Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Does $30 wash and set still exist in BP?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Smile.

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 8:20 pm
silly wrote:
My shaitel macher charges 30 off th head.. im very very happy with her.. (I wear a band)

Who do u use?

silly

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 9:01 pm
I use german by 15 and 45

kerem

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 11:15 pm
Heaven scent on 13th Ave advertised wash and sets for $25.

amother
White

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 11:56 pm
amother wrote:
Can we have some Sheitels machers on here enlighten us why they charge such ridiculous amounts? '
Is there a reason for it or is it just because you know people don't have a choice and will have to shell out hard earned money to look decent?

Why do doctors charge so much? Is it because they know we have no choice but to go to them when we are sick and spend our hard earned money?
Your logic makes no sense. They are doing you a service they can charge whatever they want- learn how to do it yourself if you have such a problem with it

amother
White

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 11:58 pm
amother wrote:
Can we have some Sheitels machers on here enlighten us why they charge such ridiculous amounts? '
Is there a reason for it or is it just because you know people don't have a choice and will have to shell out hard earned money to look decent?

Why do doctors charge so much? Is it because they know we have no choice but to go to them when we are sick and spend our hard earned money?
Your logic makes no sense. They are doing you a service they can charge whatever they want- learn how to do it yourself if you have such a problem with it

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 2:30 am
Uh,oh don't get me started on this one. Sheitel marchers are money hungry. They don't do a doctors job! My life doesn't depend on them. How dare you compare. And no I can't afford them so I don't go to them. They know that they are expensive but because they think we are ok with it. So they do what they want. Have no to answer for. It's a painful subject. To say the least.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 3:08 am
I live in a city with almost no frum Jews. About 3 frum women who wear sheitals. There are 2 wig salons that cater mainly to ppl with alopecia and cancer. I've been taking my wig to one salon for about 15 years. They used to charge @$25, over the years it has crept up and now they charge $50.

I now either wash it myself or have it done when I travel to a city with a lower cost of living.

I'm guessing it takes a good hour of attention to wash and set a wig. Plus the cost of equipment, shampoo etc (my salon claims to use organic shampoo which is more expensive)..$25 or $30 is pretty low when you think about it that way.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 6:58 am
It's a chutzpah to just go up and up in price because "why not, people will pay regardless". I don't understand how they are ok with ripping people off. It's not like a quality item you're purchasing that'll last forever, this is human hair that'll need to be reset in a few weeks (days)!
Just because "everyone" does it doesn't make it ok.
If anyone knows of any decent Sheitelmacher please post her information so we can all benefit from and support her.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 7:13 am
amother wrote:
It's a chutzpah to just go up and up in price because "why not, people will pay regardless". I don't understand how they are ok with ripping people off. It's not like a quality item you're purchasing that'll last forever, this is human hair that'll need to be reset in a few weeks (days)!
Just because "everyone" does it doesn't make it ok.
If anyone knows of any decent Sheitelmacher please post her information so we can all benefit from and support her.

Seriously? Why is it more ok to charge for a one night hair do or one night makeup application upwards of $75 but a wig who's set will last you 4 weeks is a rip off if you charge $50????

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 7:26 am
amother wrote:
Seriously? Why is it more ok to charge for a one night hair do or one night makeup application upwards of $75 but a wig who's set will last you 4 weeks is a rip off if you charge $50????

Please post who is still charging $75 for wedding hair or makeup.... that's already a metziah.
My wig sets actually last 3-4 months so I can sort of justify the price...

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 7:33 am
amother wrote:
Please post who is still charging $75 for wedding hair or makeup.... that's already a metziah.
My wig sets actually last 3-4 months so I can sort of justify the price...

Yeah you're right. I do my own makeup I only remember that price from like 10 years ago.

Can you imagine what I think when a penny pinching client tells me she's paying a bargain $75 for her makeup and then goes on to complain that $50 is so expensive for her wig (which gets washed once in 3 months. ) shock

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 8:24 am
The way I understand it, the shaitel machers start off low, barely making money, in order to try to build a clientele.
As they become more busy, and the business starts to take over their life, they are forced to hire babysitters in order to accommodate clients, and so the price goes up.
Then it becomes too much to handle on their own, so they hire help with washing and initial blow drying before setting.
Not very many of the shaitel machers are raking it in. The only ones I see who are, are the very exclusive ones who are selling high end shaitels every day. And even that comes with blood sweat and tears. Wash and sets do not make one rich, even with a large clientele. People are just making a parnasa like everyone else. You should see what theirs and their employees hands looks like. Burned and dry from washing and setting.
If you can't pay the big bucks like me, go elsewhere. There are still places that don't charge that much. Or learn to do it yourself. Those of us that have tried to do it ourselves realize the value in what we are paying for.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 8:39 am
ra_mom wrote:
The way I understand it, the shaitel machers start off low, barely making money, in order to try to build a clientele.
As they become more busy, and the business starts to take over their life, they are forced to hire babysitters in order to accommodate clients, and so the price goes up.
Then it becomes too much to handle on their own, so they hire help with washing and initial blow drying before setting.
Not very many of the shaitel machers are raking it in. The only ones I see who are, are the very exclusive ones who are selling high end shaitels every day. And even that comes with blood sweat and tears. Wash and sets do not make one rich, even with a large clientele. People are just making a parnasa like everyone else. You should see what theirs and their employees hands looks like. Burned and dry from washing and setting.
If you can't pay the big bucks like me, go elsewhere. There are still places that don't charge that much. Or learn to do it yourself. Those of us that have tried to do it ourselves realize the value in what we are paying for.

I totally agree with you. My SM charges 45/ 50 depending on the length . I was so annoyed that she went up but then I tried to figure out how she's actually making money! I sit in her chair for almost half an hour besides for the time that she spent washing and setting my wig before I arrived . That means she probably has 2 customers an hour- bringing in $90 or $100 an hour. She's paying two girls that blow dry for her (probably around $15 each an hour) plus a babysitter in her house (12 -13 an hour).....plus the cost of products- shampoo etc...

End result is I realized I actually make more money than her. I make around $50 a 45 minute period teaching high school. ( barely any preparation because I'm teaching for a very very long time..)

ETA: I think the reason it bothered me in the beginning that she went up was because she started at $30 and in a year and a half she went up by$15. I told my DH that these SM are really raking it in!!!! But then I thought about it and came to the above conclusions .

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 8:51 am
I'm so glad I never used a sheitel macher. I've always washed and set my own. I would never have the $ to spend on wash and sets. And there are people that do it every 4 weeks!
I never understood why a new sheitel to be cut costs over $350.00. It takes approx a half hour to an hour to cut. Why is CUTTING so expensive?

bigsis144

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 8:58 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
I'm so glad I never used a sheitel macher. I've always washed and set my own. I would never have the $ to spend on wash and sets. And there are people that do it every 4 weeks!
I never understood why a new sheitel to be cut costs over $350.00. It takes approx a half hour to an hour to cut. Why is CUTTING so expensive?

I assume it's because cutting is irreversible -- the hair will never grow back if they mess up or do it not quite the way you wanted.

So the cut price is an "insurance" of sorts? I dunno

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 8:59 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:

Consider yourself lucky!! I have two left hands. I've watched countless You Tube videos and still can't even use a curling iron properly Sad

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 9:50 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:

I'll try to explain a little bit. My scissors cost me $400 a piece and I have a lot of them and keep on upgrading. They need sharpening every so often which is at least $40 a pop. I am constantly attending workshops and educational classes which cost a LOT of money.
I spend at least an hour cutting when the client is in the chair. Another half hour touching up the cut after the client is gone. Then she is back to pick up the wig and we snip if necessary. And then she has 6 months to come back and adjust the cut till she's comfortable.
I tell ya at $250 (which is what I charge) you're getting a bargain!

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 9:58 am
Thank you ramom and amother ecru.
I feel really bad for clients that can't afford the services. But guess what? I have bills to pay too. We are not money hungry we are a hard working clan earning our rightful pay through our sweat and blood literally.
I'm not complaining. I love what I do and I love making people pretty.
But it irks me when people complain (not to me really, my clients appreciate my work) and say we're raking it in.
I once saw a good quote "Don't say I'm too expensive, just say you can't afford me, it makes more sense".

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 10:38 am
Cornflower, how much do you charge?

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 10:41 am
amother wrote:
Uh,oh don't get me started on this one. Sheitel marchers are money hungry. They don't do a doctors job! My life doesn't depend on them. How dare you compare. And no I can't afford them so I don't go to them. They know that they are expensive but because they think we are ok with it. So they do what they want. Have no to answer for. It's a painful subject. To say the least.

money hungry?

do u know shaitel machers dont get paid vacation? paid sick days? they need to update their equipment get new supplies constantly.. they need to pay babysitters..

dont get ME started.

a "shaitel macher" is a small business owner like any other. they have expenses, they charged according to supply and demand. u dont want to use them? use the newbies, who charge $25.

I cant afford these prices to be honest, but that doesnt me they shouldnt be charging it. if I cant afford it, I am not their ideal client. simple.

im not a shaitel macher, but I do work in a field where ppl say "how dare u charge..."
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries