Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Your experience with Tamiflu for children

gold21

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 4:19 pm
Can anyone share?

Would you recommend it?

Thanks.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 4:30 pm
So creepy was just gonna post the same thing. I hear that it can cause vomiting so I dont know if it's better to just treat the fever with motrin and tylenol and let it run its course..

cnc

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 4:33 pm
As I posted on a different thread I gave it to my child and she was totally fine on the third day. She did not vomit once she took it.

I used to get the flu every single year when I was a child and remember how I was totally out of commission for 10-14 days. I am very glad that there is something to give for it now..

sky

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 4:37 pm
My son got better so fast on it that I was counting the minutes until he could go back to school because he was acting totally fine (and on the rebound from feeling sick so had even more energy than normal).
I would give it if the flu is caught early enough, it could cut the duration considerably.

tweety1

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 5:04 pm
Great experience when given within 24 hrs of first symptoms. Dont even bother if its more than 36 hrs. Kids were back in school on the 3rd day

chanee

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 5:08 pm
Only when given within the 24 hours. After 36 hours, which most times you only go to the Dr until then, it's wastless. I've had great success with newnutric antiflu.

gold21

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 5:52 pm
Yes, it's within 24 hours. I took to doctor right away. Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I really appreciate the reassurance that it can help. Tongue Out

ohmygosh

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 6:12 pm
I see people mentioning giving Tamiflu only if within the first 24 hours. Just wanted to mention that the actual cutoff time for precribing Tamiflu is 48 hours, not 24.

gold21

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 6:30 pm
ohmygosh wrote:
I see people mentioning giving Tamiflu only if within the first 24 hours. Just wanted to mention that the actual cutoff time for precribing Tamiflu is 48 hours, not 24.

Thumbs Up

cnc

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 6:42 pm
ohmygosh wrote:

Correct although the sooner it is given the more of a chance it has of working. That's why people usually try to get a prescription as soon as possible even though they can technically still take it later.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 6:55 pm
I took it personally and gave it to my kids as well. It is excellent for stopping the flu symptoms and fever. I did feel very nauseous on the 3rd day. My son had the same thing. He was back in school right away, fever free. I ended up needing to pick him up anyways because he vomited in school from the Tamiflu.

momomany

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 7:00 pm
Excellent. My daughter (2nd grade) was feeling great after 1 and a half days

momomany

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 7:02 pm
cnc wrote:
As I posted on a different thread I gave it to my child and she was totally fine on the third day. She did not vomit once she took it.

I used to get the flu every single year when I was a child and remember how I was totally out of commission for 10-14 days. I am very glad that there is something to give for it now..

You can also give the vaccine to try and prevent it you know.

gold21

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 7:53 pm
Next question- my child's flu symptoms are mild. She woke up this morning acting normal and smiley, but her forehead felt hot, so I took her temperature. She had 101, so I kept her home. She didn't seem to be feeling that bad, but as I tend to be cautious, I took her to the doctor, who checked her over and ended up deciding to swab for flu to be on the safe side, although she did not present with flu-like symptoms. Anyway, the swab was positive. Is this typical for flu? Does it usually start out mild and get much worse over the course of a few days? She doesn't have any specific viral symptoms other than a mild cough/cold.

She did not receive the flu vaccine.

Thanks to your feedback, I started Tamiflu.

Anyway, just wondering what the typical course for flu is. Thanks guys.

cnc

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 8:03 pm
momomany wrote:
You can also give the vaccine to try and prevent it you know.

I took the vaccine every year. By the time I had my own kids I stopped. The flu vaccine is not exactly know for its effectiveness . Confused It's difficult to predict the strain of flu in advance so many time the flu vaccine is not appropriate for that season's flu.

cnc

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 8:08 pm
Quick research shows me that the flu vaccine was nearly 60 percent effective this year . That's a really low rate although it's much better than previous years . IIRC a couple of years ago it was closer to 35 percent effective.

gold21

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 8:19 pm
cnc wrote:
Quick research shows me that the flu vaccine was nearly 60 percent effective this year . That's a really low rate although it's much better than previous years . IIRC a couple of years ago it was closer to 35 percent effective.

Yeah, the flu vaccine is usually a bust. I heard that this year is actually decent though. I didn't give it to my kids though.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 8:35 pm
My son just got over the flu. He came home Friday from yeshiva with a mild cough. An hour later he looked out of it and had a fever of 102. Took him to the doctor right away and requested the flu test - which came up positive. He took the first dose of Tamiflu within 3 hours. The next evening (28 hours later) he did not have fever. He stayed home another 24 hours and by Monday was back in school.

There was no nauseau or vomiting. A few years ago the tamiflu was white and thick and full of pieces. My kids vomited from that one. This time they gave us a pink liquid that had a good taste and kids BH kept it down.

Miri1

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 10:10 am
Answering the question about whether the flu starts off mild:
Usually this is not the case. Whereas a cold can start off mild and take a few days to develop, the flu will usually have an onset over an hour or two - more like the person is suddenly really hit over the head with a fever and aches.

Perhaps your daughter's case is just b"H a mild one?

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 11:56 am
Thanks everyone!
She doesn't even have a fever this morning! B"H!!

Wow, this Tamiflu stuff is pretty awesome.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics