Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Bathroom vanity top: granite or marble

L K

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 8:31 pm
I have to replace a broken sink and vanity top.

I've Found a granite one on a very good sale in a nice color that would match the floor tile and existing toilet.

However, there's a marble piece on the floor under the door (molding?). Marble would definitely match perfectly and bring the whole bathroom together but it's more expensive and I'm not sure how it compares to granite in terms of resistance.

Will granite clash with that piece of marble? Floor is light grey hexagonal tiles prob circa 1980-s, toilet light grey, marble white with light grey. Granite I found is color Napoli, also light grey but diff from the existing piece of marble.

It's meant for downstairs 1/2 bath, I could expect girls to use hair irons in the future, not sure if we'd use substances that stain there. Can't think now. Any advice?

L K

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 9:11 am
Bump

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 10:20 am
Marble is definitely not as resistant to damage as granite. My friend has marble counters in her kitchen but she doesn't mind the etching that occurs.

With a bathroom counter you would probably get issues with the girls dripping stuff and nit immediately cleaning off gels, sprays etc.

My friend has a master bath all done in Calcutta marble and it's gorgeous but they are not careless with it like kids might be.

Regarding heat, my friend has the marble counters and she does put hot stuff on the counter from the oven. However I am not sure what would happen if you left a curling iron in it all day.

Not sure about the styling issue as I can't picture it. Is the molding so extensive that it would look odd with contrasting counters?

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 10:30 am
Granite is absolutely more stain resistant than marble. Marble is particularly affected by acids. So granite is the safer choice, and is the better choice if you're not quick on the cleanup and if it goes well enough with the rest of the decor.

L K

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 4:09 pm
Here are the pics of bathroom and vanity top:

And here's the vanity top (couldn't pull the picture):
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Pegas.....45894

Eta: I'll have to paint the walls a light color obviously.

kitchen designer

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 4:17 pm
Looks fine

L K

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 9:44 pm
Then there's this one in marble:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Pegas.....83226

Anybody knows if it's a decent quality company?

Lani22

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 10:14 pm
I have marble in my bathrooms, you definitely have to be more careful. If anything drips and is not wiped up right away it might stain. Most marble counteracts have a sealant on them so that should prevent most stains.... if this is just a powder room I would go with the marble...

Lani22

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 10:15 pm
I have marble in my bathrooms, you definitely have to be more careful. If anything drips and is not wiped up right away it might stain. Most marble counteracts have a sealant on them so that should prevent most stains.... if this is just a powder room I would go with the marble...

veiznisht

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 11:56 pm
I'd go with granite.

L K

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 7:19 pm
Lani22 wrote:

Not sure what you mean by powder room.
It's a first floor half-bath that's used often by children, as that's the floor the family spends time until bedtime. Upstairs bathrooms are for showers, baths etc.

L K

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 7:19 pm
veiznisht wrote:
I'd go with granite.

You don't think these particular colors will clash?

icebreaker

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 7:25 pm
I'm biased because I have marble and absolutely love marble lol.

Lani22

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 10:46 pm
L K wrote:
Not sure what you mean by powder room.
It's a first floor half-bath that's used often by children, as that's the floor the family spends time until bedtime. Upstairs bathrooms are for showers, baths etc.

Sorry.... a powder room refers to a bathroom on your main floor without a shower or bath. Since nobody will be brushing teeth, putting on make up or using lotions etc I think it's safe to get marble.

L K

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 11:14 pm
Some of my kids already sneak toothpaste into that bathroom during morning rush; not so sure about them not using makeup there when they get older lol

sprayonlove

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 3:51 am
I would go with the marble one

Miri1

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 8:19 am
I would keep away from marble. It's beautiful, but it gets watermarks. I'm sure you don't want to be paranoid about people wiping up water in a bathroom!
And if it yellows it is hard to get it white again.
I know someone who spent a fortune on marble everything, and really regrets it.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 3:18 pm
We had the same piece of marble in our bathroom doorway and we put in a granite counter top. It looks beautiful. No one notices the marble on the floor.

L K

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 11:44 am
Ok, thank you everyone.
I'm ordering granite, will start fixing the bathroom in the meantime.

L K

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 11:46 am
On a side note, is eggshell paint ok for bathroom?
Current paint in this bathroom shows major water streaks on the walls from hand washing (don't know what type of paint they used).

I thought maybe you have to use semigloss but people at lowes said the problem is due to a poor paint job, probably there's currently only one layer and you should be good with two layers of eggshell.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics