Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
SPICY SAUSAGE-AND-CHICKPEA SOUP WITH GARLIC OIL

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 12:56 pm
Hearty but easy soup that really almost made itself. Very Happy it was a nice dinner with some crusty bread and a green salad.

SPICY SAUSAGE-AND-CHICKPEA SOUP WITH GARLIC OIL

Excerpt From: Editors of Southern Living Magazine - Southern Living 2016 Annual Recipes: Every Single Recipe From 2016

Spicy Italian sausage gives this soup a kick, but you can also substitute sweet Italian sausage.

SERVES 6 (serving size: 1½ cups) ACTIVE 20 min. TOTAL 50 min.

¼ cup olive oil
6 garlic cloves, sliced
1 lb. spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
1 cup chopped yellow onion (about 1 onion)
½ cup chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
½ cup chopped carrots (about 2 large carrots)
4 cups chicken broth
1 (15-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
1 (15-oz.) can chickpeas (garbanzos), drained
½ tsp. black pepper
4 cups chopped Lacinato kale (about 3 ½ oz.)

1. Cook oil and garlic in a large saucepan over medium until garlic begins to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove and discard garlic; reserve 3 tablespoons of the garlic oil.

2. Increase heat to medium-high. Add sausage to pan; cook, stirring often, until browned and crumbled, about 6 minutes. Remove sausage from pan; drain on paper towels. Add onion, celery, and carrots to pan; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in broth, tomatoes, chickpeas, and pepper; stir in sausage. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 20 minutes. Stir in kale; cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Drizzle each serving with ½ tablespoon reserved garlic oil.

cooksallday

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 3:20 pm
sounds delish, want to try this!

Amarante

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 3:26 pm
cooksallday wrote:
sounds delish, want to try this!

Hope you enjoy it - the garlic oil was a really nice touch and soup was very fast and easy to prep.

Like all soups, it is even better the next day. Very Happy

I have a few soups that use greens at the end and if I am not serving immediately, I will just put the greens in the individual bowls and then when I heat up the soup, I will add the serving of greens so that they don't become slimy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics