Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Laundry hack.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 3:30 pm
I have a washer and dryer in my unit but only use the dryer when necessary. During nice weather I hang outside, during nasty weather I set up a dryer rack in front of my gas forced air fireplace and dry. I'm always looking for better ways to hang dry clothes and this morning I had a eureka moment (or a duh moment, depending on your POV).

I recently purged lots of skirts and found myself with 3 empty skirt hangers each could hang 4 skirts. This morning the light clicked on and I realized I can hang 8 pairs of socks or 8 pairs of underwear on each hanger giving me more rack space for other items.

Please share my delight!!

Miri7

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 3:32 pm
Hooray

tigerwife

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 3:33 pm
Ooh I like this! No room for a drying rack here and my railing can only hold so much Wink. Thanks!

iammom

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 3:49 pm
I've been hanging my sons pants on skirt hangers to dry also (2 pants per hanger).
It freed up space on my drying rack as well 😊

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 3:56 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Ooh I like this! No room for a drying rack here and my railing can only hold so much Wink. Thanks!

I have an incredible drying rack I bought from Lehmans (IRRC) 30 years ago and have been back to shopping for additional racks but have been too cheap to invest the money.

Today I used the upper clips on the hangers for socks and underwear and the bottom two clips for my bath towels. I have huge beams (6"x18") that run across my living room. Initially I just put some screws in the one closest to the FP to hang, sweaters etc. (They are invisible). My neighbor has really gotten this down. She bought a crummy bamboo roll up and installed it on the beam by her FP. She then removed all of the bamboo and tied fresh clean dowels/bamboo to the gizmo, I think about 6. She simply rolls it up when not in use and it is unseen by anyone. She can dry quilts on it!! Her yard isn't as big as mine so in the summer she hangs it outside.

https://www.lehmans.com/catego.....ies/a

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 4:01 pm
iammom wrote:
I've been hanging my sons pants on skirt hangers to dry also (2 pants per hanger).
It freed up space on my drying rack as well 😊

Check out the Lehman's link I posted. They still have pant stretchers!!

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 5:35 pm
Fabulous idea...too bad my dd took all the multiple skirt hangers with her when she moved out! Nah, she needed them more than I did. I use regular single skirt hangers to hang stuff like dish towels, hand towels, and pillowcases when I run out of rack space.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 8:35 pm
I use an accordion style laundry rack, mounted in the wall. Bought it on Amazon.
Just fold it up when not in use. Its great.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 8:44 pm
amother wrote:
I use an accordion style laundry rack, mounted in the wall. Bought it on Amazon.
Just fold it up when not in use. Its great.

I wish I had the place for one, there is a lovely wooden on on Lehmans. I thought long and hard about it when I moved into this space but there is just isn't anywhere it would work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry