Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
SEARCH-AND-RESCUE STEAK WITH TOASTED GARLIC RUB

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 1:59 pm
This is simple recipe but adds amazing flavor. Always good to have a recipe that produces more flavor than the effort - I hate recipes where the potchke doesn't end up in a good result.

As the author writes, sautéing the garlic is simple but adds a lot. Certainly could be used to rub on chicken. I always let my meat sit for awhile - gives flavor a chance to permeate a bit and you shouldn't saute meat straight from the fridge anyway to maximize the nice sear.

SEARCH-AND-RESCUE STEAK WITH TOASTED GARLIC RUB

Excerpt From: Susanna Hoffman - Bold

SERVES 4

INGREDIENTS:

16 cloves garlic, unpeeled
2 teaspoons hot Hungarian paprika
2 teaspoons dried summer savory
1 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more for oiling the skillet
4 steaks (8 to 10 ounces each), such as New York strip or rib eye, cut ¾ to 1 inch thick

Spices, an herb, and toasted garlic rubbed into the steak turns it lively and makes for a successful deliverance from the day’s exertions. Audacious in its forthright simplicity, the rub can also be used to perk up pork or chicken or as a soup seasoning. It’s the trick of toasting the garlic that spins the rub to strikingly different.

1. To make the rub, heat a heavy skillet large enough to hold the steaks without crowding over high heat until it begins to smoke. Add the garlic and cook, using tongs to turn the cloves until charred in spots and toasty smelling, about 5 minutes. Remove the cloves and peel them. Mince or press them and place in a small bowl. Add the paprika, summer savory, salt, and the 1 tablespoon olive oil and blend together with a fork. Spread the rub on both sides of the steaks.

2. Lightly oil the skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the steaks and cook to taste, turning once, 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer the steaks to a platter, let rest for 5 minutes for the juices to settle, and then serve right away.”
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics