Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Teacher expects me to reteach the lesson

shnitzel

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 5:21 pm
My daughter's teacher wrote a note on her report card that she isn't getting Chumash because we don't review it at home. We do it at home every night and half the time she doesn't know a single translation the other half she gets everything right. I don't see how "reviewing" it would make her suddenly know what she does not. Her teacher is old school and teaches by chanting and writing hard words on the board. When I spoke to her I suggested my daughter be allowed to write the translations and pictures of the words at her desk but the teacher dismissed it and told me that's something they do in remedial, she left zero room to budge.

I would still struggle with that style of learning now. I refuse to spend an hour teaching Dd from scratch, I believe what she does know she teaches herself and it isn't homework to completely reteach everything.

Is it terrible to write a nicely worded note saying just that on her report card. We already spend an hour a night doing homework in second grade and I usually have no help in the evening so there is zero way to add another hour and give her my full attention as she is not my only child.

Jeanette

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 5:25 pm
No it's not fair to make you reteach the lesson but it's even more unfair not to allow your daughter to use techniques and learning styles that work for her. If the teacher is intractable it's time for a talk with the principal.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 8:23 pm
if she said they do that in remedial, why not place your daughter in remedial? it sounds like she'd do better there. in this case, remedial is not for kids who are behind, they just can't handle the regular teacher's methods. sounds like a good opportunity for your daughter.

smile12345

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 8:44 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
if she said they do that in remedial, why not place your daughter in remedial? it sounds like she'd do better there. in this case, remedial is not for kids who are behind, they just can't handle the regular teacher's methods. sounds like a good opportunity for your daughter.

I think it depends.
Although they shouldn't, kids often feel a bit of a stigma attached among their peers when going to remedial.
So if her dd is fine in all the other classes then there's not really any need for it - this teacher is required to be less rigid.

ValleyMom

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 8:49 pm
As a teacher I feel compelled to say that it appears that you daughters teacher is OLD SCHOOL- nowadays, in the 21st Century teachers understand that ALL children have different styles and modalities of learning and it is OUR job, as teachers, to meet the individual needs of ALL our students by differentiating and reteaching differently until all the students understand the concept.

It is LAZY teaching to expect parents to reteach at home.

Parents can reinforce, drill or practice but I NEVER expect my "parents to "reteach".

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 8:57 pm
smile12345 wrote:
I think it depends.
Although they shouldn't, kids often feel a bit of a stigma attached among their peers when going to remedial.
So if her dd is fine in all the other classes then there's not really any need for it - this teacher is required to be less rigid.

I get that, but the teacher obviously IS rigid. if the op could make sure her dd did not feel a stigma attached to remedial class, this is an option.

ValleyMom

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 8:58 pm
OR...
Maybe the teacher could try something radical like reteaching her lesson in a different way!!!

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 9:40 pm
I think you need to go back to the teacher (speak to her- no note writing) and explain to her everything you just said to us. Even if you said it to her already, tell her again. Then remind her that you are partners in the education process and you need her help to come up with a different way to teach your daughter. Explain to her what type of learner your daughter is, you probably know already if she learns better with visuals or auditory etc. I think with the "old fashioned" type if you sound like you have ideas, you know what you are talking about and are confident and the reminder that it is a team effort the teacher may wake up a bit. If that doesn't work I would have a chat with the principal. I am sure your daughter is NOT the only one having issues. Good luck and don't let her bully you.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 10:08 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
OR...
Maybe the teacher could try something radical like reteaching her lesson in a different way!!!

obviously, that would be ideal. however, that is somewhere between unlikely and impossible. the teacher is obviously unwilling to change. I have dealt with many such old school teachers. the entire time you spend trying to convince them to do their job properly, your kid continues suffering. the teaching method doesn't change, and your child has a negative experience all year. if there's another option, grab it and run. teachers who refuse to cater to a simple request for the benefit of a student are likely to do more harm to the student than the indignity of being placed in a remedial class, especially if the remedial class WILL cater to the student.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 10:12 pm
amother wrote:
I think you need to go back to the teacher (speak to her- no note writing) and explain to her everything you just said to us. Even if you said it to her already, tell her again. Then remind her that you are partners in the education process and you need her help to come up with a different way to teach your daughter. Explain to her what type of learner your daughter is, you probably know already if she learns better with visuals or auditory etc. I think with the "old fashioned" type if you sound like you have ideas, you know what you are talking about and are confident and the reminder that it is a team effort the teacher may wake up a bit. If that doesn't work I would have a chat with the principal. I am sure your daughter is NOT the only one having issues. Good luck and don't let her bully you.

I just hope the op's kid's school is more respectful of parents than the ones I used to send my kids to. in those schools, bringing up teaching methods to the teacher automatically raised red flags for "crazy parent." the principals either backed the teachers up 100% or told me "zol zeyn a kappara" when I voiced a complaint about the teacher's inappropriate treatment of my kid and myself. old school teachers generally have a "my way or the highway" attitude, and those are accepted in certain environments.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics