Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Teen truancy

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 9:26 am
Anyone have experience with a teen with ASD regularly not getting to school on time or at all?

You check thoroughly, and find no real social issues, everyone gets along, and no real academic issues, except from the truancy.

Help.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 9:56 am
Maybe he needs days off, breaks from the pressures and sensory stimulation of school. How about schedule some days off for each month with your permission. Maybe a Friday here, a Sunday there, etc... it's really win win if you are able to be home and supervise his comings and goings and he gets to have a break as well. Just an idea. Have a talk with him about why he does this. Open communication. If you aren't his mother you can recommend this to her.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 12:05 pm
OP here. Yes, I'm the mom.

Thanks, I'll look into the sensory thing. Maybe we can figure something out with school.

DC just grunts and won't talk to me about the problems, but also complains of head and stomach pains, especially when there has been something loud that day.

Sleep is also a huge issue. It's impossible to enforce a bedtime at this age, we're already doing melatonin, and I don't know what else will help create a more productive wake up.

DC says having something to look forward to helps, and I try to bring breakfast in bed, and do anything else I can think of to get the day started right, but it's a constant battle. The kid is too old for me to dress!

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 11:51 am
Headaches, stomach aches, and sleep issues are all symptoms of anxiety. He may not actually be anxious about anything particular, sometimes anxiety is a condition all on it's own, like clinical depression. He needs to be evaluated by his psychiatrist, and see if he needs anxiety medication, therapy, or both.

~signed, mother of an anxious teen who skips classes. Confused
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)