Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Place to buy chicken in BP (see details)

seeker

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 10:29 pm
Trying to eat healthier and I also like my meats to be nice, budget is also an issue. I often go with Empire chicken from Shop Rite because the price is not half bad and it's antibiotic-free. I buy the Tevya's natural beef from Moisha's but I haven't seen an equivalent type of chicken - just some organic chicken cutlets or something like that for around $10/lb!!! No thanks.

Shop Rite often has weak selection and I also just don't happen to like going there.

Any suggestions for chicken that is more natural and still affordable?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 11:55 pm
Keep your eye on KRM specials. Every so often they have organic chicken on sale.
They upload sales to watsonsale.com Tuesday evenings.
http://watsonsale.com/boro-par.....Modal

seeker

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 11:57 pm
Good to know, thanks! I know KRM and Moisha's are connected so I always wondered why the natural brand was only advertised at Moisha's. Never noticed it at KRM before. Do they sell Tevya's there at all? I usually look at the sales but if it's there and not advertised it would be worth it anyway.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 11:58 pm
Sure! KRM has lots of Tevya's Ranch. But they also carry chassidish shechita because of the demographics.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 12:01 am
Cool, I stopped looking at their flyers for the most part because I was never compelled to go there, but I just looked now and there's quite a list of Tevya's! Mostly the more expensive meats that I don't use, but whatever. I just wish there were an equivalent chicken. I only seem to see Tevya meats. I would love to see affordable free range chickens and eggs (but mostly chickens because eggs you can really buy anywhere, they don't need kosher sh'chita...)

sushi galore

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 4:52 am
Try Bingo, I hear they're very cheap, just not sure exactly which hechsher they have.

shanie5

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 6:31 pm
Free range, organic or pastured chickens will always be more expensive. The cost of the live chickens is more, so down the line it will also be more. It takes more space to raise those chickens than what is called 'natural' chickens.
By the way, most kosher chicken companies use chickens that are antibiotic and hormone free.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 8:05 pm
The regular supermarket labels don't say if it's hormone and antibiotic free, so how would one know? The Empire chickens say on the packaging. I never saw any indication from others but it would be really good to know SO I CAN STOP SHLEPPING THROUGH SHOPRITE!!

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 8:14 pm
try local butcher stores, not just supermarkets.
I think weber's on 12th avenue carries an organic line. there may be others.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 8:55 pm
Do you go to Costco?
I buy the Empire Natural chicken there they have a nice selection, good price as well

While I'm there I also pick up tilapia, antibiotic and hormone free and salmon.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 9:37 pm
No. I like Costco a lot but not enough to justify a membership. And it's a huge shlep - not even because the stores are so far from me (they're not farther than Moisha's) but just getting from one aisle to another is like half a mile! You need about half a day for a shopping trip, and marathon stamina. And a really large freezer, pantry, and garage for the quantities they sell. Alas.

shanie5

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 7:36 pm
seeker wrote:
The regular supermarket labels don't say if it's hormone and antibiotic free, so how would one know? The Empire chickens say on the packaging. I never saw any indication from others but it would be really good to know SO I CAN STOP SHLEPPING THROUGH SHOPRITE!!

The regular supermarkets buy their chickens in bulk and pkg it themselves. you can google the brand to find out. I use David Elliot chicken, so I googled them. Here is what I found:

http://www.koshereye.com/vip-c.....krLIU

http://blog.parkeastkosher.com.....vore/

Try googling the brands you see in the stores by you.

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 8:03 pm
Thanks for the tip. I'm not really optimistic that the brands of chickens repackaged and sold in, say, KRM have their own websites but you never know...

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 8:24 pm
David Elliott is known to be antibiotic and hormone free for good prices. I haven't heard that other brands are.

shanie5

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 8:49 pm
seeker wrote:
Thanks for the tip. I'm not really optimistic that the brands of chickens repackaged and sold in, say, KRM have their own websites but you never know...

David Elliot is sold in new york-I can find out which stores if you want me too.
The repackaged chickens I've seen usually have the brand written on it.

shanie5

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 8:51 pm
ra_mom wrote:
David Elliott is known to be antibiotic and hormone free for good prices. I haven't heard that other brands are.

I'm fairly sure that Moshe Fink (one of the owners of David Elliot) is the one who told me that most kosher chicken is 'natural' these days. I can ask him again when I next see him.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 8:54 pm
Thanks!

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 9:04 pm
Thanks, Shanie!

shanie5

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 4:31 pm
OK, I saw Moshe Fink and asked him about the natural chickens. He said that the chicken industry itself is geared to non hormone chicken. At one time, chickens were given hormones and 'other nasty stuff' that were later found to be not so good for us. So they pretty much stopped using them.
As for antibiotics, they are used in limited and necessary quantities (I think). Those are needed.

David Elliot chickens are available at Glatt Mart, KRM-which probably means Moishes also-and in crown heights. Kingston s/t I think he said.

Any other questions, I will be glad to ask.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics