Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
ISO MO machmir boys sleep away camp

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 8:56 pm
Hi,
We are in the NY/NJ area and are looking for a sleep away camp for our 5th grade son.

We are MO Machmir, and would also go for Yeshivish Lite.

We would love a camp that has swimming, good chinuch and lots of different activities.

Where do you send?

Thanks!

nicole81

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 9:26 pm
Dora Golding

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 10:33 pm
Thanks, we know about Dora Golding, is there anywhere else?

ruchelbuckle

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 12:23 am
Have you heard of camp chaveirim? I didn't send there, but a few of my kids classmates went. lots of kids from less yeshivish schools. Although the staff might be yeshivish, the learning is not as intense as what you'd find in other yeshivish camps, and a larger mix of kids that what you'd find at other camps. l Last year, I spoke extensively with the director, and my son ultimately decided he wanted something more yeshivish. Rabbi Beren (the director) is very easy to work with and he can tell you straight out if the camp would be a good fit for your son or not. When I spoke to Rabbi Beren last year (last summer was the first season) he told me they expected to get a crowd somewhere between Dora Golding and Bonim. I don't really know that that means, other than it might be k'dai for you to look into!

(The camp is well funded so they don't need to take anyone to fill up-- they don't want you there if it's not a good fit!)

I got the impression from the moms in my kids' school that it's a good choice for first-time campers. well-run, structure is good (not too much free time, but various activities so everyone finds what they enjoy). For example, on visiting day, if you don't have anyone visiting you, then they have a trip planned. I think that's a sign of a well-run place.

Not sure if this is a plus or minus for you, but there are not a lot of kids from the NY/NJ area. Lots of kids from "OOT" places: baltimore, silver spring, cleveland, atlanta, pittsburg, cincinnatti, etc....

chaverimovernight.com

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 12:27 am
ruchelbuckle wrote:
Have you heard of camp chaveirim? I didn't send there, but a few of my kids classmates went. lots of kids from less yeshivish schools. Although the staff might be yeshivish, the learning is not as intense as what you'd find in other yeshivish camps, and a larger mix of kids that what you'd find at other camps. l Last year, I spoke extensively with the director, and my son ultimately decided he wanted something more yeshivish. Rabbi Beren (the directory) is very easy to work with and he can tell you straight out if the camp would be a good fit for your son or not. (The camp is well funded so they don't need to take anyone to fill up-- they don't want you there if it's not a good fit!)

I got the impression from the moms in my kids' school that it's a good choice for first-time campers. well-run, structure is good (not too much free time, but various activities so everyone finds what they enjoy). For example, on visiting day, if you don't have anyone visiting you, then they have a trip planned. I think that's a sign of a well-run place.

Not sure if this is a plus or minus for you, but there are not a lot of kids from the NY/NJ area. Lots of kids from "OOT" places: baltimore, silver spring, cleveland, atlanta, pittsburg, cincinnatti, etc....

chaverimovernight.com

never sent my kids to camp chaverim ,but I know the director, he is a great guy. very earnest, very honest
I also know a kid who went there, adn loved it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics