Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Lakewood - why is Bais yaakov high school the first choice?
Previous  1  2  3  4

debsey

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 12:49 am
amother wrote:
Do you send there? How can you say it's untrue? I spoke to people that send there. The big names kids always have big parts in plays and things like that.

One of my closest friends sends there. She doesn't have two pennies to her name. Husband is a rebbe. Her daughter is GO President. She says she's always been impressed by how the school is so fair when it comes to jobs, parts, etc.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 8:07 am
Its not so effective to mention "horror stories" without any concrete examples.
My experience with Oros has been amazing. The teachers are interesting,warm and aren't afraid to tackle any issue. The academics are high without intense pressure or competion. The principal is a brilliant mechaneches who really understands girls. It's a fun, warm and stimulating school.

Simple1

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 8:19 am
I heard a horror story about one of the "good" schools. (Happened to my dd's friend, a good, mature girl). I think stories can happen anywhere. If a good girl isn't a fit for a school, principal or teachers, things can go wrong anywhere.

Conversely, many many girls have great experiences in the "lower rated" schools. (As well as some having horror stories too.

Simple1

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 8:36 am
debsey wrote:
One of my closest friends sends there. She doesn't have two pennies to her name. Husband is a rebbe. Her daughter is GO President. She says she's always been impressed by how the school is so fair when it comes to jobs, parts, etc.

This really should be a spinoff, but no matter how fair the school is, there are always girls who are going to be very disappointed with their play parts, to the point it's best not to count on it for your personal fulfillment. And in bigger schools it's going to be harder. Would be nice if there was a good solution.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 9:15 am
amother wrote:
Shira's Devorah the good positions and parts and things like that goes to sanders friends and wealthy donors. Dunno if I want my daughter to have to compete with that.
completly conpletly not true

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 9:23 am
A friend of mine did feel that her quiet, studious daughter did not get the chance to shine in SD, and her bubbly daughter does...but I think that can happen in any school, unless it's a small school. She was very happy in SD for other reasons - a school is much more than just extra-curricular activities.

Oros is very academic. I've heard from some people whose daughters felt a little burn out by the time they were half way thru. If your daughter doesn't do well with academic pressure, it might not be a good fit.

Other than that, I personally haven't heard any horror stories about Oros....it's considered a good school. I believe they are looking for a somewhat yeshivish crowd. If you fit that, it could be a good choice for you.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 9:28 am
amother wrote:
That's the thing my daughter would do well in such a school. She is not that type of kid to want to make a statement. Now where do I send her?

BY and SD might both be good choices. Oros could be a 3rd choice. By now, you also have to come up with a 4th choice.

Which school is your DD currently in? I found it very helpful to speak to my child's principal for guidance. She will be the one the schools will speak to about your DD, so it's great to get her on board. Her opinion could be very valuable. Ask her what she thinks.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 10:31 am
amother wrote:
Do you send there? How can you say it's untrue? I spoke to people that send there. The big names kids always have big parts in plays and things like that.

Do YOU send there? It sounds like you're basing this on hearsay...

UQT

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 9:07 pm
I send to Oros. My daughter is in 9th grade so I can't say I know it perfectly - but so far we've been very happy. She loves going to school (are all HS like camp - a different activity every day?). She happens to be very academic and loves all the learning. Her class size is a manageable 30. They did up to 4 classes for 9 (11th only has 2 classes) so it's growing fast.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. I know how hard it is to make a decision! Last year they made sure that all 8th graders had a school before sending out acceptances, hopefully they will do that again this year to avoid heartbreak:)

I did find my daughters' elementary principals to be very helpful as far as high school guidance.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 10:10 pm
amother wrote:
Its not so effective to mention "horror stories" without any concrete examples.
My experience with Oros has been amazing. The teachers are interesting,warm and aren't afraid to tackle any issue. The academics are high without intense pressure or competion. The principal is a brilliant mechaneches who really understands girls. It's a fun, warm and stimulating school.

Brilliant perhaps. Understanding? Not so much.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 10:35 pm
amother wrote:
Brilliant perhaps. Understanding? Not so much.

That's what I would think too, she was my teacher in seminary, and her classes were fascinating, but many times went right over our heads. When I heard she was being a high school principal I was horrified, I really didn't believe she was someone who could understand, connect with and work with teenagers. But I've spoken to teachers and parents in Oros and I was told that she's great with the girls.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 10:36 pm
I have a lot of personal experience with her. And most people I know will agree with me.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 11:51 pm
Firebrick would you recommend another school?

Can I email you anonymously I really need help?
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics