. They also give sometimes a goody bag if you register in store with free stuff or coupons.
Target sometimes has the goody bag as well.

rgr

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 12:08 pm
Check out sites like dans deals, slick deals and kollel budget, there are tons of baby things on sale...car seats, cribs, strollers....

lucky14

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 3:35 pm
like others said, make baby registries. you'll be able to "finish off" your list from what people haven't bought you (you can make one even if you aren't planning on sharing it with everyone). I don't know about toys r us, but Target's coupon is a one-time use so add everything you think you may want and go when they're having a good sale (btw you can use this with diapers when they have a $25 gift card with $100 diaper and wipe purchase deal if you've added the diapers and wipes you want to get onto your registry).

Don't forget to ask friends and family members if they have anything you can borrow (if you have people to ask).

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 6:18 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
I didn't say it was a luxury. Just that it isn't an absolute necessity. They won't let you home from the hospital if you don't have a car seat but no one asks about a stroller. Very Happy
I was trying to make the "absolute simplest" list.
Diaper cream and nursing pads- yes, can't believe I forgot those. Never used lanolin. I got a bottle and it didn't do anything for me...
I never used cloth diapers, my kids hated pacifiers, and not everywhere needs a snow suit! Plus we don't know when she's giving birth...
You don't need a diaper bag- I often use my big purse or another bag.
Infant seat?? What's that?
And exersaucers are not recommended universally now. Bad for the hips.

My goal was to minimize the "need to buy" mentality that some new moms feel and are pushed by the stores. There are so many gadgets that are money wasters. I recommend buying the absolute minimum and then filling in later as you see a need pop up. It will cut costs in the long run.

I understood that your list was the absolute most basic, and I think that a stroller belongs on that list. I don't see how it's possible to manage without one. The rest of my list was just suggestions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics